V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC
Mar 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #661 of 710
Quote:
The lightning to 30 pin adapter is confirmed to have a wolfson dac. It also supports digital out bypassing said dac if the connected device is apple certified. Or you could have DHC mod a regular lightning cable to be as small as you need and skip the bulk of the 30 pin adapter being in the middle.

Thanks and I just learn something new.  I did another quick test of the VERZA with my iPhone 4S and found it sounding the same compare to my iPod Touch 5th Gen, so I guess you are right that the adapter is bypassing the Wolfson or else they would have sounded different.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #662 of 710
Quote:

It does. It uses a Wolfson 8533 DAC :-

http://www.chipworks.com/blog/recentteardowns/2012/10/18/inside-the-apple-lightning-to-30-pin-adapter/

That's interesting. So the lighting to 30-pin is somewhat more versatile in that you could choose between analogue lineout or digital. Kinda weird using it for digital though 'cos you're bypassing the iDevice's Cirrus Logic, and the adapter's Wolfson 8533. But good to know that you could if you wanted to.

I thought digital out had only one option with the Lighting->microUSB adapter only.

Actually the 30 pin adapter came out first and the 9 pin to micro USB later.  I would definitely get the micro USB adapter when I get around to it, as I can use the 90 degree cable from the VERZA with it and make my setup sticking out less on the bottom.  Of course ideally V-MODA will just make and sell us such cable for more profit and happy customers.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #663 of 710
Quote:
The lightning to 30 pin adapter is confirmed to have a wolfson dac. It also supports digital out bypassing said dac if the connected device is apple certified.

Ooh, didnt know you could skip the adapter with an apple certified device.

Dr Sheep, can you do a biit more Ear testing with the different configarations, please.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #664 of 710
Quote:
Ooh, didnt know you could skip the adapter with an apple certified device.

Dr Sheep, can you do a biit more Ear testing with the different configarations, please.

Sure, but what kind of config you would like to see?  Source wise I have the iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 5th Gen, and the Zune HD, and as promised I will need to test it with and with out the adapter.  I guess I can do another one with the computer against the DragonFly too.  Too bad I don't have anything else like a Cowon Z2 or X9 or even an iPhone 5, so my tests could be a bit one sided since the 4S and 5th uses the same chipset.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #665 of 710
Quote:
Sure, but what kind of config you would like to see?  Source wise I have the iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 5th Gen, and the Zune HD, and as promised I will need to test it with and with out the adapter.  I guess I can do another one with the computer against the DragonFly too.  Too bad I don't have anything else like a Cowon Z2 or X9 or even an iPhone 5, so my tests could be a bit one sided since the 4S and 5th uses the same chipset.

Iphone 4s, -ipod touch 5th gen. with and without adapter.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #666 of 710
Quote:
Iphone 4s, -ipod touch 5th gen. with and without adapter.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655315/v-moda-vamp-verza-metallo-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-crowdsourcing-ideas/210#post_9270737

Done.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #667 of 710
Quote:

That's interesting. So the lighting to 30-pin is somewhat more versatile in that you could choose between analogue lineout or digital. Kinda weird using it for digital though 'cos you're bypassing the iDevice's Cirrus Logic, and the adapter's Wolfson 8533. But good to know that you could if you wanted to.

And if you connect to the VERZA, you use one of its two DACs in this setup -- the Burr-Brown (I think), leaving the AKM idle.  Four DACs housed in a single portable rig; that must be some sort of record.    :)

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #668 of 710
Quote:

And if you connect to the VERZA, you use one of its two DACs in this setup -- the Burr-Brown (I think), leaving the AKM idle.  Four DACs housed in a single portable rig; that must be some sort of record.    :)

I'm gonna port this over to the VERZA thread. Hang in there...

Edit: Done: http://www.head-fi.org/t/655315/v-moda-vamp-verza-metallo-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-crowdsourcing-ideas/255#post_9274855

May 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #669 of 710
While the original Vamp is yesterday's news at this point, I would like to share something I think is interesting that I shared with V-Moda yesterday.

Last month, I sent Vamp back to V-Moda to have the volume output evaluated since it didn't seem to go any louder than my Iphone.  I also recently purchased Verza and noticed that I would only listen around half volume, yet Vamp has a higher power rating through the Iphone (150mw vs. 130mw). Many here expressed concern I would be blowing out my eardrum listening at max volume, so I was hoping that V-Moda would check that out and sent my Vamp to V-Moda for evaluation.  Vamp was returned to me a few weeks later, with no note and no improvement in sound, so I assumed they concluded there was nothing wrong with it and went back to enjoying my Verza.

A week later, the volume knob breaks off my Vamp!  Rather than a metal connector, it is thin plastic.  This actually turned out to be the best thing that could have happened regarding my Vamp.  I sent the unit back to V-Moda and in keeping up with their overall excellent customer service, they sent me a new replacement Vamp since I would guess mine was non-repairable.  It turns out the replacement Vamp is MUCH louder than my original Vamp- on par regarding loudness and SQ with Verza, so there was an issue with my Vamp after all which is why I mentioned listening near full volume and can now see why those with proper Vamps would say I could ruin my hearing at top listening levels as I rarely go beyond half volume now.

As one or two others commented about similar volume issues, I am wondering if there are defective units that don't bypass the Iphone's internal amp?  If you have a Vamp that doesn't go louder than your Iphone would directly, I would say based on my experience you have a defective unit and would suggest contacting V-Moda.

I now have my Iphone 4 properly paired with Vamp sounding as it should and have Verza safely tucked away for when I upgrade my Iphone, so at least there is a happy ending.  Now back to Vamp, M-100 and Sig DJ.  I am content.

May 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #670 of 710
Quote:
While the original Vamp is yesterday's news at this point, I would like to share something I think is interesting that I shared with V-Moda yesterday.

Last month, I sent Vamp back to V-Moda to have the volume output evaluated since it didn't seem to go any louder than my Iphone.  I also recently purchased Verza and noticed that I would only listen around half volume, yet Vamp has a higher power rating through the Iphone (150mw vs. 130mw). Many here expressed concern I would be blowing out my eardrum listening at max volume, so I was hoping that V-Moda would check that out and sent my Vamp to V-Moda for evaluation.  Vamp was returned to me a few weeks later, with no note and no improvement in sound, so I assumed they concluded there was nothing wrong with it and went back to enjoying my Verza.

A week later, the volume knob breaks off my Vamp!  Rather than a metal connector, it is thin plastic.  This actually turned out to be the best thing that could have happened regarding my Vamp.  I sent the unit back to V-Moda and in keeping up with their overall excellent customer service, they sent me a new replacement Vamp since I would guess mine was non-repairable.  It turns out the replacement Vamp is MUCH louder than my original Vamp- on par regarding loudness and SQ with Verza, so there was an issue with my Vamp after all which is why I mentioned listening near full volume and can now see why those with proper Vamps would say I could ruin my hearing at top listening levels as I rarely go beyond half volume now.

As one or two others commented about similar volume issues, I am wondering if there are defective units that don't bypass the Iphone's internal amp?  If you have a Vamp that doesn't go louder than your Iphone would directly, I would say based on my experience you have a defective unit and would suggest contacting V-Moda.

I now have my Iphone 4 properly paired with Vamp sounding as it should and have Verza safely tucked away for when I upgrade my Iphone, so at least there is a happy ending.  Now back to Vamp, M-100 and Sig DJ.  I am content.

This explains a lot.  I figured there was NO WAY you were listening to this thing at full volume and still had your hearing intact!  Good to hear though man!

May 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #671 of 710
With their customer service, I'm really surprised that they would inspect it and think it was ok. That's too bad, but I'm glad you have a happy ending. I think the vamp is awesome! I only use my verza more because its connected to my ipod classic and that holds all my lossless files. I'd still be VERY happy if my Vamp were all I had (but I'm glad it's not).

May 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #672 of 710
Quote:
With their customer service, I'm really surprised that they would inspect it and think it was ok. That's too bad, but I'm glad you have a happy ending. I think the vamp is awesome! I only use my verza more because its connected to my ipod classic and that holds all my lossless files. I'd still be VERY happy if my Vamp were all I had (but I'm glad it's not).

Due to good timing, I was able to purchase both new for $530 combined, so I really can't complain.  I agree they both have their place for Iphone 4 owners.  Also, Verza is a worthy successor.  It is frustrating with Vamp that I can't charge my Iphone directly and certainly don't want to regularly remove my Iphone from Vamp since that is a delicate process.

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #674 of 710
I like the sound signiqure of the vamp but its too big! if i eq using a spectrum analyzer to make it exact, is it possible to make my IFUZEN amp sound exactley like it, if I EQ it right? Or is there more to its sound then just the EQ?

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #675 of 710
Quote:
I like the sound signiqure of the vamp but its too big! if i eq using a spectrum analyzer to make it exact, is it possible to make my IFUZEN amp sound exactley like it, if I EQ it right? Or is there more to its sound then just the EQ?

There is a lot more to sound than EQ. Think of EQ like fine tuning a car engine. You can tweak some things to affect performance to a degree, but a Honda Civic will never run like an Acura NSX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back