V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews.
Sep 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #107 of 925
Quote:
It's about burn-in time, so if you have your headphones on continuously you will achieve the alleged burn-in benefits more quickly.

I know this is off topic, but while we're still talking about it, how should one burn-in a headphone?

I myself don't believe in burn-in, but I do it for the sake of it...and because I don't want others to say I wrote a bad review because of the lack of it. I just hook up my headphones to my MacBook/FiiO E7 and play frequency sweeps, pink noise, individual frequencies, and silence (all in a "random" order).

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #108 of 925
Quote:

I know this is off topic, but while we're still talking about it, how should one burn-in a headphone?

I myself don't believe in burn-in, but I do it for the sake of it...and because I don't want others to say I wrote a bad review because of the lack of it. I just hook up my headphones to my MacBook/FiiO E7 and play frequency sweeps, pink noise, individual frequencies, and silence (all in a "random" order).

I went through the motions with my D600 as I think any changes are subtle at best, but I just plugged my headphones into my Iphone on my charger, set at a moderate listening level, selected shuffle play and ran them overnight for the first few nights in addition to listening during the day.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #109 of 925
If you even believe in burn-in, which I don't. Personally I think it's a waste of time.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #110 of 925
I just search *.mp3 in my Music folder, grab about 500 songs, open them in VLC, turn my system volume to max so the I can hear my headphones sitting on the ground, and then I go to work for 9 hours. It's loud enough to where I wouldn't listen to them that loud ever, but not excruciatingly loud. Never seen any pink noise. Anyone care to explain?

And I think burn-in really does help. The first 10 hours of using the headphones wear in the drivers. It's like stretching out a pair of jeans... they might be a little tight at first but after wearing them for a while they fit just right. I really wasn't impressed with my DT880s for the first few hours, but they got a lot better over 5 hours. They were flat and lifeless right out of the box. After 40 hours they really sparkle now, and the bass has a nice punch to it. Sucks that you feel that way about burn-in.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #111 of 925
Quote:
I just search *.mp3 in my Music folder, grab about 500 songs, open them in VLC, turn my system volume to max so the I can hear my headphones sitting on the ground, and then I go to work for 9 hours. It's loud enough to where I wouldn't listen to them that loud ever, but not excruciatingly loud. Never seen any pink noise. Anyone care to explain?

Pink noise is a random set of frequencies shifting back and forth - a lot like television static, but with sound. Pink noise is usually a lower tone than white noise - from what I remember off the top of my head.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #112 of 925

And I think burn-in really does help. The first 10 hours of using the headphones wear in the drivers. It's like stretching out a pair of jeans... they might be a little tight at first but after wearing them for a while they fit just right. I really wasn't impressed with my DT880s for the first few hours, but they got a lot better over 5 hours. They were flat and lifeless right out of the box. After 40 hours they really sparkle now, and the bass has a nice punch to it. Sucks that you feel that way about burn-in.

The articles from Innerfidelity demonstrate that very little changes occur.
The magnitude of the changes observed are very small. If the features seen are evidence of break-in, the effect is small.

And I still stand by this since my Sennheiser HD238 still sounds the same as it did 2 months ago, and similarly with my [unmodded] Shure SRH940 from when I bought it a year ago.
I believe it's more psychology and your brain getting used to the sound.

e.g. if you don't like bright-sounding headphones, but you listen to one long enough, you might think they're less bright than you originally thought; same thing goes for bassy headphones
or you think your headphones sound "bad" at first and you know you'll let them burn-in, so your brain thinks it will sound better than it did before the burn-in

Pink noise is a random set of frequencies shifting back and forth - a lot like television static, but with sound. Pink noise is usually a lower tone than white noise - from what I remember off the top of my head.

Yeah it's something like that. I think white noise has equal energy for each frequency and pink is equal energy for each octave. Generally it seems that people burn-in their headphones with pink noise as the preferred type of noise.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #113 of 925
Quote:
I really wasn't impressed with my DT880s for the first few hours, but they got a lot better over 5 hours. They were flat and lifeless right out of the box. After 40 hours they really sparkle now, and the bass has a nice punch to it.

I had the same experience with the Beyer DT880 (Manufaktur 600 ohm in my case). Out of the box, they sounded very much like a cardboard box on my head. As with you, they opened up quickly. It is certainly possible that the DT880 requires early burn-in more than some other dynamic headphones.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #114 of 925
I'm sure there's not a huge difference, but I perceive one. Whether or not it's scientifically significant is irrelevant to my case.

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #117 of 925
Stop burn, people needs in review of headphones sound.

Need is a strong word. May I politely recommend a read of this thread, although it applies to PM's, the concept is still quite applicable :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/628426/rant-warning-a-lesson-in-manners-or-how-not-to-get-someone-to-give-you-advice

Please note to the audiences here that it's not my intent to hold such reviews ransom. There are valid reasons of which time will reveal. Most of you have been patient for so long, just hold on a little longer.

Meanwhile, it seems I'm not the only consumer who's got access to the M100. If audiences here live in Tokyo, it seems e-earphone have their personalized ones on display (Shadow with custom plates, mine's on the left). The don't sell them yet, these are demos next to the Go-DAP X's :-

epy6e5ed.jpg

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #120 of 925
Looking forward to your follow up. I just bought a pair of m-80s in Yokohama. I was looking for the white pair but wasn't able to find any. Just like a head-fier looks come after sound. I eventually went with the m80s for the integration with i devices. I listened to the dt1350s and hd 25-1-2 a lot at a few different places here in Japan, I felt that the m-80s sounded close enough to the other 2 cans if i want better sounding cans i'll throw on my hd-600s. I also sampled a pair of LP2 at dynamic audio and liked them coming straight from my ipod. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back