V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback
Jan 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #286 of 324
Quote:
Were you one of those people who was expecting an upgraded M-80? If so, I'm in the same boat as you and is the reason why I'm disappointed with the M-100's.

I am satisfied for the most part for what it is though since I was originally looking into a durable portable headphone because my SRH940 was (now is) dying at the time and its sound wasn't very enjoyable for mobile listening. For that purpose only I really like the M-100's. For home listening I prefer the AKG K 701 or SRH940 even though its fit is "meh" due to the flimsy broken headband.

Yeah, I was blown away by the M-80. After the Creative Aurvana Live!, they were my introduction into GOOD headphones. I was hoping for an upgraded M-80 and I let the hype get to me. I'm going to give the M-100 some more time and yeah, I need an on-the-go can so I hope I can come around but I will definitely remain disappointed.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #287 of 324
Shame that V-moda say this is their first "crowd-sourced" headphones, yet even then they seem to disappoint. I really don't know why they decided to go bass-heavy instead of just a better m-80...

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #288 of 324
Quote:
Shame that V-moda say this is their first "crowd-sourced" headphones, yet even then they seem to disappoint. I really don't know why they decided to go bass-heavy instead of just a better m-80...

Me too. I was thinking "yay, Jude and Tyll and other Head-Fiers get to tune this headphone! It MUST have super-awesome-mind-blowing sound quality then! :))".

Upon opening the M-100:
Yeaaah...............not the kind of sound I was expecting. :/

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #289 of 324
Quote:

It's most likely based on average values of all the data gathered and formed thereafter and it wasn't only enthusiasts or audiophiles included here. 

If I was to do a blind test, say testing 100 people randomly from the street (and now assuming it's done in a non-noisy environment) and gave them an equalizer to play around with until they are satisfied I'd expect the bass quantity to be a lot north of zero, my estimate would be aprox 8-9dB or so maybe, I'd expect some people to tune towards like 15-17dB bass and some people to go for like 2 - 5 dB. The average today I'm pretty sure would fall somewhere around 8dB boost when you included everything from just "average-joe" to the audiophile. If you let only audiophiles tune it without knowing how much bass they are hearing I'd expect more like 3-5dB boost. Tyll for example has mentioned several times he prefers around 4-5dB elevated bass, to most people I'd expect at least 3dB to sound more neutral without knowing what quantity they are listening to than a graph showing 0dB boost.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #290 of 324
@miceblue: just recognized that we are in the same situation. i found heaven in k701 and srh940 also and cannot find a portable that will be up with them. the dt1350 came near by, but was that stupid looking and unhandy, that i returned it.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #292 of 324
I've just gotten my hands on a pair of M-100s and having roadtested a few of my favourite albums, I thought I'd better come on here and post my thoughts.

First things first: I'm not an audiophile. The most expensive headphones I've ever owned were a pair of Beyerdynamic IEMs that cost me £60 about a year ago (which I subsequently broke). I've been making do with some cheap supra-aural cans that I got from HMV for £20 a few years back and was relatively happy with them. 

But I got a big windfall from the Revenue and I'd had my eye on some proper, serious headphones for some time. I listen to a lot of music - I go through two, sometimes three albums a day - and it seemed to be a very sensible investment. I knew I wanted something with a closed back and something relatively portable since I spend a couple of hours commuting every day; I also wanted something that looked quite smart, and something that packed a proper wallop. I just didn't know what sort of wallop I was looking for.

Anyway, in typical non-audiophile fashion, I was initially attracted to the M-100s by their looks. Very striking indeed, and the collapsible hinges meant I focussed my research on them.

Which brings me back to why I felt I needed to write about them - there are little to no reviews of headphones for people that like heavy metal. You get recommendations - Grados, Senns, etc. - but nothing like, "I own a pair of these and they're crap," or "Yes, well worth the cash, they'll crush your fukken skull."

And I'm pleased to say that so far - after about 4 hours with these cans on my head - they're crushing my fukken skull in the best way possible. I don't feel I know enough to talk authoritatively about soundstage and such, but what I can say is that bands like Darkthrone, Mgla, Sargeist, In Solitude and Mitochondrion have been represented exactly how I'd like to hear them. Thunderous bass, razor-sharp guitars and "rapish" drums. 

I've just gotten back from a festival and these headphones to a fantastic job of recreating a "live" sound - there's a lot of power, but also the sort of airiness one associates with live performances.

I can't honestly say whether they're value for money for everyone but I'm thrilled with them. Certainly not too bassy in my opinion, but that might be because of a lot of metal tends to treat the bass fairly miserably in the recording process and the M-100s are predisposed to giving it a gentle nudge. Leads and rhythm guitars are still very much at the forefront of the sound for me, and the bass kicks don't overcrowd the tom or snares. Of course, it all depends on the quality of the recording I guess; again, not something metal tends to rate too highly.

But that's the point, for me. Whether I've been listening to something cavernous and filthy or more clean and powerful, the M-100s have performed excellently.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #293 of 324
Guys,

There is a major issue on comfort that is being discussed on the maid thread . What is your take on the comfort on the M-100 ? Please do share .
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #294 of 324
Quote:
Guys,

There is a major issue on comfort that is being discussed on the maid thread . What is your take on the comfort on the M-100 ? Please do share .
beerchug.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/656815/v-moda-m-100-comfortable-or-not

here is the poll that was being discussed if you are interested :)

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #295 of 324
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/656815/v-moda-m-100-comfortable-or-not

here is the poll that was being discussed if you are interested :)

That I know , I have voted and am with you ! ... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #296 of 324
Can't speak for anyone else (no-one's ever worn mine for more than a few seconds!) but mine fit like a glove. I've had them on since 9am this morning, and it's now 5pm - pretty much non-stop. They're not tight or uncomfortable, although I do occasionally have to move them slightly just to let the skin around my ears get some air (but hey, that's going to be an issue with any headphone of this type).

They're also fine for walking around and travelling with, which I do quite a lot of. Again, not too heavy and not too tight. 

I haven't tried to wear them while undertaking any exercise, but I'm not sure I'd want to risk dropping and potentially damaging them while out running or at the gym!

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #297 of 324
When I had mine, I had to constantly adjust the cups because one ear always feel off. I tried to fit my ears into the cups but then my ears are touching the inner pads. Man, did my ears hurt after an hour. The sound is pretty good but the discomfort is just too much. My hd280 doesn't sound as good but at least it actually goes around the ears and more comfortable. I returned mine last week and possibly revisit these in a few months. For now, I'm spending that money on an IFI iCan for my T1.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #298 of 324
Quote:
Can't speak for anyone else (no-one's ever worn mine for more than a few seconds!) but mine fit like a glove. I've had them on since 9am this morning, and it's now 5pm - pretty much non-stop. They're not tight or uncomfortable, although I do occasionally have to move them slightly just to let the skin around my ears get some air (but hey, that's going to be an issue with any headphone of this type).

They're also fine for walking around and travelling with, which I do quite a lot of. Again, not too heavy and not too tight. 

I haven't tried to wear them while undertaking any exercise, but I'm not sure I'd want to risk dropping and potentially damaging them while out running or at the gym!

They are actually better for exercise than most headphones on the market- the clamp is just right and they are light enough that they don't slip.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #299 of 324
I have been using these bad boys since late January/Feb and for me the fitness is also neither tight or loose. I too have to adjust it ever so often, maybe once an hour. I thought it was because of my glasses 8).

No regrets and also have my OG Crossfade LPs from back in the day. I didn't have the heart to sell them. They are my first V-Moda's lol and they still look and sound great! I use them for movies mostly. And now that I have the M100's, the LPs are now my 4 year olds. LOL.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #300 of 324
I have been using these bad boys since late January/Feb and for me the fitness is also neither tight or loose. I too have to adjust it ever so often, maybe once an hour. I thought it was because of my glasses 8).

No regrets and also have my OG Crossfade LPs from back in the day. I didn't have the heart to sell them. They are my first V-Moda's lol and they still look and sound great! I use them for movies mostly. And now that I have the M100's, the LPs are now my 4 year olds. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back