V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #14,641 of 23,366
Quote:
It's awesome to see the growth.........................but I wish he had answered the XL question. 

I have the engineering specs of the new XL prototypes, I'll send over now.  The last ones blew IMO, they hit the ear more and felt comfortable for those like me but if your ears stick out further they weren't right for you.

CoilPro/BoomPro
CoilPro + BoomPro are about to launch, we have stock at V-MODA LA but we have to prep the press/Amazon and distributors worldwide.  This is why we sometimes do the VTF to order early for Head-Fi as we know you don't want to wait, and we don't either!  But there is a normal "launch cadence" and translations, content uploading that has to happen. 

Centurion Volunteers
We need a German, French, Italian, Spanish translator as well as somebody to help manage content full time.  Job description coming up soon.  You'll get future products to assist...

V-MODA Milano Office
Karl, Joe, myself and the team have never worked so hard to expand sales/customer service worldwide as well as the next two products (very different than M-100).  I heard it was a lot of red tape to open a business in Italy, but it is very complex and time consuming - even buying a couch or desk or hanging file can be a challenge here. Let alone setting up a new logistics hub and customer service team in many languages.  I hope you can understand the complexities and learning process, we even have to learn to adapt to doing business in a new language!  

DJ MAG TOP 5
We were nominated by DJMAG as top DJ headphone, it is amazing that Crossfade M-100 can crossover from consumer to DJ to audiophile in a single product.  Hence the name "Crossfade". So, we made a video featuring all of the V-MODA DJS... Check out the voting and video soon!

New XL cushions in dev, ready this week

May 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #14,642 of 23,366
Quote:
I have the engineering specs of the new XL prototypes, I'll send over now.  The last ones blew IMO, they hit the ear more and felt comfortable for those like me but if your ears stick out further they weren't right for you.

CoilPro/BoomPro
CoilPro + BoomPro are about to launch, we have stock at V-MODA LA but we have to prep the press/Amazon and distributors worldwide.  This is why we sometimes do the VTF to order early for Head-Fi as we know you don't want to wait, and we don't either!  But there is a normal "launch cadence" and translations, content uploading that has to happen. 

Centurion Volunteers
We need a German, French, Italian, Spanish translator as well as somebody to help manage content full time.  Job description coming up soon.  You'll get future products to assist...

V-MODA Milano Office
Karl, Joe, myself and the team have never worked so hard to expand sales/customer service worldwide as well as the next two products (very different than M-100).  I heard it was a lot of red tape to open a business in Italy, but it is very complex and time consuming - even buying a couch or desk or hanging file can be a challenge here. Let alone setting up a new logistics hub and customer service team in many languages.  I hope you can understand the complexities and learning process, we even have to learn to adapt to doing business in a new language!  

DJ MAG TOP 5
We were nominated by DJMAG as top DJ headphone, it is amazing that Crossfade M-100 can crossover from consumer to DJ to audiophile in a single product.  Hence the name "Crossfade". So, we made a video featuring all of the V-MODA DJS... Check out the voting and video soon!

New XL cushions in dev, ready this week

the faster the xl pads come out the faster i can order my v modas again, i dont wanna go the sony mdr 1r road, SO PLEASE HURRY!! DO IT FOR ME VAL DO IT FOR ME!!

May 21, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #14,643 of 23,366
Quote:
Just to see what's what inside there.  I'm a tinkerer and like to play with things. 

Each time it breaks the seal a TINY bit...  But feel free, it is one area that you can experiment like I do and find different results that are fascinating.

HOWEVER - our cushions are meant to be removed once/twice maximum before you buy a new set.  The rigidity decreases and therefore has a little bit more chance of bass/3D inconsistencies than what I designed it for.

But trust me, this is the best material i could find in the world.  In fact, I manned the machine to make it a few times myself and try different thicknesses and durometers for weeks!

-V

May 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #14,644 of 23,366
Quote:
not sure if this has been asked or evaluated before but, has anyone used their M-100s on commercial or military aircraft? If so, how do you find the headset being able to isolate outside noise from engines?

Quote:
Definitely not the best headphone for flights IMHO.

Quote:
They isolate pretty well, but due to those little vent holes on the shields, they do let a bit of sound in. Even on windy days, it seems to make a bit of sound when wind blows into it.

hint, the co-founder and co-owner of V-MODA is an active duty pilot, my brother Dave Kolton.  They aren't FAA or approved for pilots YET, but I have heard Air Force 1/2 is using custom matching M-100s already for passengers and many other private jet services. I haven't seen pics yet though, so I look forward to seeing...

V-MODA truly are military tested with feedback that is more than just the 810G test standards, but with real life military scenerio feedback similar to the audiophile/DJ community for crowdsourcing.

May 21, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #14,645 of 23,366
hint, the co-founder and co-owner of V-MODA is a pilot, my brother Dave Kolton.  They aren't FAA or approved for pilots YET, but I have heard Air Force 1/2 is using custom matching M-100s already for passengers and many other private jet services. I haven't seen pics yet though, so I look forward to seeing...

V-MODA truly are military tested with feedback that is more than just the 810G test standards, but with real life military scenerio feedback similar to the audiophile/DJ community for crowdsourcing.

First off, thank your brother for his service to our country. I do that with each and every service man/woman I see out and about. We need to show our appreciation for their sacrifices.

And thanks for the info on both the removal of the pads and the XL status. I'd be glad to purchase a pair of the XL pads for beta testing if it is possible. I have Crossfades now and am receiving M-100's on Tuesday. It's exciting to see the continued dev work.

May 21, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #14,647 of 23,366
Quote:
Val has said he made prototypes of noise cancelling and Bluetooth headphones, but they weren't up to his sound quality standards. They are locked away in one of his drawers somewhere.

Many drawers and we had built superior NC units.  I believe in analog solutions vs the 3 DAC/processing steps required for ANC that pollutes the "organic" sound.  

We did use case studies:

1) People love ANC with no music for jet noise :: V-MODA Alternative: Use Faders (no batteries needed)
2) ANC with music doesn't sound as good :: V-MODA solution: Use M-100 (jet noise usually cancelled equal or greater due to the better sound/bass notes and soundstage)
3) If you listen to certain older mastered genres at low volumes without caring as much about bass, the "closed in [size=10pt]nauseous[/size] effect", or 3D sound a ANC like a QC15 is better for you perhaps.  If you listen louder, want 3D "semi-open" sound and no batteries, M-100 will actually cancel screaming babies superiorly with my music at the same dB I have found.

We call this effect, BNC or "bass noise cancelling" as the frequencies and "psychoacoustics" a non-ANC vs ANC unit can produce are different, but it is a huge part due to the staging as well. 

Remember this, ANY TIME YOU ADD ANC/DIGITAL processing you are polluting the original signal.  Look how many ANC headphones have 2.4-3.2 reviews on Amazon... And a lot of these consumers aren't listening to modern music.

Quote:

Thanks for the recommendation, I've read some good things about the Mr Speakers Mad Dog modded headphones. I'll look into it. By any chance do you have a pair?

But to stay on subject, I wonder if Val and the folks over at V-moda have considered building a headset specifically for use in aircraft noise environments?

Quote:
I guess that depends on how much you can tolerate. I find them acceptable while others here don't. I have a high tolerance level for most things though, as long as they aren't drugs or alcohol.

Always, we use M-100 + Faders daily.  

Quote:
The m100's should do fine on a long flight right? I don't mind if I hear the planes rumble a little bit but my music should cover up the most part of the engine noise.

Remember also, listening to any headphone > a few hours can damage hearing.  Take a break.  

ALL OF THAT BEING SAID, we are always working on ANC prototypes but I always stick to my motto "if I won't use it myself, I won't release it".  I feel we can do better with pushing the envelope in analog noise isolation and enjoyment via M-100/Faders and future products.  I've built and tried many ANC and BT solutions and never liked them.  Even at CanJam ___  ___  from ___ told me he agreed about ANC because of the over "processing".  Guess.

ATTENTION TO MINIMALISM = MAXIMAL ENJOYMENT and less failure points, processes and DAC conversions. 

-V

May 22, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #14,649 of 23,366
Thanks for the update Val. I look forward to seeing the Coil Pro cable in-action and seeing how the XL pads feel for long listening sessions.

[Xbox] One thing though:
This "BNC" you speak of, is it true that low frequencies cancel the outside noise? Active noise cancelling works with a feedback system, using microphones to monitor external noise and a signal processing circuit to tell the speaker to produce a deconstructive wave interference, hence active. V-PORT V3 has no signal processing, so outside noise is combined with the music playing passively and if perfect deconstructive interference does indeed happen, you wouldn't hear that sound, if I understand noise cancelling correctly. Are you suggesting that one can build an open-back headphone with a huge bass response and use it as a "BNC" headphone on an airplane?

Quote:
If you listen louder, want 3D "semi-open" sound and no batteries, M-100 will actually cancel screaming babies superiorly with my music at the same dB I have found.

^ same dB as what?

Quote:
1) People love ANC with no music for jet noise
Remember also, listening to any headphone > a few hours can damage hearing.  Take a break.

People who use headphones for passive noise isolation with no music, such as myself, still have the headphones on their head though, and comfort still plays a role in that.

May 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #14,650 of 23,366
Welcome back, Val.  Glad to hear you've been perfecting the XLs.

Quote:
HOWEVER - our cushions are meant to be removed once/twice maximum before you buy a new set.  The rigidity decreases and therefore has a little bit more chance of bass/3D inconsistencies than what I designed it for.

You're saying that the rigidity of the older set of pads decreases, correct?  You're not saying that any other inconsistencies are introduced on the level of the fixed hardware, or that changing pads frequently harms the M-100s in any way.

Just being clear, since a fair number of Head-fi members will decide to experiment with their headphones and shoulder the reasonable loss, but a silent cluster might remain unclear as to your meaning (since Head-fi is international and English comprehension varies).

May 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #14,651 of 23,366
CoilPro/BoomPro

Thank you so much for this update! I'll be buying both :)

May 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #14,652 of 23,366
Centurion Volunteers

I am just a user but you may want to check out gengo.com as a very reasonably priced and fast translation service that has an API so you can send stuff for translation programmatically (i.e. website content, etc.)

May 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #14,655 of 23,366
Quote:
So looking forward to the xl pads. Every time I put them on I wish for a couple mm more depth. 

Me too, but I must admit I'm concerned about the added diameter that will go along with it. Aside from being just a hair too shallow, the current pads surround my ears and fit my head perfectly -- Anything wider runs the risk of introducing unwanted gaps in the seal or positioning issues (not to mention it might look a little weird with the pads protruding beyond the perimeter of earcup). Oh well. First World Problems.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back