V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 15, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #12,871 of 23,366
Quote:
Sorry, but there was no bashing of the HD-25, just some fair comparisons with the M-100. Strengths were also pointed out where the M-100 fails. And I don't disagree with you either.

We were praising the HD-25 for being a great isolator, which is partly the reason its a leading DJ headphone. And the swivel which would make the M-100 a little more DJ friendly.

Omg... the idea of a M100 w/ swively deep cushy earcups/pads legit gives me goosebumps. that would be soooo beautiful hahah. last pair of DJ headphones I will ever buy.

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #12,873 of 23,366
I've just got my M-100s today delivered to work, had a chance to test out and must say I was chuffed stiff with my purchase, until I got home and plugged them into my ASUS Xonar D2X that is! There's no bass or low-mids whatsoever, in fact it sounds like I'm listening to it over Skype.

I came to this thread via incredulous Googling as I struggled to believe that a $150 sound card that requires its own floppy drive style power connector *** is unable to drive these fairly modest headphones! My onboard Realtek HD Audio drives them just fine, as do my HTC One XL, my Nexus 7 and my six year old iPod classic. My tiny SanDisk Clip Zip even makes a fairly decent stab of it.

The weird thing is if I plug the jack not quite all the way in [just before the final notch] there's a very narrow window where it sounds, as far as I can tell, perfect - nice fat bass, and to my noob ears at least, correct. Is it possible that there's an incompatibility between the jacks on the sound card and the M-100 cable? I've tried the orange one with the phone remote and that's also bad, but seems slightly better than the black cable when inserted all the way. The other strange thing is that when using the splitter cable and plugging it all the way in, my Shure SE215s plugged into the M-100 runoff jack sound fine.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I was thinking if it's just a cable/jack incompatibility I would be able to get a standard 3.5mm extension cable to plug in between the Xonar and the M-100 cable? Is this a fair assumption? Is there any benefit in getting a more expensive cable over a bog standard ~$5 / 50cm job?

Thanks!

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #12,875 of 23,366
Quote:
I've just got my M-100s today delivered to work, had a chance to test out and must say I was chuffed stiff with my purchase, until I got home and plugged them into my ASUS Xonar D2X that is! There's no bass or low-mids whatsoever, in fact it sounds like I'm listening to it over Skype.

I came to this thread via incredulous Googling as I struggled to believe that a $150 sound card that requires its own floppy drive style power connector *** is unable to drive these fairly modest headphones! My onboard Realtek HD Audio drives them just fine, as do my HTC One XL, my Nexus 7 and my six year old iPod classic. My tiny SanDisk Clip Zip even makes a fairly decent stab of it.

The weird thing is if I plug the jack not quite all the way in [just before the final notch] there's a very narrow window where it sounds, as far as I can tell, perfect - nice fat bass, and to my noob ears at least, correct. Is it possible that there's an incompatibility between the jacks on the sound card and the M-100 cable? I've tried the orange one with the phone remote and that's also bad, but seems slightly better than the black cable when inserted all the way. The other strange thing is that when using the splitter cable and plugging it all the way in, my Shure SE215s plugged into the M-100 runoff jack sound fine.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I was thinking if it's just a cable/jack incompatibility I would be able to get a standard 3.5mm extension cable to plug in between the Xonar and the M-100 cable? Is this a fair assumption? Is there any benefit in getting a more expensive cable over a bog standard ~$5 / 50cm job?

Thanks!

I would try a standard 3.5mm cable, or or, try rotating the cable and fitting it in the opposite way if that is possible.

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #12,876 of 23,366

Thanks!

Pardon the formatting if it doesn't show up properly...mobile BBC editing sucks In my opinion.

I have the same issue with the O2 amp. Plug the M-100's TTRS jack all the way and get weird mono sound with little bass. Pull the jack out slightly and get perfectly fine audio. Pull it out too far and only one channel of audio plays.

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #12,877 of 23,366
Quote:

Thanks!

IIRC someone else had this same issue with the Xonar card.  I don't think he ever found a solution.  Try the cable without the button though and let us know if that works.  

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #12,878 of 23,366
Thanks for the feedback folks. Yep, the orange cable with remote suffers the same problem when fully inserted, although it's marginally better. I've fiddled with various rotations, but with the jack fully inserted I can't get full sound with either cable.

I think there's something a bit weird going on with the M-100 cables, though. I tried plugging them into my phone with the black cable and my phone doesn't detect a headset at all - it plays out of the speaker - while my Nexus 7 only produces sound out of one headphone. The orange cable is fine on both.

I'll see if I can find a normal 3.5mm cable and try that. Will report back.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #12,879 of 23,366
Quote:
Omg... the idea of a M100 w/ swively deep cushy earcups/pads legit gives me goosebumps. that would be soooo beautiful hahah. last pair of DJ headphones I will ever buy.

Quote:
fuzzyash said:
 y 

vmoda revolvers are supposed to have revolving cups
not sure about the clickfold though

Its funny, I've made ANC, swivel and bluetooth headphones for many years. I used them every day and then I put them in drawers. I have never sold them.  My mantra is "I won't sell a product until I'd use it myself".  The over processing and ADC to DAC to processing messes up the sound badly.  

SWIVEL - is it dead like the flip phone?
I really thought swivels were the solution ~10 years ago when I developed Revolver, but then all the DJs said "Crossfade LP is the perfect swivel, the headband is the swivel". And therefore it doesn't break, is sleeker and is lighter.

I think the swivel for DJS was like flip-phones.  Everyone was doing it, so everyone thought it was essential.  But then, the brands learned the swivel adds a huge defect failure point, similarly cell phones produced the current smartphones with round corners and rectangle screens with less buttons and swivels. WHY?  Defects.

Remember the high defect rates of blackberry trackballs?  EVERY FEATURE THAT IS PHYSICAL CAN CAUSE HUGE DEFECTS.  Less is more. It took forever for me to approve M-100's hinge and we designed it ourselves.  I didn't trust any other hinge in the world, I had to do it on my own.

The most popular DJ headphones today DON'T swivel, I think people are finally starting to realize the negative aspects and alternative ways to monitor.

HAVING SAID THAT
Revolver will probably swivel... will it make it less durable for DJs vs Crossfade LP2, YES.  Will it still be durable, YES.  That is why I was thinking of marketing the folding/revolving units to audiohpiles as they take care of the gear better.

Will Revolver EVER come out?  I don't know... It is my "holy grail" headphone and maybe it just makes me develop the others with itt's technology.  Like a Formula 1  race car for a car co.

Every second of the day I think about durability and QC, I have an obligation to make gear that performs on stage and I take it very seriously.

Cheers-

-v

LONG LIVE ANALOG:

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #12,880 of 23,366
I for one do like the headbands flex and the fact I can shoulder it to my ear... But when I'm out mobile the lack of swivel kinda limits how much I can move my head/neck.

I do know how much effort was put into the CliqHinge, and it is great. I know how much you care about QC, so when (if) Revolver comes out, I have full confidence that the swivel mechanism will be top notch quality, just like the CliqHinge.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #12,881 of 23,366
Val,

Don't worry about Revolver for now and just give us those XL pads for the M-100.

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #12,883 of 23,366
Val, speaking of swivel, and idea just hit me: will it be possible to develop the band into a metal spine to make the band as the swivel just like you have said?  I know anything is possible given a cost, but this may be a cool way to reinvent the "wheel" in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back