V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 14, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #12,856 of 23,366
Quote:
I dont know that a cable lock would save your HPs either if someone snatched them as abuptly as that.

I'm keen to learn more or see a cheeky photo of the coilpro however. Most of my HP listening is at a fixed console so I'm a big fan of coiled cords.

True.
For me though, I use the longer SharePlay cable, so I wrap the cable around my hand in my pocket and my hand firmly around my rig (I use the volume buttons on the iPhone for FF/rewind/play/pause...Jailbreaking for the win!). If someone were to grab the headphones off my head (assuming the cables lock), they would pull on my hand and rig too.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #12,857 of 23,366
Quote:
Oh and while I still love these HPs I noticed something last weekend that makes me think they're not great as a DJ HP. I played at a party where the rig was really loud where the DJ was setup and found that their open'ish design didn't give me enough isolation in my cue ear to drown out the room mix. I ended having to crank the cue volume to ear splitting levels in order to mix. It was enough for me to mourn for my old (stolen) HD-25s.

Anyone else notice this?

Wouldn't that be the case for the LP/LP2 as well? If so, it seems that a lot of DJ's use those headphones. But yes I would agree with you that that design seems like it wouldn't work in those kinds of environments. The Amperior has good noise isolation, but I found them to be too sibilant; I can't really imagine a DJ using them at high volume levels if they were painful to my ears at normal listening levels. :/

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #12,858 of 23,366
I haven't tried the LPs so I'm not sure what their isolation is like.

Weren't vents on the cups one of the M-100's design innovations that improved their sound sig (airflow like an open HP on a closed design)?? I can't remember but MiceBlue I'm sure you will. Perhaps the airflow improves sound at the expense of isolation.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #12,859 of 23,366
Quote:
I haven't tried the LPs so I'm not sure what their isolation is like.

Weren't vents on the cups one of the M-100's design innovations that improved their sound sig (airflow like an open HP on a closed design)?? I can't remember but MiceBlue I'm sure you will. Perhaps the airflow improves sound at the expense of isolation.

That's what the V-PORTS are marketed for doing, I'm not completely sure what it does. People have done mods with the LP's V-PORTS by adding felt under them, but I don't remember how it affected the sound (less soundstage, less bass, more forward mids?)

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #12,860 of 23,366
Quote:

Know what? That's never occurred to me, how badly I could use the CoilPro cable. I wonder if it'll be coiled kevlar? And the locking mechanism would be nice, for the same reasons. Rocking out to dnb on stage get intense. 

I'll be rocking my M-100s at the deck next week actually. I use the black SharePlay cable for gigs at the moment - At home it's most useful for when my buddy go back to back, but otherwise it's too long for general use. CoilPro would be a nice replacement.

Yep. I might try to DIY something onto the hp end of the cable to lock it in. I have NO idea what yet though. 

I'll just use my MacGuyver Engineer's degree (imaginary) to fandangle something up... I'm thinking a twist tie might work, or rubber cement a doohickey onto it. 

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the LP/2 and M-80 also have removable (on one side only) cables, which don't have a V-Cork, right? So the V-Moda cables would have to fit all models; which is likely why the M-100's don't have a lockable cable, and probably why they CoilPro might not have it either. 
I don't know what the female end of the LP.2 and M-80 looks like, but I'm betting its a little different from the M-100 considering the M-100s were designed to have a V-Cork locked in. 

Re-guarding the CoilPro, its for the m-100 only (source http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-100/) scroll down to the comparison chart!, thats is why im wondering if it's going to have the lock thingy. but im sure u can just glue a litto tab onto the end before headphone jack. but i found that when u twist the cord, u have to make sure its in the right way or i find that the cord can coil up a bit, but then again u can just re adjust that on the other end.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #12,861 of 23,366
Quote:
Oh and while I still love these HPs I noticed something last weekend that makes me think they're not great as a DJ HP. I played at a party where the rig was really loud where the DJ was setup and found that their open'ish design didn't give me enough isolation in my cue ear to drown out the room mix. I ended having to crank the cue volume to ear splitting levels in order to mix. It was enough for me to mourn for my old (stolen) HD-25s.

Anyone else notice this?

Well I can't say I agree entirely cuz I think they isolate decently well, and I don't think it's the V-Ports. There's already felt piece on the other side of the shields, so that's dampening as is. I found there was a volume around 3 o'clock on my mixer that was perfect for mixing. And yeah, it's loud, but I could have gone to almost 6, which is hair splitting. At home I only ever go up to 12, and I have Near field monitors blaring in my face when mixing. I think you'll just have to experiment and find that sweet spot. As miceblue said, lots of big name DJs are using these (whether or not their actually mixing live is a question for an entirely different debate *cough Steve Aoki not having any cords in his mixer and stage diving while 'mixing' cough* but I actually really enjoy them for mixing.

I just did an outside leak test, putting the M-100s shield from V-Ports to the top shield screw, directly on my ear; yeah, the V-Ports do leak quite a bit, but I still find them more than decent for isolation. I got a gig on Tuesday so I'll come back to pipe in then. I've only ever used them once on stage. 

Quote:
Re-guarding the CoilPro, its for the m-100 only (source http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-100/) scroll down to the comparison chart!, thats is why im wondering if it's going to have the lock thingy. but im sure u can just glue a litto tab onto the end before headphone jack. but i found that when u twist the cord, u have to make sure its in the right way or i find that the cord can coil up a bit, but then again u can just re adjust that on the other end.

Dope! That's news to me! So now it's just a question if it'll lock where the V-Cork locks also - I hope so :)

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #12,862 of 23,366
For most situations/venues I hadn't noticed an issue with their isolation. I've been using them at a weekly night at a bar where there is'nt even a monitor and mixing in my headphones. But the club I played for this party had a ridiculous set up with house speakers hanging off the roof immediatly behind the DJ setup + speakers on the otherside of the room pointing at the DJ. It was very very loud.

So yes it's more a statement about bad club design then any failing of the M-100. The isolation on HD-25 is superb however for monitoring, they're like earmuffs, and I did'nt fully grasp until this party how important isolation is for loud venues. Better isolation means you don't need to crank up your HPs cue mix as much to drown out the house mix.

On bad club design - as a hobby DJ I've rarely played at clubs that I thought had well setup and maintained DJ booths or where I had much of any control of the presence of monitors. The quality and positioning of house speakers is often a problem. Hell for me it's worse now then it's ever been as I play vinyl and the rise of the digital DJ has meant many venues have stopped servicing their turntables. No doubt the big name DJs (Val included) play at cashed up and better designed/equipped clubs. Superstar DJ I ain't!

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #12,863 of 23,366
Oh how many times I've watched a DJ turn the monitor towards the back of the stage after a drop cuz it's blaring int heir face too loud.

Three, I think.....

But yeah, I get what you mean, not a lot of venues have 'professional' DJ booths, and even less have their own equipment, let alone service what equipment they own lol.

Either way, I do agree that the HD-25 has amazing isolation, I tried my friends Adidas version recently and found them really congested and rather grating in the high end, so I'd only ever use them for DJing if I were to own them (which I don't plan on it), where the M-100s have a Swiss Knife utilitarian vibe going on. the isolation for DJing might be an issue for some, but I haven't had an issue with it yet. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #12,865 of 23,366
And swivel cups too, but that's a whole other thing.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #12,866 of 23,366
I personally think that bashing the HD-25 series is pretty useless. The HD-25 has over 2 decades of history as one of the leading ENG and DJ headphones. It's strengths and weaknesses are well known. It's a very well regarded headphone by any stretch of the definition. 

If you want something more neutral, you'd go for the Sennheiser.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #12,868 of 23,366
So I have been loving my m100s for on the go. Recently I wanted a new shield kit to change my colors around a bit, and saw they no longer have all their colors that they had when I first ordered mine. Does Val switch the colors available time to time?

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #12,870 of 23,366
I personally think that bashing the HD-25 series is pretty useless. The HD-25 has over 2 decades of history as one of the leading ENG and DJ headphones. It's strengths and weaknesses are well known. It's a very well regarded headphone by any stretch of the definition. 

If you want something more neutral, you'd go for the Sennheiser.

:/

Sorry, but there was no bashing of the HD-25, just some fair comparisons with the M-100. Strengths were also pointed out where the M-100 fails. And I don't disagree with you either.

We were praising the HD-25 for being a great isolator, which is partly the reason its a leading DJ headphone. And the swivel which would make the M-100 a little more DJ friendly.

While the HD-25 is a great headphone, I still think the highs are grating and the soundstage is claustrophobic, especially in comparison with M-100. But when it comes to its own mobility and isolation, the HD-25 trumps most other headphones. That's entirely fair to say, and I'm sorry if I offended, but that's how it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back