V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #12,406 of 23,366
I can't wait for the DD pads either! My ears hurt like hell after 30+ minutes of listening which is really unfortunate 'cause other than the comfort issue M-100 is my favorite portable. I don't even need the pads to be bigger, just deeper. When they compress after 10 minutes or so of being on your head the outermost parts of your ears will start to touch the drivers.

This is an issue for not only me, but all 4 of my friends who i let borrow my m-100.

glad to hear you're working on a solution Val, hopefully it doesn't affect the SQ

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #12,407 of 23,366
I think I may have the oldest standard consumer/non-celeb/non-commercial sample of the M-100 & it took probably 4-6 weeks of regular use before I had a comfortable fit. Now I probably can wear my M-100 for about 4 hrs straight without discomfort. At most it may feel warm but during this winter the warmth is actually quite welcoming.

My M-100 has gone through quite a bit of hell too in my 4.75 months of ownership. The M-100 is still my only outdoor headphone.

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #12,408 of 23,366
Quote:
I think I may have the oldest standard consumer/non-celeb/non-commercial sample of the M-100 & it took probably 4-6 weeks of regular use before I had a comfortable fit. Now I probably can wear my M-100 for about 4 hrs straight without discomfort. At most it may feel warm but during this winter the warmth is actually quite welcoming.

My M-100 has gone through quite a bit of hell too in my 4.75 months of ownership. The M-100 is still my only outdoor headphone.

I can't wait to see it wear over time.   I saw Avicii's that he wore on tour nightly for like 5 months and it was very cool looking, like a well worn in baseball cap or boots.  He auctioned it off I believe, I should have bought it for the future headphone museum as it was the first M-100 we opened at Radio City music hall.  

It went for only $400, I don't think enough people knew about it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avicii-Signed-V-Moda-M100-Headphones-from-2012-World-Tour-plus-Signed-Shirt-/271129264544?

PS - it's worth somebody contacting the buyer to try to buy them back! 

-v

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #12,409 of 23,366
yea, they are definitely more comfortable now than when i first got them, but the pad depth will always be an issue until new ones are released. i listen to m-100 for 30 min sessions at a time and then theres no problem whatsoever. past 30 min, forget about it

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #12,410 of 23,366
Can anyone recommend an iem to complement the M-100? Considering the GR07 Bass Edition

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #12,411 of 23,366
My ears touch the driver housing even when the pads are not compressed, immediately when I put them on.

Yeah...the really need some more depth. I have never encountered this with other headphones.

Good luck working on the DD pads...looking forward to them.

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #12,413 of 23,366
Quote:

4 hours straight? :xf_eek:
At most I can wear them for 3 hours while sitting down doing nothing but homework. After an hour-long bus ride my ears get pretty uncomfortable.

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #12,414 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Can anyone recommend an iem to complement the M-100? Considering the GR07 Bass Edition

i thought you had the fxz200?

I do, and I love them, but they're just 'too much' for my intents and purposes. I use IEMs primarily at work, and the FXZ200s are a weighty, large IEM; not discrete enough for my job. Also, they're rather expensive for such infrequent use, which kinda bums me out.

Quote:
Quote:

At most I can wear them for 3 hours while sitting down doing nothing but homework. After an hour-long bus ride my ears get pretty uncomfortable.

I've noticed that it takes me quite a while to get uncomfortable with them (with my mod in). The times I notice this is when I'm out doing errands or working my promo job, I'm wearing them from the time I leave home til the time I get home, and usually onyl take them off when I got to get a coffee or call someone briefly. These are 4-5 hour streches, and they do start to irritate after the first 3-4 hours, but it starts with the headband and then my ears feel rather compressed and hot, which is different from when they feel cold, which brings me to my next point....

AnakChan, you say they do fine for you to keep your ears warm in winter? I've noticed it only works up to a certain point for me. If it's any colder than -10C, with any amount of wind, the earmuff effect doesn't work so much and my ears get numb from the cold not discomfort. Keep in mind I go out in the bitter cold of Canadian winter nights to promote for hours on end, so that's a factor to keep in mind.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #12,415 of 23,366
Quote:
I don't even need the pads to be bigger, just deeper.

Quote:
...the pad depth will always be an issue until new ones are released.

Agreed! Depth is the real issue for me, especially once the memory foam starts to compress. I have absolutely no issues with the circumference, but it looks like Val's trying to kill two birds with one stone here.

The shame about the DD pads (assuming V-MODA manages to come up with something that maintains the M-100's sound quality) is that they will almost certainly eliminate the possibility of using the provided case, which I do all the time.
frown.gif
If there's a way to have thicker pads with the same footprint as the originals that still allows for the use of the case, I'm casting my vote for that option.
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #12,416 of 23,366
I find that with the mod, my M-100 is very comfortable. Once I get situated they just rest around my ears, but after an hour or so the top of my head gets fatigued and I have to take them off for 14-30 seconds then I am right back to it. I listen to my M-100 about 1-3 hours a day. 
Quote:

I've noticed that it takes me quite a while to get uncomfortable with them (with my mod in). The times I notice this is when I'm out doing errands or working my promo job, I'm wearing them from the time I leave home til the time I get home, and usually onyl take them off when I got to get a coffee or call someone briefly. These are 4-5 hour streches, and they do start to irritate after the first 3-4 hours, but it starts with the headband and then my ears feel rather compressed and hot, which is different from when they feel cold, which brings me to my next point....

AnakChan, you say they do fine for you to keep your ears warm in winter? I've noticed it only works up to a certain point for me. If it's any colder than -10C, with any amount of wind, the earmuff effect doesn't work so much and my ears get numb from the cold not discomfort. Keep in mind I go out in the bitter cold of Canadian winter nights to promote for hours on end, so that's a factor to keep in mind.

Just out of curiosity what exactly do you promote? 

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #12,417 of 23,366
Drum and Bass parties in Toronto. If you check the edm exchange forum, I've actually posted a few flyers of current events and past festivals I promote for.

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #12,418 of 23,366
I actually got my M-100 a few days ago. I have been taking up every moment I could listening to them.

They are simply incredible. All my music sounds amazing with these, I am so glad to get my hands on these!

The only thing that bothered me was the aspect that I never got the free VIP faders as part of the V-Day promotion with the M-100's. I thought maybe they were going to send it in a separate package but I guess that is not the case. I do not hold it against Val or the company but I was a little bummed out regardless.

Other than that I have been more than busy lately. I hope to get some nice pictures and a more accurate post soon about them soon!

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #12,419 of 23,366
Quote:

Remember everybody, TIME AND LOUDNESS is what = hearing loss.  Be careful!   Especially if the headphones are or mastering is bright.  If M-100 or ANY headphone isn't comfortable past 1 or 2 hours, it is also a SIGN you need to take a 15-30 minute hearing break to keep your hearing health.  

Ain't no anecdote for deafness, you want to be an audiophile for life as audio is something that you can really enjoy in your "golden ears" (pun intended).  Also beware that during workouts, your blood goes to your muscles so your hearing may not be as good and you may be listening too loud and not know it.

PS - I sound like a mom and this IS a shameless plug, but "don't forget your Faders" when going to loud events, concert and festival season is coming up.  Amazon has a sale on Faders VIP for $14.99, you can't go wrong if you didn't get them with an M-100 promo.  

Plus with the Faders + M-100 you can have a passive noise cancelling for flights, the little strap inside the M-100 case is meant for Faders VIP case (maybe someone can photograph).  And the other strap next to the 1/4" adapter holds a USB memory stick. 

#PRACTICESAFESETS #PREVENThearingAIDS

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #12,420 of 23,366
Invaluable information.
Val Kolton Valiantly fighting to keep us loving what we love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back