V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #11,642 of 23,366
Quote:
Hi guys what are you using to drive m100 portable? I just got mine and they sound SO EXCELLENT on mine current pc (Asus zenbook ux31e) but not much good on mine mp3 cowon iAUDIO10. Any advice?

I don't know your budget, but I use Vamp and the combo is stellar. Verza is coming out shortly and I expect it to be in the same price range (around $600).  In the more reasonable $$$ range, I am reading good things about the FiiO E12 that comes out soon.  It should retail for $120.  I previously used the E11 which I thought was very good (and is very good for the price) but I can't go back after listening with Vamp.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #11,643 of 23,366
Listened to Elbow- Build a rocket boys last night. 
Stand out track for me was The Birds. Sounds excellent on the M-100s =D
600 dollars really?!! They couldn't have changed it that much over the original venture craft models... Wow. 
The E12 may stand out though. Who knows. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #11,644 of 23,366
Quote:
Just tried Deadmau5's  Aural Psynapse on my 2011 MBA and at 2/3 to 3/4 volume it's got quite a kick! Really don't want to go much higher than that for an extended period.  To answer your question, you will get the volume plus better sound with any of these USB dac/amps:  
Low $ to Hi - FiiO E07, FiiO E17, AudioEngine D1, Arcam rPAC, AudioQuest DragonFly. If you're looking for portability only, I'd do the DragonFly with the DragonTail (IMO assuming that you have better luck that I'm having with my Macs) or the FiiO E07.

MV, I would definitely call AQ support. I spent several hours last week on the MBPro with the DF and my ACS T1's...Gorgeous! I am running Amarra as well. It works with just iTunes, but Amarra is so much better.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #11,645 of 23,366
Quote:
600 dollars really?!! They couldn't have changed it that much over the original venture craft models... Wow. 

I really badly want to know what the difference is between Go-Dap X and Verza. They're identical products on the outside, aside from some customs labelling by V-MODA, and the (currently) $200 price jump. And as far as I know, on the inside it seems to me that the Go DAP X has more options as you can choose between two different models with different DACs....

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #11,647 of 23,366
How does acoustic music sound on these? I listen to a lot of Dave Matthews and Tim Renyolds, for example.

I love bass, but I need that clarity on geeeeetars. Works just fine?

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #11,648 of 23,366
do you guys use them on ear or around ear? with my ears it is much more comfortable to wear them on ear. seems that this also widens soundstage and calm the highs a bit.

Weird... how? I can't imagine that. I just tried and have NO idea how that's even possible.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #11,649 of 23,366
i keep the cups all the way inside the headband. so the bottom of the cup sit right on my earlobe. the back sits on my outer ear then.and the front of the cub right before my ear or lets say on the part between ear and cheek.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #11,650 of 23,366
I really badly want to know what the difference is between Go-Dap X and Verza. They're identical products on the outside, aside from some customs labelling by V-MODA, and the (currently) $200 price jump. And as far as I know, on the inside it seems to me that the Go DAP X has more options as you can choose between two different models with different DACs....

Actually the Go-DAP X uses the same DAC. What I think you mean is different OpAmps.

The Verza actually though really starts to drift away from the Go-DAP X & is a separate product in its own right. Even externally its slightly somewhat different.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #11,651 of 23,366
Quote:
do you guys use them on ear or around ear? with my ears it is much more comfortable to wear them on ear. seems that this also widens soundstage and calm the highs a bit.

I haven't tried that yet, but with the LP/LP2 pads installed, my ears are almost on-ear.

Quote:
Hi guys what are you using to drive m100 portable? I just got mine and they sound SO EXCELLENT on mine current pc (Asus zenbook ux31e) but not much good on mine mp3 cowon iAUDIO10. Any advice?

I just used a Sansa Clip Zip...when it still had the microSD card. At the moment I just have it going from the iPhone 4S and it sounds just fine while mobile listening.
If you're looking for an inexpensive external soundcard, the FiiO E7, E07k (just a slightly modified E7), or E17 (the full-on upgraded E7) would be good choices in the current market.
For an inexpensive external amplifier, I believe the FiiO E11 is a good choice based on the feedback in this thread. The FiiO E12 is within launching time, so it might be worth waiting for that. Likewise the Digizoid ZO2 is a nice fun portable amp if you want to increase the sub-bass and lower-bass response.

Quote:

Yeah $600, or even $500 is too much for me. :frowning2:

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #11,652 of 23,366
Quote:
i keep the cups all the way inside the headband. so the bottom of the cup sit right on my earlobe. the back sits on my outer ear then.and the front of the cub right before my ear or lets say on the part between ear and cheek.

Haha, I have to do that to listen to them, as I have small ears. They are still over ear, with it on the minimum position

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #11,653 of 23,366
I contacted AQ support and they were ready to RMA it.  Funny thing is that it worked on my HP Netbook perfectly.  I did a reinstall of OSX 10.8.2 in place, hooked up the DragonFly and it works again. Definitely a software problem on my MBA.  Now I'm enjoying the M100 through the DF again.  Still getting used to the sound signature but I'm liking it.  The M100 really brings back life to classic 80s & 90s music and am liking it with classic rock. I find the bass overpowering with stuff like Deadmou5 and that's when I pull out my HD700s. I'm going to stick with Audirvana+ for now.
Quote:
MV, I would definitely call AQ support. I spent several hours last week on the MBPro with the DF and my ACS T1's...Gorgeous! I am running Amarra as well. It works with just iTunes, but Amarra is so much better.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #11,654 of 23,366
Quote:
I contacted AQ support and they were ready to RMA it.  Funny thing is that it worked on my HP Netbook perfectly.  I did a reinstall of OSX 10.8.2 in place, hooked up the DragonFly and it works again. Definitely a software problem on my MBA.  Now I'm enjoying the M100 through the DF again.  Still getting used to the sound signature but I'm liking it.  The M100 really brings back life to classic 80s & 90s music and am liking it with classic rock. I find the bass overpowering with stuff like Deadmou5 and that's when I pull out my HD700s. I'm going to stick with Audirvana+ for now.

Really? Deadmau5 sounds perfect! I find myself lowering the bass EQ by a factor of -1- -2db though, which helps balance A LOT surprisingly. Plus of course, the paper towels I have in the pads.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #11,655 of 23,366
MickeyVee,

Glad you got it working. It sounded like a Mac software problem. I am running 10.8.2 also and it has always worked as it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back