V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 4, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #11,236 of 23,366
Quote:
Anyone know if there is any place to try the m100s before buying them?

Oddly enough the first place we'll have M-100s on display will be with a fashion retailer worldwide.  Stay tuned, it is launching soon...

It has been hard to keep up with demand of M-100 because we try not to build too many at a time as we monitor quality so closely, we know OUR consumers are very very attentive to details.  

Sorry I haven't had much time to be on the forums lately, we hired Karl Detken as VP who worked for Pioneer for 18 years in prod dev/marekting. We've been prepping for CES and we're working hard on distribution worldwide.

If anybody is in Vegas for CES I am trying to schedule a meet/greet at the V-MODA private meeting area.  I can preview a special product to go with M-100...

-V

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #11,237 of 23,366
Quote:

My thoughts exactly. I'm wondering if
Stock pads + pt mod = M-100's award winning sig (For those with bigger ears)?
XL pad - pt mod = M-100's award winning sig?
XL pad + pt mod = Stock pad + pt mod sig?
XL pad + regular ears = not the sound Val wanted?

stock pad + large percentile ears= what we aimed for in sound perception
XL pad + large percentile ears  <>sound for greatest % of people... too boomy and bass bleeds w mids for most but for others will be same as #1
XL pad + smaller percentile ears (xl but this also considers depth not just diameter) = same sound as stock + large percentile

THE FIT IS THE SOUND... it is like the room for speakers, we cannot make cushions that fit 100% of population universally to have the sound we aim for, but we try to hit a vast majority and I believe we have done a good job based on overall reviews through the years.  Remember, mids are shaped by your concha and angle.  like a bat...

cushions are replaceable so we'll continue to push the R&D once VAMP VERZA is out in a few days.

EDIT - I can probably look at your ears and tell you how you will perceive the sound if you tell me your genre, volume level and source!

#greatestsoundforgreatestamountofpeople

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #11,238 of 23,366
Wow, a prompt response and from the CEO himself! That's some top-notch customer service. If all else fails, I can buy from amazon and send it back if need be. 

I appreciate the attention to detail, and I'm looking forward to eventually getting my pair of m-100s! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #11,239 of 23,366
Quote:

Regardless of your background or experience, please be respectful towards other members on the forum. Rather than attack them, if you disagree with a point someone has made, discuss that, politely.  Now having been here a few years, I have encountered some very well thought out comments and reviews from members who have little or no background with audio equipment or music. Likewise, I think positive contributions from people with backgrounds in both (and music production) should be welcomed as they give us different perspectives from which to look at things, so I hope you'll contribute some positive comments in the future. 
smile.gif

Unfortunately, in some respects, a lot of music people listen to these days is not made with any intent to be reproduced in a way that gives the feeling of a live event (unless you count being blared out excessively loud at a concert with plenty of distortion). One of the great things about V-MODA headphone is, despite Val's background as a club DJ and his focus on reproducing the sound inside a club with the LP series, he does go out of his way to appreciate different genres of music, which has been reflected, somewhat, in the M80s and now the M100s. I listen to a wide variety of music and I certainly appreciate this. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #11,240 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey guys! Anyone know if a Fiio E11 amp would be enough to drive the M100's mids futher? Im trying to hook this onto a iphone 5 for use.

My Vamp brings out the mids much more than my E11.  If your budget allows, Vamp Verza will probably bring the M-100 to another level based on my experience with Vamp.  A lower cost option might be to wait for the E12 coming out in a few months, but that won't work as a DAC through the Iphone 5 as Verza will.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #11,241 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

My thoughts exactly. I'm wondering if
Stock pads + pt mod = M-100's award winning sig (For those with bigger ears)?
XL pad - pt mod = M-100's award winning sig?
XL pad + pt mod = Stock pad + pt mod sig?
XL pad + regular ears = not the sound Val wanted?

stock pad + large percentile ears= what we aimed for in sound perception
XL pad + large percentile ears  <>sound for greatest % of people... too boomy and bass bleeds w mids for most but for others will be same as #1
XL pad + smaller percentile ears (xl but this also considers depth not just diameter) = same sound as stock + large percentile

THE FIT IS THE SOUND... it is like the room for speakers, we cannot make cushions that fit 100% of population universally to have the sound we aim for, but we try to hit a vast majority and I believe we have done a good job based on overall reviews through the years.  Remember, mids are shaped by your concha and angle.  like a bat...

cushions are replaceable so we'll continue to push the R&D once VAMP VERZA is out in a few days.

EDIT - I can probably look at your ears and tell you how you will perceive the sound if you tell me your genre, volume level and source!

#greatestsoundforgreatestamountofpeople

You're like an Ear Wizard lol. I'll PM you a pic of my ear later on, I'm interested in your EAR-nalysis. I think this forum is the only place where that doesn't sound VERY weird. 

That's awesome. I look forward to the XL pads. 

Have fun at CES! 

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #11,242 of 23,366
Hi every one this is my First post ever here , WOOOO HOOOO!
any how,  i've just started to enter into the way of the audiophile. my first step into it was with the Sennhieser PC360's, basicaly only because i liked the features for gaming, im more into gaming then music, i play alot of sc2 in my spare time.

that fact aside, i noticed how different and better my music started to sound, at first I was like WOW What, this sounds weird, then about 3 songs later i could understand what people where singing and i was getting clarity of sounds pitches what ever you call it, and was instantly addicted to the exploration of music.
before the pc360 i would have laughed at any one wanting to spend more then $50 on a set of cans and knew the morons shelling out 300 for a a pair of beats where idiots.
I was more Interested in the 360s for the mute mic option and awesome volume control....

so then i read you need something like an amp to power head phones properly, So i go get an stx asus essense sound card, AND HOLY COW that was a difference,
so now the pursuit has led me to the M-100 and this amazing site called head-fi.

and a shout out to miceblue 425 on youtube, im here because of your review and im gonna buy these because of you and that awesome reviewer over at innerfidelity..

i know this is getting long so ill wrap it up, my brother is an aspiring DJ just getting into the scene he is only a kid 19. so i went and got him the Momentums, and those are ******* awesome.
Which made me want something better then the pc360s, plus they are open so not good for my old lady, because i'm a night owl.
So the m100 really suits my needs i'm just waiting for Val to release the damn mic attachment, Hurry up Vale, i can hardly wait any more LOL.

any ways thanks guys and keep this going.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #11,247 of 23,366
For each of the shipping options, how long would they think if you know?

Well I ordered mine Dec 4th and 2nd cheapest shipping, which the website suggested was 6-10 days (USPS Express I think it was) and I got them on New Year's Eve. Had I have waited for Parcelforce to send me the customs clearance letter and let them deliver I would have got them today (in theory!) I didn't as when hey showed as having arrived at my local depot I went to collect them and pay the customs charges. In all, almost a month.

Given that it was over the Christmas rush, my experience might have been unusually bad but they were in customs clearance for 5 working days. The problem seems to be when they get to the UK end.

My advice, either get a more expensive (UPS) shipping option or order from Amazon.com (US not UK) as they seem to deliver more quickly. UPS will pay the customs charge and get the money from you on delivery rather than delaying delivery until you pay.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #11,248 of 23,366
Right okay, so I walked to work and back with these for the first time, since time/weather hasn't really allowed me to.

SOUND:

The sound whilst outside? Brilliant! These headphones really do have a lot of sound quality output, and as I've said before, they can show a bad mix from a good one.

I know it sounds stupid, but I'm still not sure I like the fact I can't hear anything whilst wearing them, e.g traffic, but that is the whole point with headphones like this; To block external sound, and I will get used to that.

I agree that the sound is tonnes better for walking out and about. The bass is spot on, and the mids don't sound at all laid back when used in this manner.

FIT AND PERCEPTIONS:

The only issue I've found?... Well, in a place crowded with Beats headphones, it surprises me, but I kept getting kids, and chavlings (chavs) pointing at me, and laughing with me wearing them.
I have no idea why.
Yes, they don't look small on my head (as I said, I only have them on one click, so they are pretty big on my head) but they still look tonnes better, and more defining than any other headphone I think I could be wearing.
My ears then are pretty small and easily fit in the pads.
Did make me slightly conscience of the fact people were staring and looking though...

They are not a headphone to be going around, and not be noticed. You will be noticed in these. Maybe because they aren't round like the beats, they don't look as small?

Not saying its a bad thing, but a lot of people don't seem to get the look where I live. I got so many looks... just not sure what they were thinking. I was red faced by the time I passed through the Trafford Centre to get to work because of all the looks I was getting.

The sound though whilst out and about makes up for it. I still need to buy the Momentum's and compare though before making my final decision, but I do like the fact these are a lot more portable.

I had someone from work try them on and I played a Trifonic song - Nightrun, and on the drop at 1:30, he went "woh... tonnes better than beats man. I have some myself, but I can't see myself shelling out almost £300 on a pair"

SOURCES I USE, AND VERZA:

The details you can hear become more apparent when listening out and about, as I tend to do most of my listening outside, or late at night in my bed. Otherwise, I tend to have the speakers on.

If you would like anyone to test the Verza's out, I would love to be considered :p
I have two sound outputs for portable useage; A Samsung Galaxy S which is rooted with Voodoo Sound by Supercurio, which uses the wolfson chip to its max, and it sounds amazing.

Then, I have the Samsung Galaxy S 3, euro version, which also has a wolfson chip (unlike the US version). He hasn't released Voodoo Sound for this yet though, so its still stock (running Spotify on both and a few module players), but hopefully he will, and I can root, and install it.
The volume and sound quality isn't as good as on the S1, BUT, I'm running a 64gb card now on the S3, and with the M-100's, I can't max it out still, even outside, so its fine really, and its the typical one I use, as its my main phone too

Val, will the Verza use the digital out on the S3, and do exactly what the Voodoo Sound does on the S1 (but better)?

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #11,250 of 23,366
Quote:
Pffft, kids these days, they just don't know quality and style when they see it.

I know...
I do know though that they sound better than most portable headphones you can buy, and I have that at the back of my mind all the time & tonnes better than the ones they would try and wear.

I may post a picture of my wearing them.

Haha, if someone did recognise them though. I wouldn't be able to hear the person to conclude that is what they are thinking/trying to say... they are that good at blocking out sound with music on. I couldn't even hear the motorway traffic whilst going across the bridge, and even though I listen to music at a pretty good volume, I don't have ear fatique after taking them off.

Today I was listening to The Motors - Airport (just finished listening again to this track),
Jethro Tull - Warm Sporran
Jethro Tull - Slow Marching Band,
The Enid - The Whispering
DJ Peran - Good Time (Pulsedriver Remix)
Andy Williams - Home Lovin' Man,
Trifonic - Nightrun (really love that drop)
Trifonic - Baalbec
Lindsey Stirling - Crystallise,
Lindsey Stirling - Shadows

Older, better mixed stuff sounds very rich. The music styles I like are also very rich HAHA.
My own compositions sound great on these too :)

EDIT:

I think I may have finally gotten used to the sound signature on these though. A lot more enjoyable for me now, as I've pretty much accepted them. I wasn't so sure before. I'm very weird when it comes to new things, and always stress I haven't made the right decision, etc, which a few times has done me over, as I realized I prefered what I had prior after sending the other thing back.

I'm going to do another cross comparison with my dads set now, and see if they have improved, or I've just gotten used to the sound they have.

The paper towel mod is in place though, and it wasn't on the previous listen.

EDIT 2:

We both confirmed (with the paper mod in place), and the extra burn in they have had, that the sound on the M-100's has dramatically improved, and I actually prefer them now to my dads set :D
He also said that there is nothing now in the sound, and mine shows a lot more detail (no surprise there). A lot more detail in his voice for example.
His still sound a lot fuller (more open cans), but the soundstage on these is still impressive.

This is whilst listening to Procol Harum - Salty Dog.

It has a wonderful reverb that kicks in on his voice before the drums do, and that really shows on these.
You can also hear, which you can't hear on his, analog hiss on the drums, and bass.

I think I can now say I'm happy & finally relax about the purchase :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back