V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 5, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #11,266 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
And yes I did say that I wouldn't recommend the LP pads if you like how the M-100's sound and to go with DigitalFreak's paper toewel mod instead, but that doesn't necessarily mean the LP pads sound bad.

I didn't intend to imply that you thought it sounded bad, just wanted to warn simonpking that he might not want to rush out and order the LP2 pads strictly to solve his comfort issues.

It seems like you and BRSx both agreed though that the bass suffers with the LP2 pads, and that's what I vaguely remember Val commenting on.

Ah OK OK. Yeah if you like how the M-100's sound and comfort is an issue, try using DigitalFreak's paper towel mod [or the upcoming XL earpads].

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #11,267 of 23,366
So I just received my Vamp back after the firmware upgrade (received back from V-Moda within 3 days of them receiving from me and I am located on the opposite coast from their US headquarters).  In anticipation of its arrival, I converted all my files to 256K AAC.  I have been listening all day with VQ on and I can't imagine a better sounding, truly portable setup.  Based on my experience with Vamp, anyone who owns the M-100 and can find a way to justify the cost of Verza will be in for a real treat including forward and highly detailed mids as well as brighter highs.

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #11,268 of 23,366
Quote:
Ah OK OK. Yeah if you like how the M-100's sound and comfort is an issue, try using DigitalFreak's paper towel mod [or the upcoming XL earpads].

Thanks. I've done the PT Mod. I'll wait for the XL pads... Since Val mentioned that they haven't begun development of these earpads I'm guessing these are +6 months off (happy for you to correct me with an ETA Val).

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #11,269 of 23,366
Quote:
So I just received my Vamp back after the firmware upgrade (received back from V-Moda within 3 days of them receiving from me and I am located on the opposite coast from their US headquarters).  In anticipation of its arrival, I converted all my files to 256K AAC.  I have been listening all day with VQ on and I can't imagine a better sounding, truly portable setup.  Based on my experience with Vamp, anyone who owns the M-100 and can find a way to justify the cost of Verza will be in for a real treat including forward and highly detailed mids as well as brighter highs.

On that note...I also have found that converting my files from FLAC to 256k AAC is a good alternative in regards to sound quality vs file size ratio. Could be a "placebo" effect, but I think they sound better than 320 MP3's.

wink_face.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #11,270 of 23,366
Quote:
On that note...I also have found that converting my files from FLAC to 256k AAC is a good alternative in regards to sound quality vs file size ratio. Could be a "placebo" effect, but I think they sound better than 320 MP3's.

wink_face.gif

Yup, for portable listening, I think I found the sweet spot between SQ  and storage space at 256K Apple Plus.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #11,271 of 23,366
Quote:

So, the Vamp firmware upgrade essentially makes it a Verza in everything but look?

I really hope at some point I get to try it. Really want to get an easy digital out for my phone that will do a really good job, and conform to the shape too.

On another note, I don't have to worry about storage space, with a 64gb card now resting in my phone :D

EDIT:

Listening to Mahler - Symphony #2 in C Minor, "Resurrection", with the City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra - Mit Aufschwung aber nicht eilen
The bass when the organ kicks in :D

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #11,272 of 23,366
Quote:

So, the Vamp firmware upgrade essentially makes it a Verza in everything but look?

I really hope at some point I get to try it. Really want to get an easy digital out for my phone that will do a really good job, and conform to the shape too.

On another note, I don't have to worry about storage space, with a 64gb card now resting in my phone :D

EDIT:

Listening to Mahler - Symphony #2 in C Minor, "Resurrection", with the City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra - Mit Aufschwung aber nicht eilen
The bass when the organ kicks in :D

As a clarification, the firmware upgrade is strictly to fix a compatibility issue with Apple's OS6 where Vamp was constantly charging the Iphone and running down Vamp to quickly without the firmware upgrade.  Verza has a different design completely with different specs which Val hasn't shared yet, but I am anticipating a similar positive impact on SQ.  I was trying to upgrade my Iphone 4 to 64 gig from 32, but they don't make them new anymore, so I will get by with 32 gigs.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #11,273 of 23,366
Quote:

Isn't that a bad thing for you? I think I recall you saying that the M-100's had the perfect amount of brightness for you and any more would probably be too much.
Also, interesting findings with the VAMP. If it becomes more affordable, I might pick one up.

So I just received my Vamp back after the firmware upgrade (received back from V-Moda within 3 days of them receiving from me and I am located on the opposite coast from their US headquarters).  In anticipation of its arrival, I converted all my files to 256K AAC.  I have been listening all day with VQ on and I can't imagine a better sounding, truly portable setup.  Based on my experience with Vamp, anyone who owns the M-100 and can find a way to justify the cost of Verza will be in for a real treat including forward and highly detailed mids as well as brighter highs.

wink_face.gif

Probably placebo. I failed a [insert sound science only term] test between 256 kbps V0 LAME MP3 and CD-quality FLAC.
I use V0 LAME MP3 over AAC since MP3 is a more universally accepted file format. Technically AAC is superior, but the chances of you being able to detect the differences is pretty small, if non-existent, based on what I've read in the sound science threads.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #11,274 of 23,366
Quote:
Isn't that a bad thing for you? I think I recall you saying that the M-100's had the perfect amount of brightness for you and any more would probably be too much.
Also, interesting findings with the VAMP. If it becomes more affordable, I might pick one up.

Glad to see you pay attention to my posts
wink_face.gif
  It depends on the track.  For me, older recordings benefit more from VQ and I was "mellowing out" today.  I did a 70's flashback with Fleetwood Mac, Jim Croce and Carly Simon.  With most current popular music, I have VQ off since most current recordings seem to already have the treble boosted and VQ would be too much for me in some cases.  I did notice some hiss in VQ mode, but only during the quietest passages.  It is nice to have an easy one-button option rather than playing around with EQ software.  In either case, the improvement regarding mids is significant and I imagine it would benefit other headphones as well.  However, I believe Vamp was voiced to match a pre-production version of the M-100, so the combo is something special.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #11,275 of 23,366
Quote:

I can confirm the Vamp being a considerable upgrade to the M-100.  Better than my HAP-100, or HDP.  

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #11,277 of 23,366
I just hope the Verza doesn't cost more than anything else I carry on me. I don't mind spending lots of money on electronics, I mean, I'm a guy in my mid 20s, that's what we do. But for me there's a diminishing return with electronics that cost more than whatever it is they're accompanying. 

What I mean is, if my M-100s cost $300, and my iPod cost $300, then anything in between, no matter how advantageous, shouldn't cost more than, or even the average of the parts it's enhancing, or I'll feel it a waste somewhere a long the line, be it the M-100 or the Vamp or the iPod.

Sorry, I'm just cynical. But I know I won't buy the Vamp if it's any more than $250. I'm sure the longer I stay on head-fi the quicker that mentality will fizzle away. (I cam ehere looking for headphones and IEMs under $150 lol)

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #11,278 of 23,366
https://soundcloud.com/skrillex/sets/leaving-ep :xf_eek: on the M-100s. Skrillex's mixing has improved exponentially.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #11,279 of 23,366
Quote:
I just hope the Verza doesn't cost more than anything else I carry on me. I don't mind spending lots of money on electronics, I mean, I'm a guy in my mid 20s, that's what we do. But for me there's a diminishing return with electronics that cost more than whatever it is they're accompanying. 

What I mean is, if my M-100s cost $300, and my iPod cost $300, then anything in between, no matter how advantageous, shouldn't cost more than, or even the average of the parts it's enhancing, or I'll feel it a waste somewhere a long the line, be it the M-100 or the Vamp or the iPod.

Sorry, I'm just cynical. But I know I won't buy the Vamp if it's any more than $250. I'm sure the longer I stay on head-fi the quicker that mentality will fizzle away. (I cam ehere looking for headphones and IEMs under $150 lol)

This logic is a little puzzling to me.  I don't understand why they need to be similarly priced.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back