V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 4, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #11,251 of 23,366
Hi all new here.....and also my frist post(ok whatever :))

Have receive and been using the M-100 for a couple of days now and I must say good
stuff overall be it mobile(OTG...on the go) or immobile(e.g.home listening).
I guess enough have been said about the sound quality of the M-100 so I'm not
going into that.What I'm gonna say is that if your young or young at heart
and mainly listening to electronic/mordern/mainstream music then these are the goto
headphones handsdown IMHO.....don't get me wrong I love the sound signature
for whatever genre you throw at it.

My testbed :- 

MOBILE  ----> SGS3(HANDPHONE)--->JDSlabs ODAC(DAC)--->FiiO E11(AMP) or Xenos XOHA-REP(OLD miniAMP)--->M-100(HEADPHONE)

IMMOBILE ----> PC(foobar WASAPI/ASIO)--->JDSlabs ODAC(DAC)--->Yaqin MS20L(TUBEAMP)headphone out--->M-100(HEADPHONE)

----> PC(foobar WASAPI/ASIO)--->JDSlabs ODAC(DAC)--->Marantz SR7002(AVR)headphone out--->M-100(HEADPHONE)

----> PC(foobar WASAPI/ASIO)--->Citypulse Audio DA-2.03e(DAC)headphone out--->M-100(HEADPHONE)

----> PC(foobar WASAPI/ASIO)--->HDMI out--->Marantz SR7002(AVR)headphone out--->M-100(HEADPHONE)

Anyway I'm a bit of a cheapo so decided to do my own custom look/plate/holder..
Might not be as sleek looking as the ones you get with vmoda but they don't offer what I want.
As they say pictures say a thousand/million/whatever words

20130105_015031-1_zpsd4d40b96.jpg

20130105_015345-1_zps82620ee0.jpg

20130105_015751-1_zps165adaf3.jpg

IMG_20121224_170242_zpsf3ad97ac.jpg

One thing that I'm a bit dissapointed about is the case carabiner holder/hanger/loops
(the small cloth that you hang the case from).I've only use it like a day hanging the
case from my jeans belt loops and there is already a tear.Anyway the picture below should
show the problem better.

20130105_075322-1_zps86a27e3c.jpg

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #11,253 of 23,366
OK - this might be a little excessive but for the last couple of hours, I've been running the M100's out of my Schiit Stack: MacMini 2012 iTunes/Audirvana > Bifrost USB > Lyr > M100.
I have to tell you that the combo sounds pretty nice.  Yes, the volume on the Lyr is at about 7-8 o'clock but it does sound pretty amazing for what they are.  Nothing really lacking in the mids. Also tried it with the Audioengine D1, also pretty good.  Only have had them for just over 24 hours so I'm still playing around.  These are definitely my fun headphone.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #11,255 of 23,366
Quote:

MiceBlue - thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure whether the LP2 earpads fitted the M-100's. Now I'm thinking that i might just buy a pair of these earpads from V-Moda http://v-moda.com/lp-lp2-memory-cushions/

Did you ever get a response from Val about testing alternate/prototype ear cushions for the M100 (i found an old post about this from October 2012)?

Simon, you might want to hold off on ordering LP2 pads.  Most people have severely disliked them on the M-100.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #11,256 of 23,366
Yeah, if you read my last 2 posts, I can guarantee now that I really like these headphones. Compared to what I thought previously, its a big change, but I don't know whathas changed.
I have recovered from my cold though. That could have made a big impact..
I love the spaciousness you get and the extra details.
Maybe I have gotten used to the isolation?
I honestly couldn't tell you and it doesn't explain my dads reaction.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #11,257 of 23,366
Quote:
Yeah, if you read my last 2 posts, I can guarantee now that I really like these headphones. Compared to what I thought previously, its a big change, but I don't know whathas changed.
I have recovered from my cold though. That could have made a big impact..
I love the spaciousness you get and the extra details.

It really is getting used to the 'feel' of the bass as opposed to 'hearing' it, I find it balances it out for me. As for spaciousness and detail, I've heard better,  but not in this price range and market (closed/semi-closed).

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #11,258 of 23,366
Quote:
Well I ordered mine Dec 4th and 2nd cheapest shipping, which the website suggested was 6-10 days (USPS Express I think it was) and I got them on New Year's Eve. Had I have waited for Parcelforce to send me the customs clearance letter and let them deliver I would have got them today (in theory!) I didn't as when hey showed as having arrived at my local depot I went to collect them and pay the customs charges. In all, almost a month.
Given that it was over the Christmas rush, my experience might have been unusually bad but they were in customs clearance for 5 working days. The problem seems to be when they get to the UK end.
My advice, either get a more expensive (UPS) shipping option or order from Amazon.com (US not UK) as they seem to deliver more quickly. UPS will pay the customs charge and get the money from you on delivery rather than delaying delivery until you pay.

Well I used the more expensive one and it said one week...fingers crossed I guess lol I've learnt not to get my hopes up lately so I'm shooting for a  month-long wait anyway lol

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #11,259 of 23,366
Quote:

EDIT - I can probably look at your ears and tell you how you will perceive the sound if you tell me your genre, volume level and source!

#greatestsoundforgreatestamountofpeople

I am guessing it was a hypothetical, but I'd love to play this game and see what you think the XL pads will do for me!  :)

Genre is a mix of Top 40, Country, Rap, Rock, and Classical...Toss in some EDM here and there now that I have my M-100s.  Source is high bitrate MP3s from either my iPhone 4s, a squeezebox boom, or an Astro Mixamp...Volume is probably low to moderate.  I turn it up to the point that the bass thumps, but still 3-6 db before the highs start to hurt my ears.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #11,260 of 23,366
Well I used the more expensive one and it said one week...fingers crossed I guess lol I've learnt not to get my hopes up lately so I'm shooting for a  month-long wait anyway lol

Hope you get them quicker than I did, you should with the better shipping option. IMHO they're certainly worth the wait!

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #11,261 of 23,366
Wait
MiceBlue - thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure whether the LP2 earpads fitted the M-100's. Now I'm thinking that i might just buy a pair of these earpads from V-Moda http://v-moda.com/lp-lp2-memory-cushions/

Did you ever get a response from Val about testing alternate/prototype ear cushions for the M100 (i found an old post about this from October 2012)?

Simon, you might want to hold off on ordering LP2 pads.  Most people have severely disliked them on the M-100.

Wait really? I don't recall anyone saying they severely disliked the LP pads, except for me when they weren't installed correctly. I do recall someone saying things along the lines of what I hear with the LP pads though (was it alekei).

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #11,262 of 23,366
Quote:
Wait
Wait really? I don't recall anyone saying they severely disliked the LP pads, except for me when they weren't installed correctly. I do recall someone saying things along the lines of what I hear with the LP pads though (was it alekei).

It was way back when people first got their VTF's and the white LP pads were in-advertantly shipped with them.  Started with BRSx I believe, but Val, even chimed in about it indicating that the pads shipped were indeed not made for the M-100 and would/could have (if I remember the gist correctly) an adverse effect on the sound.

Don't forget, you even recommended against it for anyone that likes the way the M-100 sounds, but has comfort issues.

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #11,263 of 23,366
Quote:
Wait

I thought it was a general improvement. I liked how it settled the bass a bit, but I found the mids still sounded a little lifeless(compared to the M-80). Comfort was actually improved with the LP pads, but I still needed to take the headphones off my head every hour or two. At this point, I'm banking on it being a fit issue and hope the XL pads make the 100's sound to me as magical as others say they sound..
I'm really looking forward to impressions with the new pads; maybe I'll try another pair if the critical reviewers greenlight it
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #11,264 of 23,366
Wait

It was way back when people first got their VTF's and the white LP pads were in-advertantly shipped with them.  Started with BRSx I believe, but Val, even chimed in about it indicating that the pads shipped were indeed not made for the M-100 and would/could have (if I remember the gist correctly) an adverse effect on the sound.

Don't forget, you even recommended against it for anyone that likes the way the M-100 sounds, but has comfort issues.

Val did say the LP pads are slightly different than that of the M-100's, and he did say the M-100's earpads were carefully designed, but I don't recall him specifically connecting the two. He did advise not switching out the pads since it could wear away the seal, which would affect the bass.

Yes it was BRSxIgnition who tried the white LP pads (I believe only him and I posted about how the white LP earpads sound on the M-100), but he was unsure about how it sounded since he was sick and his thoughts of the M-100 changed when he got better.

And yes I did say that I wouldn't recommend the LP pads if you like how the M-100's sound and to go with DigitalFreak's paper toewel mod instead, but that doesn't necessarily mean the LP pads sound bad. The LP pads change how the M-100's sound that might be suited for someone who wants a much more balanced sound for home listening, and is a sound I prefer for that purpose. I've stated that the LP pads sound similar to the original paper towel mod, which I said change the M-100's sound a lot, and that I prefer this kind of sound for home listening (making it my Jack of Alltrades headphone), but not everyone would like this kind of sound especially if you enjoy the M-100 as it is or with the paper towel mod. The LP pads to me takes the effects of the paper towel mod and magnifies them (less bass, more forward mids, more treble extension, wider soundstage).

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #11,265 of 23,366
Quote:
And yes I did say that I wouldn't recommend the LP pads if you like how the M-100's sound and to go with DigitalFreak's paper toewel mod instead, but that doesn't necessarily mean the LP pads sound bad.

I didn't intend to imply that you thought it sounded bad, just wanted to warn simonpking that he might not want to rush out and order the LP2 pads strictly to solve his comfort issues.

It seems like you and BRSx both agreed though that the bass suffers with the LP2 pads, and that's what I vaguely remember Val commenting on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back