V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #11,206 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Huh. I wonder how the new pads will compare to the paper towel mods or the LP/LP2 earpads I have. Right now the M-100 with the LP/LP2 earpads is my Jack of Alltrades, though the K 701 is used more often for acoustic genres/soundstage/gaming.

MiceBlue - thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure whether the LP2 earpads fitted the M-100's. Now I'm thinking that i might just buy a pair of these earpads from V-Moda http://v-moda.com/lp-lp2-memory-cushions/

Did you ever get a response from Val about testing alternate/prototype ear cushions for the M100 (i found an old post about this from October 2012)?

No I didn't.

And I really disagree that the M-100's do well for all music genres. Listening to Assassin's Creed 3's soundtrack while playing the game, the midrange is pretty laid-back especially for the "tribal-sounding" tracks or the music played during Homestead missions.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #11,207 of 23,366
Quote:
No I didn't.

And I really disagree that the M-100's do well for all music genres. Listening to Assassin's Creed 3's soundtrack while playing the game, the midrange is pretty laid-back especially for the "tribal-sounding" tracks or the music played during Homestead missions.

The fact you are using a video game as reference for anything tells me all I need to know. As a musician for 23 years I know what instruments and most mixes should sound like. I know you are a kid but you should quit making definitive statements without any real knowledge.

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #11,208 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
No I didn't.

The fact you are using a video game as reference for anything tells me all I need to know. As a musician for 23 years I know what instruments and most mixes should sound like. I know you are a kid but you should quit making definitive statements without any real knowledge.

Look I don't mean to start an argument, but my opinion about the mids and the M-100 being a genre-specific headphone has been established since day 1 of listening in October, not just with video game soundtracks. For the record I hardly listen to video game soundtracks for enjoyment and I was hardly using it as a reference. I've written a huge review for these and I find the mids too laid-back for certain genres I listen to, and I listen to a lot of different music genres. Also, I'm 21 years old so I'm not a kid per se and I found that quite offensive.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #11,209 of 23,366
Quote:

Getting a little hostile, are we?  He merely used the soundtrack as an example.  I don't know how any headphone could be considered great for all genre's.  Also, you have no idea what his level of "real knowledge" is.  You are free to place whatever value you'd like on his opinion, but you have no right to tell him not to offer it on a public forum.  Miceblue has contributed a substantial amount to this discussion, unlike yourself.  It appears you are the only one trying to pass off unsubstantiated opinion as definitive statement.       

By the way...  Saying that you have 23 years of experience as a musician really only makes me question whether or not you may have experienced some hearing loss.   

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #11,210 of 23,366
Quote:
No I didn't.

Funny you should mention video game soundtracks. Actually I was perusing through the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword OST, and while it doesn't have the general flair of the older koji kondo stuff, some of the stuff really does sound fantastic, and I thought this in particular was really neat through the M-100's.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #11,211 of 23,366
Quote:

Have you actually owned the M-100's? Anyone here who've familiarized themselves with neutral headphones will point out the same thing. I find miceblue to be right on the mark with his impressions. I may not be a musician, but I've been around live instruments to know what real sounds like; to my ears, these headphones have recessed mids.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #11,212 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
No I didn't.

Funny you should mention video game soundtracks. Actually I was perusing through the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword OST, and while it doesn't have the general flair of the older koji kondo stuff, some of the stuff really does sound fantastic, and I thought this in particular was really neat through the M-100's.

Guu that was a weird level. Climbing the rope to get to the top of the temple with the zombies chasing you was fun though. XD
And yes that particular track does sound very nice with the M-100's.

Maybe it's the metallic instruments because I find gamelan to sound pretty good too with the M-100's.
It's not everyone's favourite cup of tea, but I like it:

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #11,213 of 23,366
Quote:

Miceblue merely said that he was testing the mids of the m100s with the soundtracks in AC3. The fact that you've been a so called musician for '23 yrs', would probably make me want to think twice about your opinion on the sound of ANY headphones.

Also it's obvious that the mids are quite recessed with the m100s. Imo even after the pp mod and hooking them up to a portable amp. We all know that they sound BEAUTIFUL with electronic genres and rap/ hip-hop( my fav. genres :) :) :) ...). However I have a question for you micdeblue & others who have been using the m100s for a while. What are other genres that they sound great/ good with? Please, very curious.

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #11,214 of 23,366
I wonder if anybody (besides miceblue, thx for your detailed review) can upload some pics of their M100's, specially anybody with the Matte Black version (my candidate). Its nice to see "real life" pictures to really get a feel of how they look. I really wish they had an orange audio-only cable for the Matte.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #11,215 of 23,366
Quote:
I wonder if anybody (besides miceblue, thx for your detailed review) can upload some pics of their M100's, specially anybody with the Matte Black version (my candidate). Its nice to see "real life" pictures to really get a feel of how they look. I really wish they had an orange audio-only cable for the Matte.

Only two pics I saved from when I owned them:

In hindsight, I wish I had taken more
blink.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #11,216 of 23,366
Quote:

that's a pretty glib statement. if you'd spend any time reviewing this thread you'd have come across miceblue's prolific posting on the m-100. he's made himself somewhat of a forum authority on the topic with his well constructed reviews, comparisons and objective posts. in his reviews miceblue references a range of music styles, sources, amps, and digital music formats. i for one value his opinion and contribution.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #11,218 of 23,366
Quote:

that's a pretty glib statement. if you'd spend any time reviewing this thread you'd have come across miceblue's prolific posting on the m-100. he's made himself somewhat of a forum authority on the topic with his well constructed reviews, comparisons and objective posts. in his reviews miceblue references a range of music styles, sources, amps, and digital music formats. i for one value his opinion and contribution.

+1

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #11,219 of 23,366
Quote:

So you don't agree that the mids are laid back?
Miceblue is perfectly right to say so. They are.

I listen to everything! Why should being a musician mean you should only listen to certain types of music? Surely that would make you closed off?
I listen to rock, trance, dance, pop, metal, rnb, dub, new age, modules (yes, computer amiga music, etc files), and that in my opinion makes me a lot more versatile.

If you love the product and don't think it has any flaws, great!
But don't go shooting down someone that thinks they do, because every ear is different, etc.
Mine are going back for the very reason that the mids are too laid back in the mix of a lot of music.

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #11,220 of 23,366
This is fun. I love stirring up trouble. I just find it funny that someone that posts alot is an authority on any subject. I could write a lengthy review on these and other headphones as well. My point is everyone should make their own conclusions. My conclusions are that the M-100s are a great headphone for all genres. They do specialize more towards the bass end of the spectrum but they are fun for most any music. 

I feel my background as a musician is very important. Playing live sessions for jazz, orchestra and even southern rock have given me perspective for many different things. The same can be said for my experience in the high end home audio and home theater. Setting up these systems and tuning them in room help you to learn what to listen for. I know what live sounds like and I know what many recorded sessions are trying to accomplish if you look at what the producer usually strives to achieve in his/her work. The point is many will mix to have vocals as the centerpiece and sometimes they will mix to blend them more. Look I am not trying to be the experienced one on this forum or even this thread. Its not that important to me. I have been in many more internet arguments on high end audio forums and I find it fun to challenge people. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back