V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 11, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #10,292 of 23,366
Ho gawd this is getting me excited for V-MODA's Revolver and Milano headphones. This was on their website. In case you didn't know, V-MODA re-VAMPed all of their products' webpages.
eek.gif

The first quadrant = HUGE win for me

^ dark purple audio-only cable colour

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #10,293 of 23,366
Yes, V-moda still has my VAMP, and when it get back I will do a comparison between the official sound (VAMP + M-100) vs. DragonFly and M-100.  I guess I will throw in a line or two when there is no DAC / AMP from the iPhone 4S or iPod Touch 5G.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you intend to do this comparison? Presumably your VAmp is still the iPhone 4(S) not the Verza. But the Dragonfly is a USB DAC.

i.e. you're comparing an iDevice DAC/Amp setup with a notebook-type USB DAC setup?

Seems to me there's more variables at play than just a DAC/Amp difference, unless I'm missing the goal of your tests altogether.

Don't mean to be critical, just curious.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #10,295 of 23,366
Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, how do you intend to do this comparison? Presumably your VAmp is still the iPhone 4(S) not the Verza. But the Dragonfly is a USB DAC.
i.e. you're comparing an iDevice DAC/Amp setup with a notebook-type USB DAC setup?
Seems to me there's more variables at play than just a DAC/Amp difference, unless I'm missing the goal of your tests altogether.
Don't mean to be critical, just curious.

Nothing that complicated, as I just want to give my option on anyone of those combos.  I will be listening to some tracks that I know well to see if I can tell the difference between them.  For example:

1, iPhone 4S only
2, VAMP + iPhone 4S without VQ
3, VAMP + iPhone 4S with VQ
4, DragonFly + iTunes
5, iPod Touch 5G only

BTW, the Verza is not out yet but I heard should be soon, can't wait.

p.s. it has been over 12 hours now, and I can tell that the M-100 is definitely missing some highs when there are a lot of mid range vocals going on.  I do think that part of the treble were masked by that huge mid range stage and very warm lower mids, but the highs are still clear once the mid range are less busy.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #10,296 of 23,366
Well lookie what we have here. I tried the LP/LP2 pads again and this time it sounds MUCH better than what I recall from last time....to the extent where it sounds very similar to my original pad mod. :xf_eek:
I must not have had the pads in all the way last time because I noticed that tucking the last part of the pad into the earcup was particularly difficult for me.

dbdynsty25, I would be interested in what you think of the M-100 with your LP/LP2 pads.

With the LP/LP2 pads correctly installed:
  1. bass is reduced about as much as my original paper towel mod, check
  2. midrange is more forward, more so than with DigitalFreak's mod, check (Lindsey Stirling's violin is forward and focused-on, check)
  3. treble extension/upper-treble is increased, making it more suitable for rock music, check (drummer mode is in action, check)
  4. soundstage is much wider and less deep, check (it passed all of my soundstage tests: Team Fortress 2 sentry surround sound, Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2", Ottmar Lieber's Up Close album, and even passing the binaural recording effects in Pearl Jam's Binaural album)
  5. instrument separation is increased, check (instruments are better defined, making it a much better contender for rock tracks with a lot of notes being played at once by different instruments)

Interesting interesting. I'm really, really, really liking my LP/LP2 pads on the M-100. Earpad mods are not needed with these pads, so both comfort and sound are not a problem for me.
I'll have to give this a better listen on Wednesday. I need some sleep now. >.>

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #10,298 of 23,366
Has anyone in Canada received theirs yet? Mine apparantly shipped  on Dec 4. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #10,302 of 23,366
Quote:
Well lookie what we have here. I tried the LP/LP2 pads again and this time it sounds MUCH better than what I recall from last time....to the extent where it sounds very similar to my original pad mod. :xf_eek:
I must not have had the pads in all the way last time because I noticed that tucking the last part of the pad into the earcup was particularly difficult for me.

dbdynsty25, I would be interested in what you think of the M-100 with your LP/LP2 pads.

1. bass is reduced about as much as my original paper towel mod, check
  2. midrange is more forward, more so than with DigitalFreak's mod, check (Lindsey Stirling's violin is forward and focused-on, check)
  3. treble extension/upper-treble is increased, making it more suitable for rock music, check (drummer mode is in action, check)
  4. soundstage is much wider and less deep, check (it passed all of my soundstage tests: Team Fortress 2 sentry surround sound, Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2", Ottmar Lieber's Up Close album, and even passing the binaural recording effects in Pearl Jam's Binaural album)
  5. instrument separation is increased, check (instruments are better defined, making it a much better contender for rock tracks with a lot of notes being played at once by different instruments)

Interesting interesting. I'm really, really, really liking my LP/LP2 pads on the M-100. Earpad mods are not needed with these pads, so both comfort and sound are not a problem for me.

Very interesting :D
May very well pick up the LP/LP2 pads when I get mine then

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #10,303 of 23,366
Quote:
Ho gawd this is getting me excited for V-MODA's Revolver and Milano headphones. This was on their website. In case you didn't know, V-MODA re-VAMPed all of their products' webpages.
eek.gif

Quadrant I seems kinda empty to me (tee hee)

And dark purple cable colour is best cable colour

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #10,304 of 23,366
Quote:
eek.gif

Quadrant II top right seems hot. I bet that will be Milano lol.
I wanted to order the red cable but I'm waiting for the velor pads and boom mic/coil pro cables to come in so that it'll be free shipping for my order of 50$ or more :p

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #10,305 of 23,366

• bass is reduced about as much as my original paper towel mod, check
  • midrange is more forward, more so than with DigitalFreak's mod, check (Lindsey Stirling's violin is forward and focused-on, check)
  • treble extension/upper-treble is increased, making it more suitable for rock music, check (drummer mode is in action, check)
  • soundstage is much wider and less deep, check (it passed all of my soundstage tests: Team Fortress 2 sentry surround sound, Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2", Ottmar Lieber's Up Close album, and even passing the binaural recording effects in Pearl Jam's Binaural album)
  • instrument separation is increased, check (instruments are better defined, making it a much better contender for rock tracks with a lot of notes being played at once by different instruments)

Does it change the sound enough to have a similar balance of sound to the m80, if you've heard it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back