V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #10,321 of 23,366
Where have you heard that? The M100s are meant to have a better treble response with more detailed highs. The mids are most likely just as recessed but the detail is meant to be better. The bass is also stronger but doesn't impact the detail anywhere else, or shouldn't

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #10,322 of 23,366
Quote:
Where have you heard that? The M100s are meant to have a better treble response with more detailed highs. The mids are most likely just as recessed but the detail is meant to be better. The bass is also stronger but doesn't impact the detail anywhere else, or shouldn't

Next to each other, the M-80 has a more balanced sound to them. The upper-treble seemed a bit edgey to my ears but they aren't harsh at all. The upper-midrange was pretty good and the vocals were [more] up-front. The bass was somewhat punchy and had decent extension. For home listening, the M-80's overall sound would probably be more preferable to many and I think it would be more enjoyable to listen to with more music genres. The M-100's bass is pretty dominating when compared next to the M-80, and the laid back upper-treble is somewhat apparent. If you're listening to rock music at home, personally I think the M-80 would be a better choice. While mobile listening on the other hand, the M-80 probably wouldn't be as good as the M-100.

The details presented in the M-100 are also more apparent when compared to the M-80. The M-80 reveals details to a certain extent, but the M-100 in comparison is definitely more detailed.

Yes in the sense that the M-100 does most things better than the M-80, but I would prefer a more balanced sound for home listening for I listen to more genres of music at home than while mobile listening (I mostly listen to pop, rock, and electronic for mobile use). From the hype of this thread, I was hoping for a M-100 with less bass and more upper-treble.

I've read in some reviews that the M100's upper treble is somewhat recessed...Did I misinterpret it somehow?

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #10,323 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

I've read in some reviews that the M100's upper treble is somewhat recessed...Did I misinterpret it somehow?

I guess I inadvertently said the M-80 has better treble extension, which it does when comparing graphs; maybe that's why I thought the M-80 was a little better for rock, and having less bass helps bring the midrange into better focus.
(faded curve is the M-80)

With the LP/LP2 pads, the extension is a bit better, so rock music does sound a bit livelier. The drumset in Radiohead's "Weird Fishes / Arpeggi" song is a few steps closer towards the singer, which is a few steps forward compared to the M-100's earpads, and the bass guitar is a step or two behind the singer.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #10,324 of 23,366
Quote:
I guess I inadvertently said the M-80 has better treble extension, which it does when comparing graphs; maybe that's why I thought the M-80 was a little better for rock, and having less bass helps bring the midrange into better focus.
(faded curve is the M-80)

With the LP/LP2 pads, the extension is a bit better, so rock music does sound a bit livelier. The drumset in Radiohead's "Weird Fishes / Arpeggi" song is a few steps closer towards the singer, which is a few steps forward compared to the M-100's earpads, and the bass guitar is a step or two behind the singer.

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm also wondering how the M100 fare detail-wise against the SRH940s you own. I've read before that the SRH940s are immensely detailed phones. And I do prefer my phones to be detailed.

Thanks.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #10,325 of 23,366
OMG guys, I just did something crazy and here are my foundings:

1, Since there are 2 3.5mm ports for input, you can have BOTH active at the same time and the sound from both input will come out together on both sides.
2, The mic / remote still works under this due input setup, as I was using my iPhone 4S as a secondary input.
3, if you connect the other side to a line-in / mic input, you can use the M-100 as a pass through and actually record what you are hearing.

Have fun with your M-100.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #10,326 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.  I'm also wondering how the M100 fare detail-wise against the SRH940s you own. I've read before that the SRH940s are immensely detailed phones. And I do prefer my phones to be detailed.

Thanks.

The SRH940 is much more revealing than the M-100, but at the cost of having a relatively quiet and rolled-off bass response and much more treble energy, which isn't in everyone's favour. The SRH940's forward midrange and prominent treble response reveals a lot of subtle things in tracks that headphones with a less forward midrange and less prominent treble won't be able to pick up as easily.

The M-100 is pretty much the complete opposite of the SRH940 in terms of sound signature; bassy and laid back midrange vs trebley and forward midrange; or musical vs analytical.

On another note, if you use the M-100's while exercising and your ears get sweaty/oily...it shows up on the [grey] earpads even after it's been aired out. Not the most appealing sight to see. >_<''

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #10,328 of 23,366
Quote:
Ho gawd this is getting me excited for V-MODA's Revolver and Milano headphones. This was on their website. In case you didn't know, V-MODA re-VAMPed all of their products' webpages.
eek.gif

The first quadrant = HUGE win for me

^ dark purple audio-only cable colour

Oh nice! What do you mean first quadrant = huge win, btw? You mean if something was there?
I would like to see an M-100 shifted right above the M-80. Theres no values on the graph so I don't know if that means much, haha.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #10,330 of 23,366
Quote:
So the M80 has more upper treble and midrange emphasis than the M100s? Shouldn't that mean it's more detailed as well? I wonder why the M100s are more detailed despite being more recessed in the upper treble and midrange regions...

Still undecided about what to purchase. I want phones that are detailed as well as excel in both home and mobile listening.

The wider soundstage contributes to the greater perception of detail in the M-100- better separation.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #10,333 of 23,366
Quote:
Just curious guys, I love the M100's extreme bassy-ness at around the 80% volume mark on my iphone. Could that actually impair my hearing, if I keep it this high??

At least to my ears I find that the bass comes from the *sensation* of vibration in my cranium. So basically, what Craigster said: worry about the high frequencies more than the low. That said, the M-100 does have a V-shaped sound signature which means that if the sound is bassified that means you could be edging into dangerous territory. Try warming up your ears at the beginning of a listening session by listening at lower volumes, keep it safe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back