V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #8,716 of 23,366
Quote:

The Leckerton UHA 6SMkII's highly praised in Head-Fi. A chap in Tokyo Head-fi has got one but I've not had a chance to listen to them.

95% of my M-100 time has been by the VAmp (which uses an OPA1612 OpAmp). But for occasional testing I also tried the aforementioned RSA SR-71b, & ALO Rx Mk3. Admittedly historically I've not been a fan of the SR-71b and prefer the Rx Mk3 in general for most of my headphones, however the M-100 is one of the few headphones where the SR-71b has good synergy with.

Hopefully I'll get to try the Leckerton this weekend though.

Any thoughts on the pending Sicphone amp as a potential mate for the M-100?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1682246865/sicphones-a-high-end-silicon-carbide-headphone-amp

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #8,719 of 23,366
Quote:
Any idea if the iPhone/iPod cable for LP2 works with the M100?

M-80's 3-button works fine on the M-100. If the LP2 uses the same M-80 3-button cable then yes to your question.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #8,722 of 23,366
Quote:
I tried searching for the manufacturer, but could not find.  Speaking of portable amps that pair well with the M-100, I am considering upgrading my FiiO E11.  Anyone have any thoughts on the JDS Labs C421 and the differences between their chip options: OPA2227 and AD8620?  Any other portable amps in the $200 range that might bring out the mids and lows a little more?

I don't know too much about the C421 but I've heard it's like a mini-version of the Objective2 amp, which I ordered and is on its way (alongside with the ObjectiveDAC).
I was actually contemplating between the C421 and the O2 (form factor vs raw performance power). I ended up getting the O2 just because of 1) it's transportable, and 2) its raw performance.

And this song sounded pretty darn AWESOME while on the bus today.

On a side note, I do notice some channel imbalance; the left channel seems quieter on some tracks to me at some parts.

Quote:
I have questions to ask and can you people please ans. them, btw i am a head-fi noob

1) Is the comfort unbearable/a dealbreaker?
2)Will there be orange cables, the apple kind?
3)Will this sound ok with the ipod touch 5g?
4)Im looking at the amperiors, momentum and ue9000/6000 and how do the m100 compare with them?
5) Are these good with vocals because i listen mostly to pop, RnB, and rap

• It's not unbearable/a dealbreaker for me, but evidently it has been for others. If you work out/exercise while wearing the M-100, the earpads might become compressed a lot and your ear will probably press against the driver enclosure, which may/might not be uncomfortable to you (yesterday it was pretty painful for me)
  • Apple 3-button control cable? No. SpeakEasy cable (1-button, 1 microphone)? Yes
  • Yes I believe people have said they sound just fine out of their iPhones/iPod
  • M-100 > UE6000 (UE6000 has more forward mids) >> Amperior (I personally really didn't like the Amperior, other than the fun bass punch)
  • They're pretty good. The vocals are not up-front/in-you-face, but they are pleasant to listen to for modern music (T-Swift sounds really good to me; her voice isn't right up-front in your face, as I said, but it's very pleasantly balanced with the drums and bass while I listened to her Fearless and Speak Now albums on the bus this morning)

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #8,723 of 23,366
Thanks AnakChan, dbdynsty25! That's one more plus point on the V-MODA100.

Anyway, has anybody done any comparison on the M100 to Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, PSB M4U 2, and UE6000?  I am trying to find a replacement for my LP2.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #8,724 of 23,366
I'm having some problems with my unit.

So, the kevlar on my M-100 audio cable has entirely split from the top of the mic section, completely exposing the wire on all sides.

Not only that, but my cracked wing plate has now cracked for a second time. (I swear I'm not being brutal with my unit. I treat it pretty well IMO)

Even more, I've found that the 3.5mm connector is too shallow (or something) to connect with either of my Fiio amp 3.5mm inputs, making it nearly impossible to use the M-100 with either my E7 or E9. I have to get the perfect positioning with the angle on the cable or all I get is a tinny mess.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #8,725 of 23,366
Quote:
So i have been lurking for a while and am going to preorder the m-100s right now. I was just wondering if the boom mic will be included with my preorder.

No it will not, the Boom Mic was a special accessory only included with the VTF-100 Pre-orders (the very first ones) - It will be available down the road for an extra 10-20 dollars I assume though.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #8,726 of 23,366
That sounds like a cool idea, similar to the "The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30" thread, but with a little more structure.

Personally I don't know too much about gaming, and is the main reason why I haven't commented much on the Boom Pro Mic cable.

But speaking of gaming, I need to give this a test on the M-100:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-10-16-12-ps3-bd-playback-in-dolby-digital
^ well at least the Team Fortress 2 video. I play a little TF2, so I guess I can try it with the M-100 eventually.

...and actually that video gave me a good sense of the M-100's soundstage. I definitely sense more depth than width as I've mentioned before. The two sentries at the L/R locations at 1:48 in the video seem to be more diagonal L/R, giving a larger sense of depth. On the SRH940, the L/R locations are much more accurate from my quick listen, and the echo effects in the TF2 room makes the room much more realistic-sounding than the M-100 relatively speaking.

Wow OK this is kind of scaring me. With the original, long piece short piece, paper towel mod, the soundstage IS in fact wider as I previously mentioned as well. The L/R imaging of the sentries is more accurate (L/R as opposed to diagonally behind L/R) and the echoes of the sentries in the room make the room sound much larger than it was in the unmodded version....this larger soundstage actually does rival the SRH940, also as mentioned before. :blink:

Lol yes, I have been on MLE's guide thread much more than here. I got the idea for my thread because I see a lot of the same questions asked on his thread, over and over, so I thought if people could jump to a current topic or back to a topic they're interested in, they wouldn't be overcome by TL;DR syndrome.

The surround processors are very addictive. I think it's fascinating that the effect works for you, on the V-MODA's because Mad Lust Envy (MLE) pans them by reflex because they're closed, assuming they won't have any soundstage. He might've given them a chance, except he also hates pleather and thinks the Crossfade look is too flashy. IMO they Beyer MANUFAKTR he is OOOH-AAAAHing about looks even more garish, while also far more than $15-$25 to customize. I personally own the Recon3D processor, which works quite well for me and is nicely tweakable (will post an "article" detailing my testing on getting the best surround effect on an Xbox or Mac), but Mad was a little biased against it from the start. Kind of like how many people hate Macs for one reason (before they were popular) or another (now that they are) without ever working with one.

However, mad's guide is very useful because it's one person's taste reacting to maaaaaany different headphones for gaming with a Mixamp. If you can figure out just how much YMMV from his, you can read between the lines and make some theories about what headphones you would enjoy. I imagine, however, people in this thread are pretty happy with which headphone they have now, but I hope to bring up the unanswered questions around them. Of course that includes impedance, but also stuff like the differences of good amping, and a topic I intend to revisit every once in a while: knowing what I know now, what would I have done instead.

Maybe I should just jump in and do it, lol.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #8,727 of 23,366

So, the kevlar on my M-100 audio cable has entirely split from the top of the mic section, completely exposing the wire on all sides.

Not only that, but my cracked wing plate has now cracked for a second time. (I swear I'm not being brutal with my unit. I treat it pretty well IMO)

Even more, I've found that the 3.5mm connector is too shallow (or something) to connect with either of my Fiio amp 3.5mm inputs, making it nearly impossible to use the M-100 with either my E7 or E9. I have to get the perfect positioning with the angle on the cable or all I get is a tinny mess.

That sucks. I guess you'll have to return the unit then?

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #8,728 of 23,366
Quote:

This happened a lot with the first run of Crossfades. I purchased my first pair upon their arrival over 2 years ago and I had very similar issues - the cable totally frayed exposing the wires and the inside of the wingplates cracked on both sides due to over-screwing from the manufacturing process, cracking it.

Just e-mail V-MODA and I'm sure they can help you through the process - pictures would probably help too!

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #8,729 of 23,366
Didn't Val say something about there not being any replacement parts? I might need a replacement wing plate and cable at some point soon. I don't know how well super glue is going to keep the parts from being damaged further (it didn't seem to help much with the wing plate).

As an aside, I don't really know why Val used plastic instead of metal for the wing plates, because they seem to be very prone to damage, and they don't really match up with the headband material, at least on the white units.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #8,730 of 23,366
Now that my ears are clearing, and my M-100's have 100+ hours of burn in, I'm really starting to love them. It seems that the problem i was having with rock was mainly the fact that the song was mastered badly. For rock songs mastered well, it's much, MUCH better. I just hope we get thicker pads so the comfort is fixed, then these'll be my go-to portables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back