V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #8,746 of 23,366
I have seen this regarding many newly released headphones on Head-fi.  All I can say is that I consider myself to be particular regarding sound and I still LOVE the M-100 sound two weeks later.  So, I would say when the dust settles, the M-100 will have staying power based on being a solid all-around performer.  Also, I can't think of another closed headphone in or above its price range I would rather own that works as well at home as it does as a portable.

X2, couldn't have said it better myself!

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #8,747 of 23,366
Quote:
They're not my favorite rock cans, but these work extremely well with quite a few different songs. I'd say that some are "okay" but others are pretty fun to listen to.

Could you maybe please post the names of a handful of tracks that are just "okay" so we can get an idea of what kind of music doesn't sound as good? Pretty please?

Quote:

Hey would you mind posting some comparisons vs. your Beyers?  (Those are DT1350's, right?  Or DT50p?  something like that?).  If you've already done that then I apologize (it's hard to go back through over 600 pages of thread!!).  Thanks!

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #8,748 of 23,366
Quote:
I have seen this regarding many newly released headphones on Head-fi.  All I can say is that I consider myself to be particular regarding sound and I still LOVE the M-100 sound two weeks later.  So, I would say when the dust settles, the M-100 will have staying power based on being a solid all-around performer.  Also, I can't think of another closed headphone in or above its price range I would rather own that works as well at home as it does as a portable.

^ +9001

Of all of the headphones that I've tried in the > $500 mark, I would honestly pick the M-100 over those headphones for overall performance, and its portability and plethora of customization options are added bonuses.
Sure I may have been the guy always talking about how these are "meh" for rock music, the mids are slightly laid back, the soundstage is deeper than wide, and having too much bass for home/quiet environment listening, but as a whole these are REALLY excellent headphones for the price. And although unintentional, when the earpad is modded I think the M-100 can be a really excellent headphone for a balanced home/quiet environment listening experience as well as making it more versatile for more music genres.

In short: pros >> cons

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #8,750 of 23,366
Quote:

Could you maybe please post the names of a handful of tracks that are just "okay" so we can get an idea of what kind of music doesn't sound as good? Pretty please?

Hey would you mind posting some comparisons vs. your Beyers?  (Those are DT1350's, right?  Or DT50p?  something like that?).  If you've already done that then I apologize (it's hard to go back through over 600 pages of thread!!).  Thanks!

My full review'll be coming up soon enough. For now, Let's just say that the sterility of the DT1350's is as present as ever in comparison to the vitality and musicality of the M-100, yet its neutrality gives a more accurate and better experience with jazz/bossanova/classical. But the DT1350's never groove. They never purr, and switching back to them feels rather cold.

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #8,751 of 23,366
Quote:
I got drastically different depth measurements from there, mine measure out nearly twice as deep (5/8ths of an inch) and Craigster seems to have gotten a similar measurement.

Ah, I see what you're talking about. I was measuring from the driver enclosure to the lip of the pad, which is not the true depth of the earpad. Good catch.

From the driver enclosure to the top of the earpad, yes, I measure 6/8 in (~2 cm).

Quote:

I just realized, you look a lot like my brother from the side.
blink.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #8,752 of 23,366
Asians, you know. We're all the same person!

Anyway for those curious about the M-100s. I wouldn't say that we're being overly negative about it. All headphones will have certain gripes and things that they don't excel in, and a lot of times you'll hear the negatives more loudly. The fact that most people in spite of these negatives have continued to praise the sound is a good sign that Val has succeeded in designing a very detailed, very fun headphone. While coming up for how to write my review, I like to look at the "audience" something is marketed to, so I let a whole bunch of people from people more concerned about comfort than sound to audiophiles use my M-100's, and I believe that Val has succeeded in his "V the People" philosophy, the "Greatest sound for the greatest number of people"

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #8,753 of 23,366
Quote:
After reading the last few pages of the thread, it seems feelings towards the m-100s are now much more negative than initially thought at first release. Are you guys genuinly now disapointed with how the've been performing after further use, or are you now just trying to find any sort of means to improve upon them and being as critical as possible? Do you guys like them or what? I ordered them the other day and was very excited but now am scared I'm making some mistake.

Nobody has said the M-100 is a bad headphone and if anything the very vast majority of people on this thread seem to really enjoy them. Yes at one time this thread was a runaway locomotive of hype during pre release but now that they've been released peoples excitement has settled down a little and they've turned their attention to enjoying their new investment. Yes there has been some observations in the negative about fit etc and there's no 50 pages of users posting "OMGGGGG I GOT MY M-100'S WHAT CRAZY BAZZZZZZZZZZZ" or "THESE CANS SLAY OMMGGGGG I CAN PRACTICALLY FEEL THE BASS CAVING IN MY CRANIUM AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH I THINK THE SPACE TIME CONTINUUM HAS STARTED TO RIP AROUND ME".

If anything this thread has now become the most informative it's ever been because people are being completely objective. It's also now become even more informative for V-MODA itself. I guarantee you if they're not doing it right now they eventually will be checking some of the comments on this thread and taking notes and use the information on what to watch out for on future products and further improve their products. Of coarse my above comments is neither here nor there. Your question is more centered on whether me and others like these headphones and whether you should be worried about your purchase. I can't speak for anyone else but I can speak for myself and speaking as a natural born cynic whose also cheap these cans are nice sounding cans and for their price point they deliver a lot to the table. So the answer to your questions are firstly yes I like my M-100's very much and don't regret buying them and secondly I wouldn't worry about not liking them because the vast majority of people seem to like what they hear. I hope that puts you at ease. Now go crank some tunes with your buddies and enjoy yourself until your new headphone arrives.

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #8,754 of 23,366
Quote:
My full review'll be coming up soon enough. For now, Let's just say that the sterility of the DT1350's is as present as ever in comparison to the vitality and musicality of the M-100, yet its neutrality gives a more accurate and better experience with jazz/bossanova/classical. But the DT1350's never groove. They never purr, and switching back to them feels rather cold.

Although I think they're a very good sounding headphone the DT1350 isn't what I'd call the greatest textbook neutral. That aside, yeah, I know where you're coming from.

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #8,755 of 23,366
Quote:
Although I think they're a very good sounding headphone the DT1350 isn't what I'd call the greatest textbook neutral. That aside, yeah, I know where you're coming from.

Right, yeah. It's not the greatest, but it focuses more on a more accurate representation than a bit of coloring to make things fun. Which is great. But as miceblue has pointed out time and time again, the extra bass coloring in an unmodded (haven't tried modded) is super awesome for commuting as a student. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #8,756 of 23,366
Quote:

If anything this thread has now become the most informative it's ever been because people are being completely objective. It's also now become even more informative for V-MODA itself. I guarantee you if they're not doing it right now they eventually will be checking some of the comments on this thread and taking notes and use the information on what to watch out for on future products and further improve their products. 

V THE PEOPLE
^I've read every syllable of every sentence and I am overwhelmed by the positive feedback overall on the sound especially (which is mostly what matters).  I need everybody to always remind themselves that the original Crossfade LP is now the #1 ranked modern headphone of 20,000+ headphones by consumer reviews in the world!   I got your back and ears, don't worry...

As Gizmodo said recently:
"But no matter how clean the lines and matte the metal, we still complain. It scratches! It's making some kind of strange barely-audible rattling noise! It's taking too long to ship!

So the labor machine runs faster. Workers are asked to do more with the same bodies and same training, as if industriousness were as simple as turning a knob. It's unfair, and it's funded by us."

http://gizmodo.com/5952874/is-it-immoral-to-own-an-iphone-5?popular=true

to be continued.. (I've wrote a TON of replies but I want to polish them up before posting!)

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #8,757 of 23,366
Quote:

V THE PEOPLE
^I've read every syllable of every sentence and I am overwhelmed by the positive feedback overall on the sound especially (which is mostly what matters).  I need everybody to always remind themselves that the original Crossfade LP is now the #1 ranked modern headphone of 20,000+ headphones by consumer reviews in the world!   I got your back and ears, don't worry...

As Gizmodo said recently:
"But no matter how clean the lines and matte the metal, we still complain. It scratches! It's making some kind of strange barely-audible rattling noise! It's taking too long to ship!

So the labor machine runs faster. Workers are asked to do more with the same bodies and same training, as if industriousness were as simple as turning a knob. It's unfair, and it's funded by us."

http://gizmodo.com/5952874/is-it-immoral-to-own-an-iphone-5?popular=true

to be continued.. (I've wrote a TON of replies but I want to polish them up before posting!)

Ah the Foxconn news...I'm guessing this article somehow highlights things that you take into account for your (V-MODA's) products: quality control

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #8,758 of 23,366
Quote:

Given some of the recent comments, I'm looking forward to your replies.

Two things:

-I have yet to read an overtly negative statement regarding the M-100's sonic performance.

-My ears are taking a break. (sorry, DigitalFreak... I'll try your mod when I'm able)  Allergy-induced headaches make headphone listening predictably problematic. (thanks erratic New York weather!)

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #8,760 of 23,366
Wore these on the bus today for close to 2 hours, while my ears were uncomfortable most of the time, they didn't hurt after I took them off. I must say though, that I did have a headache about halfway through the trip, a bad one.

Not sure why that is - but I haven't worn them enough to really break-in the headband. Maybe that's why? I think it's mainly the clamping force.

All I know is thicker pads would really help the comfort, and other than the comfort - these are amazing headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back