V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #8,566 of 23,366
Quote:

Have you tried any test tones to confirm?

Well I played a bass-heavy song switched to mono and it was pretty clear with that.  Trying that test tone though, it seems like it probably is just my ears...it's ~70hz where it suddenly drops out in my left ear.  Thanks for showing me that.  I'm gonna need to test someone else with this too though!

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #8,567 of 23,366
Well I played a bass-heavy song switched to mono and it was pretty clear with that.  Trying that test tone though, it seems like it probably is just my ears...it's ~70hz where it suddenly drops out in my left ear.  Thanks for showing me that.  I'm gonna need to test someone else with this too though!

I need to redo the test post burn in, but I also noticed a slight L/R misbalance at some frequencies, but assumed it was me vs headphones.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #8,571 of 23,366

Quote:
M-100 VS. PRO700MK2ANV

Amped w/ DigiZoid ZO2.3

Truth be told, no major differences from what I posted above.

One difference I would make note on is the fact that the MK2's actually lose a bit of detail across the spectrum when amped, and I actually see a larger improvement in the M-100's amped vs. unamped. This may be due to the fact that the MK2's are insanely easy to drive.

Concensus:

Do yourself a huge favor and use Miceblue's paper towel mod, buy a ZO2, and enjoy one of the best portable setups I have ever heard, ever.

P.S. - DigiZoid ZO2 was on High Gain mode, and at Yellow-Green contour (more yellow than green) for all testing.

Hi Leon,

Thanks for posting your review. I'm also looking into the possibility of picking up a Digizoid ZO2. 

Out of curiousity, what PMP & cable are you using with your ZO2? 

Also, can you please elaborate on what you meant when you said "[Amped w/ Digizoid ZO2.3] Truth be told, no major differences from what I posted above."

Am I right to assume that there is only an incremental improvement amping the M-100 with the Digizoid?

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #8,572 of 23,366
Quote:
So, is it the consensus that V-Moda should make the standard ear pads larger or would that compromise the fit for some people?

I think the consensus is that they should make larger pads available at least. I'm not sure that they should go as far as making them the default. I think that would be better saved for a second version (a la LP2), after Val sends out - and Head-Fi tests - the proto-pads.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #8,573 of 23,366
So, is it the consensus that V-Moda should make the standard ear pads larger or would that compromise the fit for some people?

I wouldn't say it's the general consensus but the consensus of some.

I doubt they would change the stock pads but they would definently include it as a option for those that have larger ears or those that just prefer bigger wider ear pads.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #8,574 of 23,366
Can you confirm wether the momentum cable will fit into M100 once you receive it? absolutely hate fabric type cable, looking for a replacement cable atm.

No it wouldn't fit. Momentums use 2.5mn in the headphone end. M-100 continues using 3.5mm plugs on both ends.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #8,575 of 23,366
Quote:

I'm very curious in M100 now though particularly thanks to Leon Dota's ZO2.3 + M100 impressions being a ZO fanboy and owning ZO1, ZO2.1 and ZO2.3 and also the recent talk of the padmod which I know by experience has worked well for me in the past. I think for me, ZO2.1 + padmod = ZOMG BASS EXTRAORDINARIE PLUS with still EXTREME DETAIL

Hey, thank you very much. I listed some more notes/impressions below, after I answer Jourdanc's questions.

Quote:
Hi Leon,

Thanks for posting your review. I'm also looking into the possibility of picking up a Digizoid ZO2. 

Out of curiousity, what PMP & cable are you using with your ZO2? 

Also, can you please elaborate on what you meant when you said "[Amped w/ Digizoid ZO2.3] Truth be told, no major differences from what I posted above."

Am I right to assume that there is only an incremental improvement amping the M-100 with the Digizoid?

Hello! Let me answer those questions for you.

In my testing I actually used my 2012 MacBook Pro (not entirely sure on the sound card specs of this thing), and my iPod Classic (Cirrus CS42L55 DAC). I used the 1-button mic cable that came with the M-100's to connect the cans to the ZO2, and then a 36" Jambox stereo cable (double male 3.5mm jack) to connect my iPod to my amp.

To answer your other question, what I meant was that when compared to both headphones being unamped, amping them did not create any major differences between what I had already said on the M-100 vs. the Proo700MK2ANV. Both headphones benefit from amping (the M-100 quite a bit more than the MK2's).

FURTHER IMPRESSIONS OF MODDED M-100 + DIGIZOID ZO2.3

I don't have a ton else to say than what has already been said, but I do want to mention that the M-100's bass is VERY versatile and able to span across the whole low-end spectrum.

What I mean is the in rock or alternative songs, the bass pedal of a drum kit pounds nicely, but isn't terribly strong; the guitars and vocals still take center stage. But in electronica songs (for example, Paul Oakenfold), the bass rises to club-worthy levels. it's really cool to me. And mind you, this is without me fiddling with the contours of the ZO2.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #8,577 of 23,366
I've revisited pad stuffing and listened intently over the course of an hour.  I packed the material more densely than in previous trials in an attempt to recreate miceblue's splendidly detailed tutorial.  I cycled the recommended paper towels and cotton rounds -- my go-to stuffing material -- with near-identical results.  I then went back to the stock configuration, revisited the same content for another 30 minutes, and contrasted my results.

Comfort
When cold, the increased rigidity of the pads caused unpleasant pressure around my ears.  However, comfort became tolerable after the pleather warmed a bit.  No part of the pad nor driver housing touched my ears at any point with the pads "fully" stuffed, so it was a give-and-take from stock.

Sound Signature
Contrary to what I had previously experienced with my minimal stuffing scheme, there were substantial audible changes with the "full" modifications in place.  On the whole, the presentation moved forward and gained some immediacy; it was enough to make me listen at a lower volume than with stock.  Because of this, it's difficult to determine if the overall soundstage space changed.  If it did, I would strain to say it did so meaningfully.  In addition to what others had previously described as a loss of bass, I felt that the lower-midrange had also lost weight to a degree.  Troublingly, I found that articulation suffered in these frequencies.  To cite an example, Matthew Dear's guttural drawl on Fighting is Futile often became indistinct from the underlying bass groove, but laudable tonal separation returned with the removal of the excess materials.  Furthermore, what I feel is the absolute standout performance area of the M-100 -- the upper-midrange/lower treble rendering/timbre -- was highly altered.  As with the lower frequencies, a loss of nuance was detected along with a definite upward push in tonality.  As another specific observation, Hanne Hukkelberg's assertive vocalizations on the rawly-produced Noah took on a nasally sheen that crossed the threshold into outright aggressiveness.  As a result, the unsettling anticipation felt by the repeated toeing of that particular line was lost.  I'd go so far as to state that this is a direct sampling of why a chain of quality audio components is necessary for one to achieve a proper emotional connection with their preferred music, but I'll opt to digress that argument for now.

Synergy, of course, is of the utmost consideration.  My basic setup is as follows:

Macbook Pro -> Audirvana Plus (Direct, Exclusive, and Integer activated) -> FLAC -> Audioquest DragonFly-> M-100

Depending on one's own equipment, content, and tastes, the stuff mod changes could be considered an improvement.  For me, however, it's back to stock for the time being.  That said, another big 'ol THANK YOU to miceblue and other like-minded individuals who dare to boldly experiment.  Bravo!

An extreme aside, but I've played the heck out of both Beams and Featherbrain and am coming to the realization that they'll both most likely crack my personal top ten (of '12) before the year is out.  Huh...
Quote:

It has some handy quick reference tools.  It's also hilariously fun to throw some headphones on an unsuspecting victim and play the binaural knocking. (as I did to my girlfriend... her motioning toward the door followed immediately by a look of confusion was priceless)

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #8,579 of 23,366
I think it's safe to say the padding the cups mod gives the sub bass a slight cleaner sound and makes the bass sound like it's been reduced a couple of decibels. Overall effect is a cleaner effect causing the mids to sound like it's taken a small step forward especially in the lower mids

@ miceblue
@Leon Dota
@Curly21029 (man I love that handle)

OK, me miceblue and Leon all seem to be hearing the same, generally speaking of coarse. Curly not so much so. Since we're all experimenting I want you guys to try the following out. Yank out all your padding and I do mean all of it. From there rewrap 4 smaller pads about a third the size of the full wraps we've all been using. Make sure you wrap them round tight and make it thick to the point it's really snug once you insert them under the pad. Now whatever you do DO NOT pad the side of the pads only pad the very top and bottom of the pads so that roughly only half of the inside pad has padding. If you have the padding sized right and stuffed tight enough the sides of the pads will be elevated and clear of any blockage. I repeat the flat side portion of the pads should remain completely clear of any padding. Try and make the sizing so that the padding stops at the very last bend of the triangular tips on the top and bottom of the cup.

Now, throw them on and fire up a test tune you've listened to a million times. Be sure it's also a tune you've listened to with the M-100 before any mods were applied. Once you've given the song a good listen get back to me on thread concerning your findings specifically on sub bass and highs. I've already done this mod and I'm not going to say anything more until I've heard from anyone else.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #8,580 of 23,366
Quote:

I've revisited pad stuffing and listened intently over the course of an hour.  I packed the material more densely than in previous trials in an attempt to recreate miceblue's splendidly detailed tutorial.  I cycled the recommended paper towels and cotton rounds -- my go-to stuffing material -- with near-identical results.  I then went back to the stock configuration, revisited the same content for another 30 minutes, and contrasted my results.

Comfort
When cold, the increased rigidity of the pads caused unpleasant pressure around my ears.  However, comfort became tolerable after the pleather warmed a bit.  No part of the pad nor driver housing touched my ears at any point with the pads "fully" stuffed, so it was a give-and-take from stock.

Sound Signature
Contrary to what I had previously experienced with my minimal stuffing scheme, there were substantial audible changes with the "full" modifications in place.  On the whole, the presentation moved forward and gained some immediacy; it was enough to make me listen at a lower volume than with stock.  Because of this, it's difficult to determine if the overall soundstage space changed.  If it did, I would strain to say it did so meaningfully.  In addition to what others had previously described as a loss of bass, I felt that the lower-midrange had also lost presence to a degree.  Troublingly, I found that articulation suffered in these frequencies.  To cite an example, Matthew Dear's guttural drawl on Fighting is Futile often became indistinct from the underlying bass groove, but laudable tonal separation returned with the removal of the excess materials.  Furthermore, what I feel is the absolute standout performance area of the M-100 -- the upper-midrange/lower treble rendering/timbre -- was highly altered.  As with the lower frequencies, a loss of nuance was detected along with a definite upward push in tonality.  As another specific observation, Hanne Hukkelberg's assertive vocalizations on the rawly-produced Noah took on a nasally sheen that crossed the threshold into outright aggressiveness.  As a result, the unsettling anticipation felt by the repeated toeing of that particular line was lost.  I'd go so far as to state that this is a direct sampling of why a chain of quality audio components is necessary for one to achieve a proper emotional connection with their preferred music, but I'll opt to digress that argument for now.

Synergy, of course, is of the utmost consideration.  My basic setup is as follows:

Macbook Pro -> Audirvana Plus (Direct, Exclusive, and Integer activated) -> FLAC -> Audioquest DragonFly-> M-100

Depending on one's own equipment, content, and tastes, the stuff mod changes could be considered an improvement.  For me, however, it's back to stock for the time being.  That said, another big 'ol THANK YOU to miceblue and other like-minded individuals who dare to boldly experiment.  Bravo!

An extreme aside, but I've played the heck out of both Beams and Featherbrain and am coming to the realization that they'll both most likely crack my personal top ten (of '12) before the year is out.  Huh...

It has some handy quick reference tools.  It's also hilariously fun to throw some headphones on an unsuspecting victim and play the binaural knocking. (as I did to my girlfriend... her motioning toward the door followed immediately by a look of confusion was priceless)

Wow, very interesting findings. Thanks for your impressions!

Here are some notes/scribbles I made while listening to Fourplay's Chant song (sorry for the weird wording, I was trying to write how I think an instrument sounds XD):
Modded
good instrument separation
drum up front
drum pedal has punch, a little too much for me
bass guitar is very prominent, and has lots of authority
cymbals ts ts ts audible, more in background (quiet)
snare drum easily heard, back on stage
1:11 very good left/right imaging, lots of air between instruments
voices in background in front of snare drum a few steps
other drums have very forward sound
1:40 voices slightly in front of drums, front stage, bass guitar in front of drums (well defined notes)
piano is very clear, in front of drums and background vocals, front stage
2:50 guitar? now takes front stage, piano good distance away, bass next to piano, cymbals barely audible
cymbals clearly defined, nice authority
very good L/R imaging for drumset
5:50, cymbal ting ting ting ting audible, voices in front, bass guitar slightly behind voices

Unmodded
good instrument separation
drum up front, but more behind than modded, tonality seems off (sounds flatter in sound)
drum pedal has more punch
bass guitar is not as clear, (bu duuuuum ditto dooom, doom part is much quieter than modded), but louder than modded overall
cymbals ts ts ts ts is barely audible, still in background
1:11 ok left/right imaging (less wide)
snare drum easily heard, might cover "doom", seems farther back than modded
voices in background seem further back than before, but still in front of drums
decent left/right imaging, not as wide
1:40 main vocals seem quieter than bass guitar (doom doom doom doom doom bass), bass guitar in front stage, notes not well defined
piano is clearly defined again, not as forward, but in front of drumset and bass guitar, behind background voices (sound nasally)
2:50 guitar takes front stage, piano behind, bass guitar in front of piano (overshadows)
cymbals clearly defined, way behind vocals
good L/R imaging for drumset
5:34, cymbal ting ting ting ting audible, next to voices, bass guitar in front

Overall, modded sounds like a wider stage with better instrument separation, but not as deep (sounds like 1st row in a concert?), unmodded sounds like a deeper stage with less width and the bass guitar is more forward in the stage (sounds like 10th row in a concert? more reverb sound?).

I feel that this type of jazz (I don't know what to call it...I call it smooth jazz; usually has piano/keyboards, bass guitar, drums, second guitar, light vocals) is a great match for the M-100.

Quote:

I think it's safe to say the padding the cups mod gives the sub bass a slight cleaner sound and makes the bass sound like it's been reduced a couple of decibels. Overall effect is a cleaner effect causing the mids to sound like it's taken a small step forward especially in the lower mids

@ miceblue
@Leon Dota
@Curly21029 (man I love that handle)

OK, me miceblue and Leon all seem to be hearing the same, generally speaking of coarse. Curly not so much so. Since we're all experimenting I want you guys to try the following out. Yank out all your padding and I do mean all of it. From there rewrap 4 smaller pads about a third the size of the full wraps we've all been using. Make sure you wrap them round tight and make it thick to the point it's really snug once you insert them under the pad. Now whatever you do DO NOT pad the side of the pads only pad the very top and bottom of the pads so that roughly only half of the inside pad has padding. If you have the padding sized right and stuffed tight enough the sides of the pads will be elevated and clear of any blockage. I repeat the flat side portion of the pads should remain completely clear of any padding. Try and make the sizing so that the padding stops at the very last bend of the triangular tips on the top and bottom of the cup.

Now, throw them on and fire up a test tune you've listened to a million times. Be sure it's also a tune you've listened to with the M-100 before any mods were applied. Once you've given the song a good listen get back to me on thread concerning your findings specifically on sub bass and highs. I've already done this mod and I'm not going to say anything more until I've heard from anyone else.

I'll have to give this a try later today/tomorrow, I need to write an essay for class tomorrow... >_<''

Users who are viewing this thread

Back