V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #8,552 of 23,366
I owned a pair of crossfades briefly and found them to be a bit uncomfortable.  The problem was that the driver sits flush in a metal plate.  That plate was basically pushing up against my ears, flattening them out a bit.  Even with foam under the pads pushing them out, there still wasn't enough space in there.

Has anyone had this experience with the crossfades and tried the m100?  Do they have the same problem?

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #8,553 of 23,366
Quote:
I owned a pair of crossfades briefly and found them to be a bit uncomfortable.  The problem was that the driver sits flush in a metal plate.  That plate was basically pushing up against my ears, flattening them out a bit.  Even with foam under the pads pushing them out, there still wasn't enough space in there.

Has anyone had this experience with the crossfades and tried the m100?  Do they have the same problem?

Clearly you haven't read any portion of this thread.  Multiple people have complained and Val has stated that they will be coming out with different versions of ear pads in the future if your ears desire.  :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #8,556 of 23,366
[size=10pt]Salutations,[/size]

[size=10pt]After reviewing the threads, I am not entirely certain you have received an answer to your question. [/size]
[size=10pt]A few comments--in the interest of transparency:[/size]

[size=10pt]1. I am not an audiophile, just an average listener who appreciates a better-quality headphone.[/size]

[size=10pt]2. I listen to predominately EDM that ranges from vocal trance to glitch-hop and everything in between, as well as some alternative and rock. [/size]

[size=10pt]3. I have owned Shure, Beyerdynamic, Grado and Sennheiser headphone—mostly in the $150-$250 price point.[/size]

[size=10pt]4. I am not brand loyal, nor do I work for any company in the audio or electronics field.[/size]

[size=10pt]5. I own the Momentum (bought in early October) and have pre-ordered the M-100[/size]

[size=10pt]That said, reading this particular thread, it appears slanted towards the M-100—which is understandable since it is an appreciation thread. From all the reviews I have read both the Momentum and M-100 are among the best mid-fi, closed headphones currently available. Both have slightly colored sounds that are more “fun” than analytical. Both have emphasized bass, but are not, necessarily, marketed towards DJs or bassheads. [/size]

[size=10pt]My general perception is that those on this thread have been eagerly awaiting the M-100 for months and seem to want the M-100’s to be the elusive perfect mobile headphone. To this end, those that are lucky enough to have been a part of the pre-order have spent significant time with burn-ins, track selection, modifications to the form of the earcups, and have carefully worded their reviews. I fully believe them that the M-100 is a superior product. However, I believe that the Momentum is also a fantastic headphone. [/size]

[size=10pt]As I stated above, I bought (and am keeping) the Momentum and have pre-ordered the M-100. Without having heard the M-100, just having read nearly the entire thread and every review I can find online, I will posit that the M-100 will sound every bit as good as the Momentum, and likely exceed it in terms of bass quality and quantity. The mids and highs seem to be nicely rendered on both cans, and it would seem that it is a matter of preference as to which sound is to an individual’s liking.[/size]

[size=10pt]Both headphones are priced around $300.00 notwithstanding promotional offers. Given what I believe to be their close approximation in “value” I would offer the following opinions.[/size]

[size=10pt]* The Momentum is the most comfortable headphone I have ever used.[/size]

[size=10pt]* The Momentum is beautifully made and looks like a headphone an adult would wear—as opposed to headphones that are clearly designed (and endorsed by celebrities) to appeal to the less-discerning.[/size]

[size=10pt]* The Momentum comes with a nifty 3-button iDevice cable with microphone.

* The M-100 is not mass-marketed and is developed by a company that genuinely cares about their customers—as opposed to the larger companies that mass produce their wares and have a business model built on sales volume not, necessarily, customer service or satisfaction.
[/size]

[size=10pt]* The M-100 is highly customizable, and is highly likely to have numerous accessories.[/size]

[size=10pt]* The M-100 appears to be extraordinarily durable.

In closing, both would seem to be excellent headphones for mobile use. Both seem to have laudable sound signatures that are both fun whilst not creating anything that could be considered contrived (i.e., Beats overemphasized bass). If you are buying for overall comfort and looks, I would recommend the Momentum. If you want a headphone that is truly unique, built and sold by a (American) company that has a reputation for taking care of its customers, I would buy the M-100.
[/size]

[size=10pt]Please note that this advice is not based on how the headphones sound, as they have both been positively reviewed. Obviously, if you have the opportunity to audition both headphones, I would do so to determine which sounds better to you based on your personal listening preferences.[/size]
[size=10pt]I hope this helps.[/size]

[size=10pt]P.S.[/size]

[size=10pt]Given this is the V-Moda M-100’s thread, allow me to thank V-Moda for taking the time to develop and release this product. Although I do not technically need another closed headphone, [/size]
[size=10pt]your commitment to the customer and the many positive reviews on this thread convinced me otherwise. [/size]

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #8,557 of 23,366
Quote:
[size=10pt]Salutations,[/size]

[size=10pt]After reviewing the threads, I am not entirely certain you have received an answer to your question. [/size]
[size=10pt]A few comments--in the interest of transparency:[/size]

[size=10pt]1. I am not an audiophile, just an average listener who appreciates a better-quality headphone.[/size]

[size=10pt]2. I listen to predominately EDM that ranges from vocal trance to glitch-hop and everything in between, as well as some alternative and rock. [/size]

[size=10pt]3. I have owned Shure, Beyerdynamic, Grado and Sennheiser headphone—mostly in the $150-$250 price point.[/size]

[size=10pt]4. I am not brand loyal, nor do I work for any company in the audio or electronics field.[/size]

[size=10pt]5. I own the Momentum (bought in early October) and have pre-ordered the M-100[/size]

[size=10pt]That said, reading this particular thread, it appears slanted towards the M-100—which is understandable since it is an appreciation thread. From all the reviews I have read both the Momentum and M-100 are among the best mid-fi, closed headphones currently available. Both have slightly colored sounds that are more “fun” than analytical. Both have emphasized bass, but are not, necessarily, marketed towards DJs or bassheads. [/size]

[size=10pt]My general perception is that those on this thread have been eagerly awaiting the M-100 for months and seem to want the M-100’s to be the elusive perfect mobile headphone. To this end, those that are lucky enough to have been a part of the pre-order have spent significant time with burn-ins, track selection, modifications to the form of the earcups, and have carefully worded their reviews. I fully believe them that the M-100 is a superior product. However, I believe that the Momentum is also a fantastic headphone. [/size]

[size=10pt]As I stated above, I bought (and am keeping) the Momentum and have pre-ordered the M-100. Without having heard the M-100, just having read nearly the entire thread and every review I can find online, I will posit that the M-100 will sound every bit as good as the Momentum, and likely exceed it in terms of bass quality and quantity. The mids and highs seem to be nicely rendered on both cans, and it would seem that it is a matter of preference as to which sound is to an individual’s liking.[/size]

[size=10pt]Both headphones are priced around $300.00 notwithstanding promotional offers. Given what I believe to be their close approximation in “value” I would offer the following opinions.[/size]

[size=10pt]* The Momentum is the most comfortable headphone I have ever used.[/size]

[size=10pt]* The Momentum is beautifully made and looks like a headphone an adult would wear—as opposed to headphones that are clearly designed (and endorsed by celebrities) to appeal to the less-discerning.[/size]

[size=10pt]* The Momentum comes with a nifty 3-button iDevice cable with microphone.

* The M-100 is not mass-marketed and is developed by a company that genuinely cares about their customers—as opposed to the larger companies that mass produce their wares and have a business model built on sales volume not, necessarily, customer service or satisfaction.
[/size]

[size=10pt]* The M-100 is highly customizable, and is highly likely to have numerous accessories.[/size]

[size=10pt]* The M-100 appears to be extraordinarily durable.

In closing, both would seem to be excellent headphones for mobile use. Both seem to have laudable sound signatures that are both fun whilst not creating anything that could be considered contrived (i.e., Beats overemphasized bass). If you are buying for overall comfort and looks, I would recommend the Momentum. If you want a headphone that is truly unique, built and sold by a (American) company that has a reputation for taking care of its customers, I would buy the M-100.
[/size]

[size=10pt]Please note that this advice is not based on how the headphones sound, as they have both been positively reviewed. Obviously, if you have the opportunity to audition both headphones, I would do so to determine which sounds better to you based on your personal listening preferences.[/size]
[size=10pt]I hope this helps.[/size]

[size=10pt]P.S.[/size]

[size=10pt]Given this is the V-Moda M-100’s thread, allow me to thank V-Moda for taking the time to develop and release this product. Although I do not technically need another closed headphone, [/size]
[size=10pt]your commitment to the customer and the many positive reviews on this thread convinced me otherwise. [/size]

[size=10pt][/size]

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated, and yes of course this is leaning towards the M-100 since it's the M-100 thread. :wink:
Both headphones have their share of discomforts and problems from what I've read about the Momentum (both are semi-circumaural for some people).

While on the topic of other headphones though I got a chance to compare the M-100 to the UE6000 at a local Apple Store today (these observations are with the unmodded M-100 since I preferred the unmodded version for louder environments).
  1. To me there seemed to be more mid-bass on the M-100 which bled a bit into the lower midrange. Compared to the (passive mode) UE6000, the UE6000 has a more forward midrange with better instrument separation, and the lower mids were much more audible at roughly the same listening level as the M-100. This was really evident to me on some tracks. Maybe it's the laid back presentation of the M-100's mids.
  2. The tibre of the upper mids for the M-100 were much better though, especially with female voices
  3. The highs were more realistic-sounding to my ears with the M-100
  4. The soundstage of the M-100 was definitely a lot wider and deeper than the UE6000 (like an HD800 vs LCD-2 difference). I'm not sure if this kind of large soundstage is completely natural though, as I found the super wide soundstage of the HD800 a bit unrealistic-sounding to me.

Quote:
[size=10pt]If you want a headphone that is truly unique, built and sold by a (American) company that has a reputation for taking care of its customers, I would buy the M-100. [/size]

Inspired in Italy. Styled in Hollywood. Assembled in China. It's not 100% American.

Relating to the paper towel mod, I got to try it at school and on the bus today.

Modded
  1. It does have better noise isolation but not a whole lot more, as I mentioned. The bus's engine noise was drowned out a bit more, especially the higher frequencies.
  2. Cymbal crashes and other higher frequency sounds were more apparent than unmodded

Unmodded
  1. The U-shaped sound is more preferable, to me, while walking on campus/with extra background noises
  2. The bass was more easily heard over the outside noise than the modded version, so it was actually really pleasant to hear the bass guitars in some tracks over people's conversations
  3. Laid back lower midrange was harder to hear over outside noise, but the upper mids were nicely balanced with the bass (snare drum and cymbal hits can get a bit fatiguing though)
  4. The quieter [upper?] treble was also more pleasant to my ear since it's not fatiguing (the modded version was a similar experience with my SRH940, too little bass and lower mids, too much upper mids and highs)

As for the paper towel pieces themselves, I wish there was a more reasonable solution. Paper towels only last so long before they start to lose their integrity after stuffing them in/out multiple times in the M-100 (I'm not trying cotton balls since those are really messy and are much harder when rolled up).

Overall I'm extremely satisfied with the M-100, unmodded and modded. I only wish the mids were a tad bit more forward, but that's a personal preference.
  1. As a road warrior, the unmodded version is a great headphone for fun listening sessions.
  2. At home, the modded version is my new reference headphone!
Conclusion? The SRH940 has officially been dethroned from being my top headphone under $1000!
L3000.gif

* And yes I really mean under $1000; I personally didn't care for the HD600, HD650, Denon AH-D5/7000, and I've only heard the HE-500 not properly amped (it sounds similar to the SRH940)

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #8,558 of 23,366
Ok, so I did some more experimentation today with caulk saver (foam tubing)

I used 3 pieces in each ear strategically placed to give me the room I need and create "pockets" for my ears to go into.

In short - I like this much better than the napkin I was using.  With Val's Once Bitten as the test track I saw the sparkle return to the highs, the bass returned to what it was, and in general a much less altered sound signature.  I am going to trim the pieces down, but this will be my default setup until the larger pads arrive.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #8,559 of 23,366
fixed.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #8,561 of 23,366
Quote:
Ok, so I did some more experimentation today with caulk saver (foam tubing)

I used 3 pieces in each ear strategically placed to give me the room I need and create "pockets" for my ears to go into.

In short - I like this much better than the napkin I was using.  With Val's Once Bitten as the test track I saw the sparkle return to the highs, the bass returned to what it was, and in general a much less altered sound signature.  I am going to trim the pieces down, but this will be my default setup until the larger pads arrive.

Interesting. This is much different from the sound I get with the paper towel pieces. I wonder if it has to do with the holes that are on the underside of the earpads' lip, or maybe it's the stiffness of the earpads/distance the ear is from the driver as a whole. The paper towels make the earpads less "squishy" so they don't compress as much when they're on one's head, thus their ears are farther away from the driver (not by much but still some distance away).

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #8,562 of 23,366
Quote:
Interesting. This is much different from the sound I get with the paper towel pieces. I wonder if it has to do with the holes that are on the underside of the earpads' lip, or maybe it's the stiffness of the earpads/distance the ear is from the driver as a whole. The paper towels make the earpads less "squishy" so they don't compress as much when they're on one's head, thus their ears are farther away from the driver (not by much but still some distance away).

I was wondering how much the sound signature change had to do with the distance vs. the stuffing of the holes, which primarily drove me to this experiment.  In my experience manufacturers seldom do things like putting vents in an otherwise solid piece of material unless there is a really good reason (one reason could be air release, but then a single hole is all that is necessary, another reason could be to tailor the sound signature) because it adds additional tooling and production cost to the product.  Since I actually prefer the unaltered sound signature I was looking to add the space that I need, but not change the way the headphones sound.

I do need to add, I have not gone back and done an A/B/A with this vs. unaltered, because I was pleased with both the bit of extra room this gave me over the napkin as well as the overall sound presentation.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #8,564 of 23,366
I swear I'm getting some channel imbalance with these...while I'm pretty sure I have a bit of a low-frequency hearing loss in my left ear, and I can definitely tell with these headphones (although sometimes it doesn't show up as much with other headphones?), when I swap them around and put them on backwards the problem seems to go away?  This leads me to believe it's a problem with the seal, as it's mostly just the low sub bass frequencies that are affected.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #8,565 of 23,366
Quote:
I swear I'm getting some channel imbalance with these...while I'm pretty sure I have a bit of a low-frequency hearing loss in my left ear, and I can definitely tell with these headphones (although sometimes it doesn't show up as much with other headphones?), when I swap them around and put them on backwards the problem seems to go away?  This leads me to believe it's a problem with the seal, as it's mostly just the low sub bass frequencies that are affected.

Have you tried any test tones to confirm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back