V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #8,176 of 23,366
Quote:
The thing is you only have one input? You want the boom mic to go into both sound out and mic in. So you don't have two cables.. 
I'm super curious about what Val was thinking when he didn't just make a mic, as a mic..

There are a lot of reasons for this -- This isn't as big a deal as you guys are making it out to be.  Either way you do it about half of the use cases will need an adapter.  For me, if it was separate mic/headphone plugs then I would need to use an adapter to put them back together for use gaming with my PC/XBox/PS3 and if I want to plug it into my phone.

I personally think this setup makes the most sense for 2 reasons.  If someone does want to use this on their smartphone/tablet (think podcasters and other mobile audio enthusiasts looking for maximum recording quality) this allows them to have a very minimalist setup.  For people that want to plug it directly into their PC there is a simple adapter available and the added bulk of that adapter is pretty much a non-issue. 

I guess the simple way to put it is if he did it the other way around people would be on here complaining that now they have to have a big ugly adapter hanging off their phone in order to use the mic and asking what Val was thinking.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #8,177 of 23,366
It makes total sense.  People need to calm down.  :)

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #8,178 of 23,366
Quote:
Was listening to my M-100 today at the local Starbucks a couple of hours ago (actually was doing another M-100 vs Momentum face-off) and I think I heard something weird on Michael Jackson's Human Nature. I didn't pick this up before in other headphones but whilst listening on the M-100s, I picked it up rather clearly.

Just wondering if any of you other guys have the Michael Jackson's Thriller album. If you do, have a listen to Human Nature and starting from around 0:14 onwards (throughout the whole song) there is this rather annoying chime that's obviously part of the music but is off-key. You can hear it from the left channel in the background. At first I thought it was someone's cell phone going off, but realised it was coming from the track. It sounds a little bit like some kinda ringtone that's trying to follow the song's main melody but it's way off-key.

The M-100 was detailed enough to highlight that - but now I know what to search for, it's driving me nuts in every headphone I hear. Let me know if you guys hear that off-key tone in the Human Nature song track.

I just pulled it up and couldn't remember where you said it was.  I heard something odd that sounded like it was off to my left/behind me and then re-read your post...yeah, that's weird. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #8,180 of 23,366
Quote:
Was listening to my M-100 today at the local Starbucks a couple of hours ago (actually was doing another M-100 vs Momentum face-off) and I think I heard something weird on Michael Jackson's Human Nature. I didn't pick this up before in other headphones but whilst listening on the M-100s, I picked it up rather clearly.

Just wondering if any of you other guys have the Michael Jackson's Thriller album. If you do, have a listen to Human Nature and starting from around 0:14 onwards (throughout the whole song) there is this rather annoying chime that's obviously part of the music but is off-key. You can hear it from the left channel in the background. At first I thought it was someone's cell phone going off, but realised it was coming from the track. It sounds a little bit like some kinda ringtone that's trying to follow the song's main melody but it's way off-key.

The M-100 was detailed enough to highlight that - but now I know what to search for, it's driving me nuts in every headphone I hear. Let me know if you guys hear that off-key tone in the Human Nature song track.

Yea I hear this thing you're speaking of, sounds like a bit offpitched "music box" to me, hearing it with my Q40 too. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #8,182 of 23,366
Quote:
So, if I'm understand right, the boom mic will only work plugged into something like a smartphone? But if you want to use it with your computer, you need a special voip adapter? How much does one of them cost?

Edit: nevermind, I found it on the website. Hopefully the boom mic will come with one of these included... 
Speaking of which, anyone know when the boom mic will be available? I want to order it together so I don't have to pay twice for shipping..

All Apple products for years, smartphones, many new PC notebooks and almost all tablets support the one-input for both audio/mic too besides just Apple.  When it comes out for sale at a price TBD, we will include the splitter for PC use as it is not a cheap accessory.  But, it was a bonus and the splitter is not ready yet.  I just hope more PC makers switch to the dual headset/headphone ports as it is a standard.  

I wonder if Windows 8 notebooks/PCs do now?

-V

We actually do make them and they are $15, we just didn't have near enough to give them away with the VTF promo. Sorry, but we gave it our all! 

http://v-moda.com/voip-adapter/

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #8,183 of 23,366
Quote:

All Apple products for years, smartphones, many new PC notebooks and almost all tablets support the one-input for both audio/mic too besides just Apple.  When it comes out for sale at a price TBD, we will include the splitter for PC use as it is not a cheap accessory.  But, it was a bonus and the splitter is not ready yet.  I just hope more PC makers switch to the dual headset/headphone ports as it is a standard.  

I wonder if Windows 8 notebooks/PCs do now?

Awesome. I think most new devices have a combined port, but on the other hand, most desktops (which a lot of people use for gaming), do not AFAIK. 
I'm guessing that new win8 tablets will have a combined port. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #8,184 of 23,366
Quote:

Yea I hear this thing you're speaking of, sounds like a bit offpitched "music box" to me, hearing it with my Q40 too. 

Quote:
I just pulled it up and couldn't remember where you said it was.  I heard something odd that sounded like it was off to my left/behind me and then re-read your post...yeah, that's weird. 

Cheers guys, glad I'm not going crazy. I actually think it's bad recording/mastering or if it's purposefully part of the track, then the sound engineer's a wacko. Oh wait....wacko jacko - honestly that just came to me :D.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #8,185 of 23,366
Quote:

Cheers guys, glad I'm not going crazy. I actually think it's bad recording/mastering or if it's purposefully part of the track, then the sound engineer's a wacko. Oh wait....wacko jacko - honestly that just came to me :D.

Maybe they never noticed it because they needed better headphones to hear it, hahaha. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #8,186 of 23,366
From the website:
"The pricing is not valid for China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Japan.
V-MODA does not ship products to such countries and regions."

I live in Japan. 

Does that mean that I can't pre-order? :frowning2:

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #8,187 of 23,366
Quote:
From the website:
"The pricing is not valid for China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Japan.
V-MODA does not ship products to such countries and regions."

I live in Japan. 

Does that mean that I can't pre-order? :frowning2:

Our biggest source of info to both Head-Fi and Val lives in Japan, and he was the first outside the company to get a pair I believe. You can message them, but since they just opened a store in Asia, I think you should be fine. Don't take my word for it though - this is just my thoughts.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #8,190 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm not quite sure I'm following this correctly, but why can't you just plug the sound part into an amp and the mic part into your comp? Do you really need the voice fed through the amp?

Amp improves SQ. Also, they're on a mac, so no combined mic/headphone port. They need the VOIP adapter.

Daphen, wouldn't it work best if you got the VOIP adapter, plugged the headphone into the end of the VOIP adapter, plug the headphone jack into the amp, amp into computer, then the mic jack right into the computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back