V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 13, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #7,816 of 23,366
Yeah I sent V-MODA an e-mail; it was kind of a long note relative to others that I've seen (I asked if he could write something like: personally inspected by Val Kolton + other stuff). I'm not too bummed out about it though.
List of tracks I've used for the cymbals:
Cloudkicker - Amy I Love You
Illness Sickness - Anything But Postrock
Battles - Futura
Matt Mayfield - It's All About You
12 Girls Band - 莫高窟 (Mo Gao Ku)
Malice Mizer - Le ciel

So I listened to those songs and to me they the cymbals don't sounds plastiky and sounds as they should.

But then again mine have 11 hours of burn in. So just burn them in maybe overnight and they should be fine.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #7,817 of 23,366
I don't know how I feel about you all who've been receiving them. I'm jealous but also kind of glad that some of the kinks are getting worked out. Doesn't really seem fair but I'm sure Kolton has your back.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #7,818 of 23,366
The drummer comment stood out for me too as contrary to what I am hearing.  Listened to some Rush and drums sound great to me.

Yeah that's why I wasn't sure if it was just me (as a personal preference/what I'm used to hearing), my headphones not being "burned-in", or my headphone itself. Right now I'm thinking it's just me, but after the 24-hour pink noise session I'll see if anything changed.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #7,819 of 23,366
I don't know how I feel about you all who've been receiving them. I'm jealous but also kind of glad that some of the kinks are getting worked out. Doesn't really seem fair but I'm sure Kolton has your back.

There aren't many reported problems with the units we have. Sure there have been some but that's bound to happen even in mass production.

They try their best to ensure the highest quality but sometimes things happen and these units that have minor issues slip by.

But like you said Val will help out the people that are experiencing issues.

Edit: Damn I'm tired (can't spell right now lol) better call it a night

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #7,820 of 23,366
My left wing plate was delivered loose also. I haven't tried screwing it back in, so I don't know if I have the same problem as you. I emailed V-MODA support and they said I can send it in to get it fixed, but they won't have parts for a couple months.

I've had similar happen to a pair of SHR750DJ. Where my plastic thread snapped off there was enough left to find a longer screw grabbing hold. I'd say Vmoda won't repair that section, they'll simply replace the entire wing. Considering you cannot get the part and will need to use that wing for two months I would find a slightly longer screw, drill through the outer plastic using that as thread. The wing is now rendered useless anyway.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #7,821 of 23,366
Quote:
My left wing plate was delivered loose also. I haven't tried screwing it back in, so I don't know if I have the same problem as you. I emailed V-MODA support and they said I can send it in to get it fixed, but they won't have parts for a couple months.

You could just glue it with a tiny dot of rubber cement so you can pry it back open when you actually can get it replaced?

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #7,822 of 23,366
Quote:
I was pretty surprised that you didn't get a note from Val in yours, did you not send him a email asking him what you wanted in the note?

From this earlier quote, might explain why some did not get there notes.

Quote:

Apologies for delays
(snip)...I also am going to be perfectly honest, I did not get to personally inspect each and every unit, only about 15-20%. But I had two LA techs inspect them and I wrote as many notes as those requested by Friday...(snip)

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #7,823 of 23,366
Quote:
There aren't many reported problems with the units we have. Sure there have been some but that's bound to happen even in mass production.
They try their best to ensure the highest quality but sometimes things happen and these units that have minor issues slip by.
But like you said Val will help out the people that are experiencing issues.
Edit: Damn I'm tired (can't spell right now lol) better call it a night

Exactly.  I am deeply saddened that ANY cosmetic issues would ever happen and it is the first time we've ever seen even this issue in the wild.  I PERSONALLY inspected so many products and listened to many of yours, I did not find a flaw ONCE and I am one picky mother f____.

QUALITY VS QUARTERLY EARNINGS?
This is the FIRST time I succumbed to pressure to release a product early from people as we are a FAMILY OWNED company and I normally don't care at all about profits/monthly/QUARTERLY earnings versus QUALITY earnings.  Remember, there are only 147 units in the wild so  this is a critical learning experience & we are paving a new organic pathway of how to release a product to the MASSES together.

On the flip side, 99% of the 147 consumer consortium has been thrilled by the sound and OVERALL quality and many aren't even posting about how happy they are.  

FYI - we retooled the "v" wing and re-implemented our cosmetic checks to run with our full engineering checks 

HEARD @ THE HEAD-FI CANJAM
many are saying M-100 is their favorite closed/semi-closed headphone.  I am SOOOOO thrilled!!!  I think we did it... my #1 current goal is almost accomplished.  Thanks everybody for your input and support.

-v^v 

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #7,824 of 23,366
It used to say the sound of science as we are truly a scientific/tech brand at heart.  But, I think I want to change it to "SOUND IS SHOCKING" after watching everybody's faces at RMAF CANJAM today....

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #7,825 of 23,366
Quote:
My unboxing (sort of) video!

2:25 - 2:38  "I don't know, I don't know Italian!" - I'm still not sure if you were being serious but 'VOILA' is a French term to call attention to, express satisfaction or approval, or to suggest an appearance as if by magic.  Pronounced 'vwa-la'.   Regardless of your intent, the muscular tissue in my face involuntarily managed to somehow formulate what most would consider to be a smile.  Thanks for the video.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #7,826 of 23,366
Ooh, I wonder if Jude is going to make a comment on the M-100's case. Jude said in the Momentum review that he liked the fact that he can put the headphones in the case without having to remove the cable.

I just tried putting the M-100 in the case with the cable still attached and it's able to be zipped up. That allows for a quick-n-easy storage solution. :)

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #7,827 of 23,366
VAL quick question. just to confirm the "VTF" that I and other head-fi members have will have the same sound as the MP models correct? I think i remember u saying that the sound was "locked" so this PP run is just to work out some possible minor construction/production issues, right?

btw I am very happy with my M-100 and it has no cosmetic blemishes or construction issues....and it sounds even better today than it did yesterday
smile_phones.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #7,828 of 23,366
Quote:
It used to say the sound of science as we are truly a scientific/tech brand at heart.  But, I think I want to change it to "SOUND IS SHOCKING" after watching everybody's faces at RMAF CANJAM today....

That's a crazy picture dude. BTW, who's the 1% of 147 distributed VTF-100 who doesn't like it? Let me have "kind word" with them!!

Still diggin' the M-100 sound. The more I listen, the more addicted I am to it. My wife is happy as it makes me more "up to date" with "her generation" :wink:.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #7,829 of 23,366
For now I just have two of the screw in my wing piece and I think I'll leave it like that until I can get a replacement. It's purely aesthetic and doesn't affect how the headphones fit together, but I'm glad the issue is pointed out and Val is looking into fixing it.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #7,830 of 23,366
Oh man, I am so indecisive...

So recently I posted that I've been thinking that I'll go with Shadow M-100s (after first thinking I would do white), and now I'm back to liking white more. I know, I know, good pictures of both have been available for some time, why can't I decide? Well yesterday and today I pulled my Shadow M-80s out for the first time in a while, and I realized that while I like Shadow from far away, up close in person there are a few things I don't like:
1) Glossy black cups
2) Glossy black wingplates
3) The color of the pseudo-suede headband: it's just this odd not-quite-black for me
4) The feel of the headband: that pseudo-suede just feels odd in my hands
5) The stitching: I like it from far away, but up close I can't help but notice that it isn't perfectly straight (and I can see on pics of M-100s that it's the same way)

I love the overall concept, and I think the gunmetal shields are the best looking of all the shields, but I think Shadow just doesn't do justice to the overall quality of the headphones. The things I listed cheapen the look and feel of my M-80s. White does away with the psuedo-suede headband and stitching, and from what I've seen it looks like it also does away with the glossy cups and wingplates. Based on pictures and from what I've read, the cups and wingplates of the white M-100s are satin rather than glossy. Can any white M-100 owners confirm?

Heck, I'm even considering Matte Black now too...just the ultimate for exuding quality because it completely lacks any shiny cheapness. Only thing with them is that I like having a noticeable "v-moda" on top of the headband, and it's barely noticeable on the matte black. Decisions, decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back