V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #4,276 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey I don't want to seem like a beggar or anything, but my budget is very tight for headphones. I've been following the M100 for about 4 months now contributing with posts and everything, but I read somewhere its going to be around $300. I was wondering if you could make the headphones around $250 or less for the head-fi subscribers to this thread, and then do what you got to do to make your $$$. Just an idea. Because I can't afford $300 headphones and will have to settle with the Audio Technica ATH-M50 :/

If val made them cheaper then he would have had to sacrifice in sound or design or durability..

And we don't want that.

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #4,277 of 23,366
Quote:
Also, I searched up "VTF" on the V-Moda website, and it appears that somebody's been searching for "VTF" and "VTF-100", as the two came up as Related Searches. Perhaps it might be a good idea to mask the PPU's under a different title.

Interesting bit of information...

Nice detective work by yourself and Dorphaus.  I guess a different approach is warranted.

Quote:

Hey I don't want to seem like a beggar or anything, but my budget is very tight for headphones. I've been following the M100 for about 4 months now contributing with posts and everything, but I read somewhere its going to be around $300. I was wondering if you could make the headphones around $250 or less for the head-fi subscribers to this thread, and then do what you got to do to make your $$$. Just an idea. Because I can't afford $300 headphones and will have to settle with the Audio Technica ATH-M50 :/

Considering demand, $300 seems like the ideal price for these.  Lowering it, while great for the consumer, is a tough sell all things considered.  If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Crossfade LP release for $250 and then drop to $200?  If you can wait it may be to your advantage.  Alternatively, do you have anything to list for sale?

EDIT: Applicable...

Quote:

Backstage Pass
It is interesting that you now know what I go through during development, trust me our whole team wants these as badly as you do. I used to tell my clients when I was a technology engineering consultant: "you can have it good, fast or cheap.  Pick two."

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #4,278 of 23,366
I was just about to place a order for the M-80's after doing a ton of research and I stumbled upon this thread. Since I prefer the Over ear headphones, it sounds like I should wait for the M-100's. I searched a few pages back and it seems that there will be a pre-sale for these, but I was wondering if anyone knows when they will be available to the public since I probably won't qualify for the head-fi presale. Thanks guys!

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #4,279 of 23,366
Quote:

Interesting bit of information...

Nice detective work by yourself and Dorphaus.  I guess a different approach is warranted.

Quite so, I don't think it needs to be anything fancy. Maybe whatever we settled on the name for the PPU's (although I don't really remember what that name was). Just doesn't need to say 100 in the title and I think it's all set.

Considering demand, $300 seems like the ideal price for these.  Lowering it, while great for the consumer, is a tough sell all things considered.  If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Crossfade LP release for $250 and then drop to $200?  If you can wait it may be to your advantage.  Alternatively, do you have anything to list for sale?

Hm yeah, I mean, the M80's are $230, and these are both a step up and a full size version of it. In addition, we're getting a very rare glimpse into the manufacturer's process and a very, very exquisite backstage pass from Val by getting these units at all along with a few other goodies such as free customs and a signature somewhere in the shipment. All in all it's very much something I'd say is worth more than the $310 he's asking us for.

If you can't afford these headphones, save up a bit and grab them when they're released to the public. $50 isn't that difficult to save up when you're willing to spend $250. Or at least that's my rationale when applying to a bunch of schools for medical school, hahaha

Edit: And to be precise, it was the LP customs that were originally marketed at $250 and lowered to $200, which basically gives you custom shields for free, and for $45 a custom engraving, it's a pretty good deal

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #4,280 of 23,366
Quote:

Also, any word on what that "surprise feature" on the matte black version of the M-100 is? Very curious.

I'm pretty sure the 'surprise feature' on the matte black will be 2 orange cables.  I think Val may have forgotten he already told us this.  Either way, that's the one I'm gettin'.  And I hope there are scuff marks, spit and game-worn battle-tested DNA patina all over it.  I want to feel the terror they endured as I hold them in my hands. Their screams of maniacal torture to rumble through my body and pulsate in my brain. Knowing in the end they are the survivors and confident to take whatever I throw at them.

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #4,281 of 23,366
Quote:

Edit: And to be precise, it was the LP customs that were originally marketed at $250 and lowered to $200, which basically gives you custom shields for free, and for $45 a custom engraving, it's a pretty good deal

Gotcha.  I thought the original LP run was also $250, but I guess I was wrong.  Thanks for correcting me.

Just thinking out loud, but with the recent Facebook picture it's now almost a certainty that matte black and white will be offered as PPUs.  I'm wondering if the Shadow finish will be an option as well.  The picture showing the original run of mattes had a Shadow-esque headband peeking in from the left, but it could very well be an M-80.  I prefer the matte, (especially if they have the hinted orange cable to add some "pop") but that microsuede headband sure is nifty...

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #4,283 of 23,366
Question, I've never seen an LP2 in-person, but how could the M-100 be a "matter-than-matte" black colour compared to the LP2? Was there a certain part of the LP2 that wasn't matte-black?

It looks pretty matte-black to me:

And "matter-than-matte" was a reference to the anime "Darker Than Black". XD

^Cosplay of the character 黑 (hei)

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #4,285 of 23,366
Couldn't wait any longer and just bought ATH-M50's as much as I wanted the M100. Plus, I don't think I would have liked to purchase the PPU, I rather have the official final product when everything is absolutely perfect and I don't feel like my headphones might have something wrong. I'll rack up some more cash and buy these high-expectation headphones in 1-2 years. Cheers and have fun with these everybody!

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #4,286 of 23,366
Quote:
Couldn't wait any longer and just bought ATH-M50's as much as I wanted the M100. Plus, I don't think I would have liked to purchase the PPU, I rather have the official final product when everything is absolutely perfect and I don't feel like my headphones might have something wrong. I'll rack up some more cash and buy these high-expectation headphones in 1-2 years. Cheers and have fun with these everybody!

I would had done the same.
Few months from now you could probably pick up the M100 for less than $200 on amazon.
I'm gonna get the Denon AH-D400 instead of waiting for the M100. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #4,287 of 23,366
Quote:
Just thinking out loud, but with the recent Facebook picture it's now almost a certainty that matte black and white will be offered as PPUs.  I'm wondering if the Shadow finish will be an option as well.  The picture showing the original run of mattes had a Shadow-esque headband peeking in from the left, but it could very well be an M-80.  I prefer the matte, (especially if they have the hinted orange cable to add some "pop") but that microsuede headband sure is nifty...

Nix that.  The Shadow in the pic I referenced has a hinge.  It's definitely NOT an M-80.

Quote:

Barring it being a prototype, I'd say we'll have our pick of matte black, white, and Shadow finishes for the PPU release.  And then there was that pic of the slick looking orange and white packaging and the Facebook poll about the "shocking" new color... who knows if those were hints at other options? (or a compliment to the orange cables)

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #4,288 of 23,366
So I have been looking for a new pair of headphones for a while now but kept holding off on my purchase waiting for something to suit my needs.
I had pretty much read everywhere the audio-technica m-50's are a great choice but was held back by the simple fact they didn't have an in-line mic / remote... (I listen to my iPhone a lot...)
Stumbled across the M-80's... Was literally about to buy them, decided to check whether a successor would be launching soon.... Here I am...

I have head a pretty solid lurk through this thread and from what I understand active members of the head-fi community are basically getting first dibs... How long will it take to reach the market after the first batch is distributed? Sorry If this has already been covered, but at 286 pages long this thread is serious business. 

Cheers in advance!

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #4,289 of 23,366
Quote:
So I have been looking for a new pair of headphones for a while now but kept holding off on my purchase waiting for something to suit my needs.
I had pretty much read everywhere the audio-technica m-50's are a great choice but was held back by the simple fact they didn't have an in-line mic / remote... (I listen to my iPhone a lot...)
Stumbled across the M-80's... Was literally about to buy them, decided to check whether a successor would be launching soon.... Here I am...

I have head a pretty solid lurk through this thread and from what I understand active members of the head-fi community are basically getting first dibs... How long will it take to reach the market after the first batch is distributed? Sorry If this has already been covered, but at 286 pages long this thread is serious business. 

Cheers in advance!

It is not known yet. I would guess it's within the next month/month and a half since the PPU's will be ready to order this week. However, Val has specifically stated that they are already behind in units for the demand (I will try to find the post), so it may be longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[size=small]The one issue now is every country is wanting stock as we'll be sold out before launch by a long long shot.  We are trying to make a fair situation on how many we allocate between USA and Japan as they want them all plus some.[/size]

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #4,290 of 23,366
Quote:
I would had done the same.
Few months from now you could probably pick up the M100 for less than $200 on amazon.
I'm gonna get the Denon AH-D400 instead of waiting for the M100. 

That depends on how great they sound like, it's all about how well they will fare against its competitors (or in some other companies ways of doing it, add some huge marketing, hope V-Moda never goes down that route though xD). If they have a sound that warrants the pricetag they won't drop much, maybe $50 at most. The original LPs were way overpriced for the sound they delivered and had to drop in price since V-Moda didn't have the recognition or resources to put into marketing then and sound quality wise they didn't quite compare to other offerings at their initial launch price and therefore didn't sell well enough. 

If you have a good sounding product, you don't even need any marketing as it will sell itself as people start preaching about it. This what happened to M80, it got glorious reviews and people started buying it and more and more positive feedback arose. M80 price hasn't dropped much what I can see either as it's very competitively priced for the sound it delivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back