V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 12, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #4,261 of 23,366
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how will V-MODA offer priority sales of the M-100 to us Head-fi'ers subscribed to this thread? Will V-MODA share us a secret pre-order code or link? Do we need to register anything for a pre-order ticket? I'm anticipating the M-100 as most of you are, but I don't want to miss the opportunity by accident.

I'll hammer out all the details and then have the team execute it!  It is complex, we've never done a product launch like this before so we are unsure of the proper "launch cadence".

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #4,263 of 23,366
I'll hammer out all the details and then have the team execute it!  It is complex, we've never done a product launch like this before so we are unsure of the proper "launch cadence".

I can't imagine any other headphone company launching this way, and I am intrigued. Most companies probably don't take the effort of serving their core fans like this. I think Val's tactic is is clever mix between on the one hand an open dialogue and building close relations with it's fans and on the other hand a visionairy Apple-esque innovators approach with beautiful technique that is reflected by standout design. As long as companies show true interest in their fans and try to go the extra mile like V-Moda, we should expect truly amazing products.

P.S. Val, would you take transparancy so far as tell where, by who and under what circumstances (social and enviromental) the V-100's are produced?

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #4,264 of 23,366
Quote:

Thank you for making a statement concerning launch handling.  Maybe now we can let some of the tension out of this thread and nix the speculation.  Relax everyone... Val and Co.'s on it!

Also, I've been doing a bit of thinking as to how prioritizing inventory to Head-Fiers benefits the V-MODA brand.  If one Googles "V-MODA M-100" they're flooded with hits linking to this site since this has been, for all intents and purposes, the de facto source for core product information.  It's assumed that this won't change once these are out in the wild and, as with so many headphones, typing in a common phrase seeking consensus like "M-100 review" will likewise lead one to Head-Fi.  Heck, it's predictably the first non-manufacturer/retailer hit when Googling "headphones."

What I'm getting at is our community has been extremely fortunate with the way we've been granted an all access pass during this 'phone's development.  Therefore, those of us who become early adopters have a responsibility to "give back" when these hit our heads.  It will be the duty of the privileged few to write reviews, share impressions, and answer questions.  Don't get me wrong, it's not in the best interest of anyone to peddle hype (both positive or negative) and fabricate fantastical feedback, but to rather get as much honest user comments out there as possible.  Even if these end up in the hands of someone who doesn't necessarily enjoy them, they may fit the performance criteria of numerous other potential buyers.  At any rate, those interested in purchasing a PPU should do so with the commitment that they will not disappear from M-100-related threads and be willing and well versed enough to contribute meaningful feedback for both the customer base as well as V-MODA.

With the M-100 release just days away and how soon these will be making their way into homes being indeterminate, perhaps now would be a good time to shift the discussion toward how we intend to continue post-relase.  I know this thread has "feedback" and "reviews" in the title, but it's gotten so bloated that I feel migration to a new thread would be advisable.  In addition, there's more exposure in the full-size headphones thread and I think few would consider these a dedicated portable can, so I would encourage a move over to that sub-forum.  It would also be preferable if the thread starter could maintain the first post with links to individual reviews and otherwise useful information that gets posted within the thread.  Thoughts?

Quote:

P.S. Val, would you take transparancy so far as tell where, by who and under what circumstances (social and enviromental) the V-100's are produced?

This is a fantastic question.

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #4,265 of 23,366
Curly you make many, many excellent points! I especially agree with the fact that we should all contribute our feedback and put as much effort into our reviews as Val has with giving us complete, unparalleled access to the development of these headphones. I also strongly agree there should be another thread (full size forum does get more traffic at least when it comes to people looking for headphones and not IEMs, IMO) once we start getting our hands on the M-100s.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #4,266 of 23,366
Quote:
I know this thread has "feedback" and "reviews" in the title, but it's gotten so bloated that I feel migration to a new thread would be advisable.  In addition, there's more exposure in the full-size headphones thread and I think few would consider these a dedicated portable can, so I would encourage a move over to that sub-forum.  It would also be preferable if the thread starter could maintain the first post with links to individual reviews and otherwise useful information that gets posted within the thread.  Thoughts?

I agree - it would be nice if this thread would turn into the pre-release history and a new one opens up for M-100 owner reviews and information.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #4,267 of 23,366
It would be nice if once the M-100s are out for them to be sold and able to be tried on at a retailer like best buy or the Apple Store or something along with the M80s. I'd want to try out the headphone before buying it. :)

Also maybe as an accessory that can come with it is a Wireless adapter maybe???? Doesn't have to come with it but can be purchased separately.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #4,268 of 23,366
Quote:
It would be nice if once the M-100s are out for them to be sold and able to be tried on at a retailer like best buy or the Apple Store or something along with the M80s. I'd want to try out the headphone before buying it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also maybe as an accessory that can come with it is a Wireless adapter maybe???? Doesn't have to come with it but can be purchased separately.

I've heard pop-up stores are all the rage these days. A pop-up V-Moda store in Covent Garden, London, would go down really well.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #4,269 of 23,366
Quote:
It would be nice if once the M-100s are out for them to be sold and able to be tried on at a retailer like best buy or the Apple Store or something along with the M80s. I'd want to try out the headphone before buying it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Or you could take advantage of their 60 day satisfaction guarantee.  Val encourages people on the fence to go ahead and buy them and try it out.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #4,270 of 23,366
Quote:
Curly you make many, many excellent points! I especially agree with the fact that we should all contribute our feedback and put as much effort into our reviews as Val has with giving us complete, unparalleled access to the development of these headphones. I also strongly agree there should be another thread (full size forum does get more traffic at least when it comes to people looking for headphones and not IEMs, IMO) once we start getting our hands on the M-100s.

I agree. My 2 reviews so far (can be found in my signature) have been pretty lengthy, in my honest opinion. Many of the reviews I read for headphones are usually just a few paragraphs long, if even that, and usually don't contain any photos. With each product review I do, I am planning to do a couple more for the Fiio E7 and Sansa Clip Zip, I try my hardest to critique each aspect of the product to bring out all of my complete thoughts of the product.

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #4,272 of 23,366
Glad to see others are getting on board with documenting our experiences with these.  In addition to assessing these on their own merits, I'm sure we all have varied headphone ownership histories and should consider weighing other cans against the M-100 to give as many points of reference as possible.  Personally, I'm planning to put these up against my AKG K550 and my recently owned PSB M4U 2. (which I preferred in passive mode)  Since PSB plans to release an all-passive M4U 1 for $300, both the K550 and M-100 are at a competing price point, all three are closed-back circumaurals, and they'll all have been released this year I feel that this may be a compelling writeup.  The AKG and PSB are both vastly different headphones and I anticipate the M-100 to display quite a bit of contrast as well.  Of course, this all hinges on when I'd be able able to snag the V-MODA, but color me excited!

Has anyone heard the new Denons yet?  I have zero intention to purchase any of them, but have been keeping up with the impressions posted by the early adopters.  Both the D400 and D600 could prove interesting comparisons to the M-100.

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

I have no idea if Val plans to get into bed with Best Buy, but with their increased focus on personal audio this year I would love to see V-MODA on their shelves.  They're flashy enough to grab the attention of the casual Beats purchaser but would no doubt sound better to, well... just about everyone! (I haven't heard the V-MODAs, but have been wholly unimpressed by the entire Beats lineup save for comparing them directly to each other)  Does anyone know if they've started carrying headphone amps in-store?  Their focus on the mobile phone sector may make the VAMP an enticing proposition!

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #4,273 of 23,366
Back In January, I was in need of a new set of headphones, so it seems classic now to have a duel between the Beyer DT1350, the Senn HD-25-i, and the V-Moda M80's at this point. The M80's were stylish, sleek, and I was always blown away by my friend demoing the bendability of the headphones to a 180 degree flatness. The one fatal flaw to selling them to me was that my noggin is gigantic, so the M80's were *this* close from fitting me, but *just* couldn't cover my ears. So I ended up with the DT1350's, which are a fabulous portable can, but I would like something circumaural with a larger sound stage. My friend who let me try them out said a larger sized version of the M80's would be out soon, so since then I've been on this thread and checking out the progress. You can bet I'll be posting impressions and stuff about this headphone once it's in my hands! I'll probably even loan it out to some friends to see what they think about it and accumulate some impressions on that side, too.

Also, I searched up "VTF" on the V-Moda website, and it appears that somebody's been searching for "VTF" and "VTF-100", as the two came up as Related Searches. Perhaps it might be a good idea to mask the PPU's under a different title.

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #4,274 of 23,366
Quote:

Also, I searched up "VTF" on the V-Moda website, and it appears that somebody's been searching for "VTF" and "VTF-100", as the two came up as Related Searches. Perhaps it might be a good idea to mask the PPU's under a different title.

Agreed, I did the same thing earlier and had the same search terms under related searches.

Also, any word on what that "surprise feature" on the matte black version of the M-100 is? Very curious.

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #4,275 of 23,366
Hey I don't want to seem like a beggar or anything, but my budget is very tight for headphones. I've been following the M100 for about 4 months now contributing with posts and everything, but I read somewhere its going to be around $300. I was wondering if you could make the headphones around $250 or less for the head-fi subscribers to this thread, and then do what you got to do to make your $$$. Just an idea. Because I can't afford $300 headphones and will have to settle with the Audio Technica ATH-M50 :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back