V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #4,246 of 23,366
Can't wait for these. My back to school shopping starts with these then the other stuff. So many beats in my hs so need to get more vmoda followers these are the ones. I got all of my cousins to jump on the m80 bandwagon. Thanks a lot val for the continuous headfi support. For its price/performance/style ratio they were unparalleled and I hope I can hope for the best with the m100's. Now there are rumors about the revolver headphones and I feel as if they are possibly meant to compete with the high end >$500 headphones that would be a nice evolution for vmoda.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #4,247 of 23,366
Quote:
Is anyone planning on getting a PPU unit and a final product? I am not part of this PPU crave as I am concerned they will not perform as well as the official product. I know each PPU will sound different from one to the next, but I am curious as to how much different one sounds from a official M100.

And this is where you're pretty much wrong. Val has made a HUGE, and very VALiant effort to make sure the PPU's have very little sound differences between units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In fact, we test the FR curves at 6 points to be lower than <2dB variance.  For the first 100 units, we yielded about 50%, yet the units that didn't pass were SOOOO close you'd almost say "ok you made it" considering that some brands are up to 20dB variances.  But, thats not how we roll and a rule is a rule on our variance tolerances.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #4,248 of 23,366
Quote:
Is anyone planning on getting a PPU unit and a final product? I am not part of this PPU crave as I am concerned they will not perform as well as the official product. I know each PPU will sound different from one to the next, but I am curious as to how much different one sounds from a official M100.

The PPU will sound like the final product.  It will use all the components of the final product.  However, it may have bugs in it that weren't found during testing.  These aren't related to sound, but rather normally linked to build quality.  These may or may not be there, if they are there (and found), they are fixed before the final production models are made.  PPU models are used (by V-Moda as well as other companies) for press purposes.  They are made to sound like the production models and have the same build (granted there are no bugs in it that weren't found during testing).

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #4,249 of 23,366
Quote:

And this is where you're pretty much wrong. Val has made a HUGE, and very VALiant effort to make sure the PPU's have very little sound differences between units.

Yes, I have all the response curves on one chart for M-100s and they are virtually identical and ~50% from the first 100 passed all 6 sound tests. I am thrilled about this yield on the first 100. We'll rework the other 50 and then the next 500 should be about 85-90% yield I believe.

SOUND + QUALITY IS #1!

Backstage Pass
It is interesting that you now know what I go through during development, trust me our whole team wants these as badly as you do. I used to tell my clients when I was a technology engineering consultant: "you can have it good, fast or cheap.  Pick two."

Stand By Me
Did you see my Facebook post on V-MODA?  Is M-100 is the only headphone in the world that can stand on its own???  

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #4,250 of 23,366
Quote:
Stand By Me
Did you see my Facebook post on V-MODA?  Is M-100 is the only headphone in the world that can stand on its own???  

I noticed that on Facebook... had a chuckle when I realized that nothing was propping it up.  By design then, I assume?  I can't think of another that can.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #4,251 of 23,366
Quote:

Yes, I have all the response curves on one chart for M-100s and they are virtually identical and ~50% from the first 100 passed all 6 sound tests. I am thrilled about this yield on the first 100. We'll rework the other 50 and then the next 500 should be about 85-90% yield I believe.

Out of curiosity, do you do a similar testing process for your other headphones/earphones as well?

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #4,252 of 23,366
So it seems we are on the final days for some M100s to be sold!! Nice. Can't wait to start reading impressions!

Quote:

Out of curiosity, do you do a similar testing process for your other headphones/earphones as well?

I think this has always been their method of headphone testing... could be mistaken though.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #4,253 of 23,366
Oh, crap.

I think I'm going to pass on the PPUs.

This is my first headphone purchase, and things are coming together in way for me, that....rushing doesn't really do anything for me now, since I'm not listening to music lately. I plan to listen, though, in the future.

Checking out the reviews at this forum afterwards, will be interesting.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #4,254 of 23,366
Quote:
Can't wait for these. My back to school shopping starts with these then the other stuff. So many beats in my hs so need to get more vmoda followers these are the ones. I got all of my cousins to jump on the m80 bandwagon. Thanks a lot val for the continuous headfi support. For its price/performance/style ratio they were unparalleled and I hope I can hope for the best with the m100's. Now there are rumors about the revolver headphones and I feel as if they are possibly meant to compete with the high end >$500 headphones that would be a nice evolution for vmoda.

Speaking of the Revolver once we all get our M100's shall we then start a V-Moda Revolver thread and all pile onto it and relive the fun times we all had on this thread?
deadhorse.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #4,255 of 23,366
Quote:
So it seems we are on the final days for some M100s to be sold!! Nice. Can't wait to start reading impressions!

I think this has always been their method of headphone testing... could be mistaken though.

Yes, but we periodically enhance our VMQA (V-MODA Quality Assurance) plans and add new lab tests per model.  Including how sound changes based on headband and fittings/cushions, which does not show up much on FR curves.

hence the slogan I coined, "the fit is the sound", or my new one "it's in the ear of the beholder".

Just got back to hotel from Hong Kong Hi-Fi show, it was HUGE.  Quite amazing, I'll post some pics of the show and our booth later. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #4,257 of 23,366
Quote:
Ouch, and as for the people who haven't posted but also been anticipating these from pretty much the beginning who also had to wade through pages and pages of stupid arguments? Just because some people have posted a dozen times each day about anything that comes to mind doesn't mean they're wanting it more.

I have a pair of M80's but they can sometimes be hard to get a good fit as I have really small ears so I'm certainly looking forward to the M100's when I can afford them. 

I've been following this thread for quite some time, but never got around to registering, and... I really don't have a problem with this being a deciding factor. I'll be happy to get a PPU if there's enough available, and if not, well, I'll try for a launch product, and if not that... I'm sure they'll be available eventually.

Curious to see the HK booth shots!

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #4,260 of 23,366
Just out of curiosity, how will V-MODA offer priority sales of the M-100 to us Head-fi'ers subscribed to this thread? Will V-MODA share us a secret pre-order code or link? Do we need to register anything for a pre-order ticket? I'm anticipating the M-100 as most of you are, but I don't want to miss the opportunity by accident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back