V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #4,306 of 23,366
Quote:
I've actually been wondering for a long time if any parts of the LP2 are recycled for the M-100. They are almost visually identical. 

The M-80s were obviously entirely new headphones. Yes, they kept the same overall design as the LPs, but they didn't share actual parts with the LPs because everything was scaled down in size. Therefore the headband was new (both the outer suede-like material and the steelflex headband, which though it operates on the same principle as the LPs can't be the actual same part because of the size differences), the plastic bits at the ends of the headband had to be new, the yokes had to be new, the earcups, earpads, cable entry, etc. all had to be new.

With the M-100s, you could take an LP2, replace the yokes with hinged yokes, replace the non-cable entry earcup with one that has an entry point, and change the color scheme and come out with something that visually looks just like M-100s. 

I would appreciate it if Val could chime in and let us know if parts from the LPs/LP2s have been recycled for the M-100s, and if so, how many. I'm not talking about design, because obviously the overall design is the same, I'm talking about actual individual parts. I wouldn't hold it against them if a few minor parts are recycled, as companies do that all the time, but I would really appreciate it if Val could be honest about what is shared with the LPs/LP2s. "The plastic bits at the ends of the headband have been reused because we found that they worked perfectly for the LPs/LP2s, but the steelflex headband (though similar to the LPs/LP2s) is actually tweaked to reflect the additional research we have done since the LPs/LP2s came out and user feedback on those, the earcups are also similar but the parts come from a different mold with slightly altered dimensions that we found more aesthetically pleasing..." stuff like that is what I'm looking for.

The LP2s (as far as I know) were physically the exact same as the LPs, aside from the color scheme and accessories. Basically LPs with revised SQ. We know the M-100s are supposed to differ in SQ from the LPs even more than the LP2s did, but are we again talking about the same physical build (aside from color scheme, hinges, and 2nd cable entry)?

You bring up a good point. I'm starting to consider getting a "matter-than-matte" black M-100 just because it's a "different colour" from the LP/LP2's. I can see it happening that people think I'm wearing an LP/LP2 just because it's so similar in design.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #4,307 of 23,366
Quote:

You bring up a good point. I'm starting to consider getting a "matter-than-matte" black M-100 just because it's a "different colour" from the LP/LP2's. I can see it happening that people think I'm wearing an LP/LP2 just because it's so similar in design.

Honestly, they have a good thing going with the LP's; it wouldnt phase me one bit if they kept everything the same and simply improved the SS.
Although I do wonder if Val has considered selling the hinge bit for people owning the predecessors of the M100's; I know someone with an LP2 who would love this ^_^

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #4,309 of 23,366
Quote:

Assuming "SS" means SQ I agree completely.

wups. yea.. long day
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #4,311 of 23,366
↑Looks like LP/LP2 headband width to me

I just had a thought.. I have long curly hair; that hinge bit looks like it'll cause me a bit of greif. Will the spring be covered with a grommet/cylinder?

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #4,312 of 23,366
Quote:
Honestly, they have a good thing going with the LP's; it wouldnt phase me one bit if they kept everything the same and simply improved the S[Q].
Although I do wonder if Val has considered selling the hinge bit for people owning the predecessors of the M100's; I know someone with an LP2 who would love this ^_^

Yup I totally agree with you. I really like the outward appearance of the LP/LP2/M-100 to be honest. It has a very unique design that stands out on its own. I can't think of any other headphone that can compare in design (design as in outward appearance, durability, and choice of materials). Pretty much every other popular/mainstream headphone design out there is made of, or mostly made of plastic.

I, for one, will be buying an M-100 specifically because of this unique design (while offering M-80-like sound quality) since I tend to break my headphones.....

V-MODA Vibe in-ear earphone (generation 2 I believe) - The cable became disjointed/faulty at the straight jack's very little strain relief. Yes, this was before the Vibe had the 45˚ jack, and this particular colour had the plastic-coated cable (as opposed to the fabric ones).

Apple Earbuds - Well, everyone knows about these. XD

Skullcandy Hesh - The headband broke where the arms adjust. I think the headband itself was a really small headband and my head is wider than normal.

Sennheiser HD238 - While listening to bassy music at home one day, at normal listening levels, the left driver just blew out (how does that even happen?).

Shure SRH940 - The same exact thing happened as the Skullcandy Hesh, and it is a known issue (seriously now? I expected Shure to have better build quality than that...).

Now why didn't I enter the V-MODA "recycle your headphones" contest...... D:

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #4,313 of 23,366
Quote:

ODA Vibe in-ear earphone (generation 2 I believe) - The cable became disjointed/faulty at the straight jack's very little strain relief. Yes, this was before the Vibe had the 45˚ jack, and this particular colour had the plastic-coated cable (as opposed to the fabric ones).

Apple Earbuds - Well, everyone knows about these. XD

Skullcandy Hesh - The headband broke where the arms adjust. I think the headband itself was a really small headband and my head is wider than normal.

Sennheiser HD238 - While listening to bassy music at home one day, at normal listening levels, the left driver just blew out (how does that even happen?).

Shure SRH940 - The same exact thing happened as the Skullcandy Hesh, and it is a known issue (seriously now? I expected Shure to have better build quality than that...).

Now why didn't I enter the V-MODA "recycle your headphones" contest...... D:

coff coff. http://youtu.be/3QQXf_qFTXc#t=30s

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #4,315 of 23,366
Quote:

I just had a thought. I have long curly hair; that hinge bit looks like it'll cause me a bit of greif. Will the spring be covered with a grommet/cylinder?

While I dont have a pubed out head of lettuce I can see your concern with that gnarly hinge.  Val has long stringy 'Anthony Kiedis-type' hair and hasn't mentioned any hair grabbing issues.  But, If push comes to shove, I'll just get a mullet. I'd still like to know if that hinge can open a beer bottle. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #4,317 of 23,366
And now that pre-orders do have a tentative date of today or tomorrow, I think it is a good time to disclose a bit more info on them.  Or at least a better breakdown of the color schemes available. Has the secret password been confirmed yet?

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #4,318 of 23,366
Quote:
And now that pre-orders do have a tentative date of today or tomorrow, I think it is a good time to disclose a bit more info on them.  Or at least a better breakdown of the color schemes available. Has the secret password been confirmed yet?

How do you get the secret password to preorder the headphones? you have to be subscribed to this thread or what? Or am I too late?

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #4,319 of 23,366
Quote:

So, what is the safest way to grab the headphones when pulling them out of the head, etc, when some actual force is applied (whether minimal or a lot it doesn't matter), because some parts of the headphone are actually plastic, though. I want to be as careful as possible.

Quote:

Stand By Me
Did you see my Facebook post on V-MODA?  Is M-100 is the only headphone in the world that can stand on its own???  

I've never owned a headphone with detachable cords, but, would this really be useful? because I wouldn't want to detach the cable every time I would want to take a 5, 10, 15 minute break, or so. Too much detaching/attaching.  That can't be good.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #4,320 of 23,366
Quote:

I've never owned a headphone with detachable cords, but, would this really be useful? because I wouldn't want to detach the cable every time I would want to take a 5, 10, 15 minute break, or so. Too much detaching/attaching.  That can't be good.

You worry too much, you probably wouldn't be able to break them if you tried. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back