V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 14, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #4,321 of 23,366
Quote:

I've never owned a headphone with detachable cords, but, would this really be useful? because I wouldn't want to detach the cable every time I would want to take a 5, 10, 15 minute break, or so. Too much detaching/attaching.  That can't be good.

Cables are normally the first part of the headphone to go bad...  So having them replaceable is a plus.  Also you also have choice of what kind of cable you use (upgrades).  

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #4,322 of 23,366
Quote:

Cables are normally the first part of the headphone to go bad...  So having them replaceable is a plus.  Also you also have choice of what kind of cable you use (upgrades).  

No, I'm not complaining about the detachable cables. I'm taking about the standing feature, that it wouldn't be a good idea to use it for a stand feature every time one takes them off, I think.

Not that that was Val's intention...

Yeah, DaBomb77766, I worry a lot :) I guess I shouldn't grab it by the metal yoke because it's screwed to the cups on plastic... Idk... I didn't design them.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #4,323 of 23,366
Quote:
So, what is the safest way to grab the headphones when pulling them out of the head, etc, when some actual force is applied (whether minimal or a lot it doesn't matter), because some parts of the headphone are actually plastic, though. I want to be as careful as possible.

If we were talking about Stax headphones, this would be a good approach, but Val is the kind of guy who wants the headphones back if you break them, because he wants to figure out how you managed to actually do so. I think you'd just about have to run over them before they'd break and even then it would probably only deform them.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #4,324 of 23,366
Quote:
No, I'm not complaining about the detachable cables. I'm taking about the standing feature, that it wouldn't be a good idea to use it for a stand feature every time one takes them off, I think.

Yeah, DaBomb77766, I worry a lot :) I guess I shouldn't grab it by the metal yoke because it's screwed to the cups on plastic... Idk... I didn't design them.

Ah gotcha...  

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #4,325 of 23,366
Quote:

If we were talking about Stax headphones, this would be a good approach, but Val is the kind of guy who wants the headphones back if you break them, because he wants to figure out how you managed to actually do so. I think you'd just about have to run over them before they'd break and even then it would probably only deform them.

Haha! you make a good point. I would probably just contact Val, telling that it broke just by taking them off, etc. He would just take them off my hands :)

Edit: Do you guys remember Val's post about that the inner headband is now the material of the hanger?

Well, on the facebook photo it still has the same. Wonder if that picture was done earlier than Val's post. 

Anyways, maybe Val should give a headphone with the new inner headband to Eric Morillo to see if he has any complains? Not that I don't have hair...but sometimes I cut it all off.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #4,327 of 23,366
Quote:
How do you take headphones off your head?  Seriously??

Well it's a perfectly valid question. Look what happened to my headphones when I take headphones off my head. They're well-known problems for those headphones too:

^cracks on the headband adjuster due to the stretching of the headband when put on/off the head from the earcups

^look, more cracks on the headband adjuster due to the stretching of the headband when put on/off the head from the earcups

Poorly designed/structured headphones will be poorly designed/structured.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #4,329 of 23,366
Quote:

The join between the cup and the yoke is actually very sturdy.  It was even designed with this "eject" feature where the cups will pop out if enough force is put on them.  That is one part you don't have to worry about breaking during normal use.
Quote:

I do remember a story somewhere in the M-80 thread where someone did just that, and they worked fine after bending them back into shape. :p

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #4,330 of 23,366
Quote:
The join between the cup and the yoke is actually very sturdy.  It was even designed with this "eject" feature where the cups will pop out if enough force is put on them.  That is one part you don't have to worry about breaking during normal use.
I do remember a story somewhere in the M-80 thread where someone did just that, and they worked fine after bending them back into shape. :p

*Tries to start up his 18-wheeler* ... *Doesn't have one* ... *Goes to rent an 18-wheeler* ... *Starts up the 18-wheeler* -- Hey!  Put them headphones down! let's put some wheels over it...  

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #4,331 of 23,366
Quote:

I read a testimonial on Amazon.com about this, and it sounds like what's been happening with my headphones more or less:

Quote:
There is a plastic bracket/casing, where the head band connects to the adjustable arms, which encases the ratchet mechanism and the ear piece wires that, even after the mild use these headphones get, has simply come apart. It appears that the set screws inside, or their anchor points, have broken. This has caused loosening of the adjustable arm and lateral movement that results in an audible, and rather loud, "clicking" in the left ear cup when listening to the headphones.

It doesn't seem like a common problem though.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #4,333 of 23,366
Quote:

Thanks for trying to put my mind at ease. :)

Yeah, I guess the normal way to grab them is by the cups and cushions...Then it comes to mind the glossy of the Shadow and fingerprints. Not that I don't like glossy, it's always nice to a glossy option.

@largemouth bass: I've never owned an over ear headphone! lol.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #4,334 of 23,366
Quote:
How do I get to preorder these headphones? Please someone answer me

You pretend your name is Dorthy and tap your heels together while chanting there's no headphone like V-Moda over and over again
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #4,335 of 23,366
Quote:
So, what is the safest way to grab the headphones when pulling them out of the head, etc, when some actual force is applied (whether minimal or a lot it doesn't matter), because some parts of the headphone are actually plastic, though. I want to be as careful as possible.

I always grab mine by the forks; makes the most sense to me. Really, the only thing I would worry about is the stitching work on the headphones(if you plan to keep them immaculate). The only plastic parts that seem remotely prone to breaking are the locking tabs on the headband; and even those are easily replaceable. Now that I own a pair, I can honestly say that the pictures do not do these headphones justice. The plastic on the cups are very high quality, and feels a bit sturdier than the plastic on my HD650's. Durability is the least of my worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back