V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 1, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #2,701 of 23,366
Val is the ultimate hype machine, and I mean that in a good way.  I'm not even in the market for an M-100 but I'm still following this thread closely because it's so entertaining.  I'm highly interested to hear what the M-100 sounds like and see some size comparison pictures with the M-80.
In some pics the M-100 looks huge and others it looks modestly sized.  Same with the M-80 but when I saw the M-80 in person I was shocked at how small it was compared to how it looked in pictures. 

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #2,703 of 23,366
Quote:
M-100 DEBUT W/ITALIAN PRODUCER EDX
So, EDX and I used the first M-100 for the first time last night at a club named Vessel.  Remind me to tell you the full story later, but it is history repeating itself as we happened to be staying at the same hotel on the SAME FLOOR AS CROSSFADE LPS DEBUT 2.5 YRS AGO W ANOTHER DJ (GUESS WHO).  The story gets MUCH stranger, so grab some popcorn. It was an amazing night to remember and we got lots of cool video and feedback on M-100's sound live.        

To be continued...

I certainly hope the M-100 didn't get stolen, like the original LP did.  Or let me guess, you found out what happened to the original LP headphone (and the person that had them gave them back, and simply hadn't seen you since the LP debut)?

Jul 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #2,706 of 23,366
Jul 1, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2,707 of 23,366
Quote:
  At this point, most of the top DJs in the world use V-MODA unless they are paid off or are creatures of habit and prefer coiled cables or MDR-V700-like swivels. 

Over the years of djing Ive owned plenty of cans, most of them only last around a year. From HD-25's, Technics to Sony MDR-V700 the main point of failure were the plastic headband adjuster breaking and also the swivels part of the earcups would often over-extend and then fail and not swivel properly. I do prefer mixing with the headband around the back of my neck but to do this swivels are needed to get the correct angle if the earcups are resting against your shoulder.
Im sure when the revolvers have finally been stressed tested they will become even more popular and set the new benchmark in Dj headphones that will be almost be unbreakable. 

Like I said previously The 2011 world rankings top 10 DJ (DJ Mag) half of them use of V-MODA headphones

3: Tiesto
4: Deadmau5
6: Avicii
7: Afrojack
10: Swedich House Mafia

Not to mention Roger Sanchez, Erick Morillo and Mr Val Kolton

Considering most of the Big DJ's are sponsored, is an awesome testament that V-Modas are setting the new standard in DJ headphones and these guys are opting for Vmodas due to their sound quality, durability and customisation. Big ups again for 4 million sales, Im sure when the M100's are released that will increase rapidly ....with a lot of help from the Head-Fi community.

Jul 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #2,708 of 23,366
Quote:
From HD-25's, Technics to Sony MDR-V700 the main point of failure were the plastic headband adjuster breaking

I've wondered why these were not made of metal (on any headphones that I have seen)... It's such a stress point, it seems like a no brainer to make them out of something other than relatively brittle and thin plastic.  I've honestly seen this be much more of a problem than hinges on folding headphones.

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #2,709 of 23,366
The first one is the best!

Thanks, I modified that one and the second to work better together. I'm hoping to use both together, one on each shield.

how did you get the templates to put the pictures on?
Click here to get the psd link: https://v-moda.com/content/template_files/over-ear-shield-blank-template_photoshop.psd

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #2,710 of 23,366
VIPER is perfect, well done.

AnakChan saw a few of the surprises....  Sorry, we have to keep some things secret.  Although it's been fun to finally preview our works in progress this go around.

Sweet glad you liked one, I just kind of brainstormed for a minute. LOL at the reaction to the no slack jack, that one was kind of a joke anyway... And an attempt to ignore my first thought.

I certainly hope the M-100 didn't get stolen, like the original LP did.  Or let me guess, you found out what happened to the original LP headphone (and the person that had them gave them back, and simply hadn't seen you since the LP debut)?

Lol thought the same thing!

Jul 2, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #2,711 of 23,366
Quote:

I've wondered why these were not made of metal (on any headphones that I have seen)... It's such a stress point, it seems like a no brainer to make them out of something other than relatively brittle and thin plastic.  I've honestly seen this be much more of a problem than hinges on folding headphones.

I believe a lot of companies don't bother as heavily with research & development. Val has mentioned in previous post that he spent many years getting the design, sound and durability right. I recall the revolvers have been in development for 8 years or so, obviously due to Val being a perfectionist and his attention to detail. Italians pride them selves in quality & styling this is also shown with their cars, fashion, furniture etc. I believe the same philosophy are imprinted in what is Vmoda. 

Companies have different objectives some will purposely design a product to fail just after the warranty so the consumer is lead to repurchase  or upgrade. I dont know of any other headphone company that allow you to upgrade at 50% off a new pair. I guess thats the reason there's so much hype with the M100's and the added consumer input he factors in.

Compared to the many cans Ive used in the past when Im cueing up my next track on a DJM800 I can set the headphone level a lot lower because the quality is a lot better which will also save my hearing being at safer frequencies. Another thing Ive noticed, human ears are predominately oval hence why the long hexagonal shape of the earcups are contoured to suit our ears. These are just a few things that I have found that set the Vmodas apart from the rest.

Jul 2, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #2,712 of 23,366
Quote:

I believe a lot of companies don't bother as heavily with research & development. Val has mentioned in previous post that he spent many years getting the design, sound and durability right. I recall the revolvers have been in development for 8 years or so, obviously due to Val being a perfectionist and his attention to detail. Italians pride them selves in quality & styling this is also shown with their cars, fashion, furniture etc. I believe the same philosophy are imprinted in what is Vmoda. 

Companies have different objectives some will purposely design a product to fail just after the warranty so the consumer is lead to repurchase  or upgrade. I dont know of any other headphone company that allow you to upgrade at 50% off a new pair. I guess thats the reason there's so much hype with the M100's and the added consumer input he factors in.

Compared to the many cans Ive used in the past when Im cueing up my next track on a DJM800 I can set the headphone level a lot lower because the quality is a lot better which will also save my hearing being at safer frequencies. Another thing Ive noticed, human ears are predominately oval hence why the long hexagonal shape of the earcups are contoured to suit our ears. These are just a few things that I have found that set the Vmodas apart from the rest.

Are you sure you can just "upgrade" at 50% off a new pair? Isn't that offer normally after your 2 year warranty expires and stuff like that? Or if you do break you headphones beyond repair...

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #2,713 of 23,366
Quote:
Are you sure you can just "upgrade" at 50% off a new pair? Isn't that offer normally after your 2 year warranty expires and stuff like that? Or if you do break you headphones beyond repair...

[size=1.6em] Below is sourced from the Vmoda warranty page, I believe the offer is covered under the Immortal life program. I guess if there in the warranty period you'd probably just get them repaired, however if their fubar, the Immortal life program should have you covered...[/size]

[size=1.6em] Val can you please confirm this?[/size]

[size=1.6em] warranty[/size]

When you buy directly from us or any of our Verified Dealers, your V-MODA product is backed by our unrivaled V-MODA Premier Warranty. Under warranty, your V-MODA product is eligible for repair or replacement should it not function. V-MODA's Premier Warranty does not include cosmetic damage, misuse, accidents, modification or improper connections. Also, please do not buy from a non-verified distributor or source, as it may be a Fugazi (fake).  

Starting on the date of purchase, the warranty peroid is as follows:

Time Products
1 Year Bass Fréq, Faze, Octave, VJ2, Vibe, Spin, Crossfade LP, Remix (1st Gen)
2 Years Vibe Duo, Vibe 2, Remix Audio, Remix Remote, REVAMP, Maker, Vibrato Nero, V-80, Crossfade LP2, Crossfade M-80 Shadow
If you are covered under Warranty and would like to return your product start here

[size=1.1em] Immortal Life Program

If you aren't covered under the Premier Warranty, we've got you covered with our Immortal Life Program. All you have to do is drop us a line at support[at]v-moda[dot]com or give us a call at 1.888.VMODA.LA (M-F 9am - 5pm PST) and tell us your story. We'll give you 50% off towards a new product.

[/size]

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #2,714 of 23,366
Sorry, been a little out of action recently reviewing different products.

So, @Alpha101, I think it's a little harsh to say manufacturers "don't bother as heavily with R&D" as I'm sure they do but their methodologies may be somewhat different. And in that  respect they are changing too. In May, the head-fiers who came to Tokyo were invited by a large and established corporation to visit their studio to talk to them about our perspective of headphones and given a little more insight on how they operated. It's a welcoming change to their methodology.

@BRSxIgnition, so actually I visited the stores last Tuesday after the M-100 demo the night before and did try the LP2 again. Although the M-100 had what I perceived to be better isolation, I have to take into account the demo LP2 had been on the shelf for some time and therefore may have flexed quite a bit over the months. So I can't really say I'm comparing apples to apples about the LP2 vs M-100 isolation. I guess you can say the same about the ATH-M50's but I don't know if the M50's would "lose their flex" over time.

@largemouth bass, yes I did retract my post with photos about the headband. I'll give the reason after Val has fully announced about the M-100's, whenever that may be. And no, I didn't get a lashing from Val :wink:. All I can say, is as much fun as I can have seeing all the speculation going on, "don't think too much about it".

@Val, nothing was and still hasn't been revealed. Whatever was said/shown at the izakaya restaurant, has stayed in the izakaya restaurant :wink:.

Meanwhile, here's another teaser, a closer look at the hinge. The internal product code label was Photoshopped (for obvious reasons) but that's the only thing that was digitally removed/modified.

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #2,715 of 23,366
Hmm, can you comment more on the clamping, I remember when comparing LP2 to having used M-Audio Q40 for a while which has a tight clamp it felt almost as the LP2s would fall of my head haha. The M-Audio Q40 sits very securely on the head which I like, most people don't like a tight clamp but in case it doesn't cause discomfort which it doesn't in my case I actually like it. But I guess the headband is still very flexible as the earlier models so it could be made tighter if need be. 

Also do you ears fit inside? Mine didn't unfortunately fit fully inside on LP2 but I think I could probably stretch them a bit with a suitable oval shape sized thing over-night to make them less pointy and more round in the inner-circumference as my ears have very round shape at the upper-edge which doesn't work well with the V-Moda pad's shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back