V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 22, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #21,916 of 23,366
I'm planning to buy a V-Moda M100 or an ATH-50x (I planning to use for electronic music, that's why I gravitating towards the M-100). I have a question about it. Are there any different versions from this headphone on the market? For example, there was a line refresh where engineers changed something and there are v2, v3, etc. versions over the years? Or I don't need to afraid from this and doesn't matter where I buy the headphone, because I always getting the one and only latest & greatest version?

Thank You for your answers!

István

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #21,917 of 23,366
I'm planning to buy a V-Moda M100 or an ATH-50x (I planning to use for electronic music, that's why I gravitating towards the M-100). I have a question about it. Are there any different versions from this headphone on the market? For example, there was a line refresh where engineers changed something and there are v2, v3, etc. versions over the years? Or I don't need to afraid from this and doesn't matter where I buy the headphone, because I always getting the one and only latest & greatest version?

István

Welcome to Head-fi sorry about your wallet!

The M100 is the latest and greatest, there is a Wireless version coming out soon, other that that there is a XS version which is a bit smaller. The M100 is a great Headphone to start with though.

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #21,918 of 23,366
Well, it's been a good year and a half, but my M100s suffered the dreaded cracking wing plates too....

*sigh*

I never abused them; they stay at my pc/gaming area, and when not in use they hang on a coat hook on the wall. They're either on my head, or hung up. They've never been dropped.
It's a shame because I love how they sound, but the "tank durability" is completely unfounded and a blatent lie. I'm sending them in for warranty repair, but I'll be selling them once they get back. I'm currently looking for a more durable set of headphones with a similar sound signature.

V-Moda needs to replace the wing plates with either aluminum or steel. The plastic wing plates simply cannot stand the stress of daily use.

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #21,919 of 23,366
In
Well, it's been a good year and a half, but my M100s suffered the dreaded cracking wing plates too....

*sigh*

I never abused them; they stay at my pc/gaming area, and when not in use they hang on a coat hook on the wall. They're either on my head, or hung up. They've never been dropped.
It's a shame because I love how they sound, but the "tank durability" is completely unfounded and a blatent lie. I'm sending them in for warranty repair, but I'll be selling them once they get back. I'm currently looking for a more durable set of headphones with a similar sound signature.

V-Moda needs to replace the wing plates with either aluminum or steel. The plastic wing plates simply cannot stand the stress of daily use.

Maybe try in ears XD.
There aren't too many headphones that are more durable than the M100s as far as I'm aware. If you want something portable, I'd really just suggest some sort of IEM

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #21,920 of 23,366

*sigh*

I've dropped mine onto wooden and tile floors, linoleum, and concrete sidewalks. I've even walked with them on my head through a few thunderstorms. I believe your experience is an exception to the rule as the durability claims, in my case, are completely founded.

Besides the M-100, I've also dropped my V-80 and XS and both are holding up just as well.

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #21,921 of 23,366
I'm hoping this is a just a one time fluke, but based on some quick searching of amazon reviews, and even in this very thread, my instance is not isolated.
We'll see how the replacements do.
I'm not having any luck finding a replacement pair that sound as good as the M100s.
If this happens with the replacement/repair I may go cnc and fabricate a set of aluminum wing plates myself.

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #21,922 of 23,366
  I'm hoping this is a just a one time fluke, but based on some quick searching of amazon reviews, and even in this very thread, my instance is not isolated.
We'll see how the replacements do.
I'm not having any luck finding a replacement pair that sound as good as the M100s.
If this happens with the replacement/repair I may go cnc and fabricate a set of aluminum wing plates myself.

The wing plates when cracked only cause an aesthetic problem, right?

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #21,923 of 23,366
I'm not entirely sure; I didn't mess with it much, but looking at pics from the web, it looks like the band size adjustment mechanism might be effected depending on how broke the wing plates actually get.

I'm wondering what causes it really.
It can't be from the screws being too tight. If that's the case, why didn't they break sooner?

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #21,924 of 23,366
  I'm not entirely sure; I didn't mess with it much, but looking at pics from the web, it looks like the band size adjustment mechanism might be effected depending on how broke the wing plates actually get.

I'm wondering what causes it really.
It can't be from the screws being too tight. If that's the case, why didn't they break sooner?

How often did you adjust the band size? I readjust mine a decent bit so I am a little concerned.

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #21,925 of 23,366
"I'm ok!" (From post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/11970#post_9110901)

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #21,926 of 23,366
"I'm ok!" (From post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/11970#post_9110901)

You = crazy. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #21,927 of 23,366
Just had a bit of a dumb moment... I'm not used to being able to adjust the headband size on headphones, so I noticed that I wear my ATH-700 on an angle that lines up with my ear. Rather than do this with the M-100, I had been positioning it on my head so it lines up straight with my ears then adjusting the size. The angular approach seems to be more comfortable... was this the right way to wear it all along? 
confused_face.gif

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #21,928 of 23,366
I wear my M-100 and XS at an angle also. They sit better on my head that way.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #21,929 of 23,366
So I originally bought the XS, really loved the sound but just could not get a good fit. Couldn't get it snug on my head without having to adjust the band which in turn made it tighter on my ears.

Long story short I picked up the M-100, very bassy and not quite what I was used to. In the end it took just a little getting used to and now I love it's warm enveloping sound. Great soundstage too. 
Can't wait to start looking at customizing some shields.  

One minor complaint. The Shareplay cable that it came with that I'll probably never use (because it's very long and the weird adapter on the end) is like a maroon/black mix that goes with the Shadow color scheme perfectly and quite classy. Love it. However it does not seem that Vmoda has any of the other cables in that color only a brighter red color. Unless the colors are off on the website. In other words I wish I could get just the standard audio only or speakeasy cable in that same maroonish color. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #21,930 of 23,366

István

My .02: I have the ATH M50 and really like them, I listen to all kinds of music.  I tried the V-Moda M100 and found it muddy and lacking soundstage.  I know everyone has different tastes, but I really could not hear anything in the V-Moda to recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back