V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 30, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #21,946 of 23,366
  I actually have all three headband types; Shadow on my V-80, White/Silver on my M-100, and Matte Black on my XS. The V-80 is the oldest one I have, 5 years, and the headband has withstood the most abuse out of the three. I didn't like carrying the case for my V-80 and ending up losing it anyway, so I made it a habit to just toss them into my bag when I was out. For the three years that I used them daily, they barely show any wear and tear outside of some slight color fading and a couple of small scuffs which they probably got from rubbing up against spiral notebooks and nunchakus in my backpack.

I made the mistake of treating my White/Silver M-100 the same way. I didn't use the case and would just toss them into my bag. After 2 years, the headband started to crack and peel and it got so bad that I now have my entire headband duct taped to prevent further deterioration. The Matte Black headband on the XS is made of a similar(the same?) material as on the White/Silver M-100, so I baby them and always use a case. It's been an year and half, and no signs of damage yet.

I think the suede material is the most durable by far, and if you go the extra mile of wearing a hat to prevent sweat absorption and use the case whenever you travel with them you should be fine.

Thanks for your response!

I find your reply very interesting so thank you for sharing your experience with the different models. I'll be sure to have them in the hardshell case when travelling and to be "capped" when using them live, so I guess i'll be doing all I can to maintain them. Sorry to hear of the damage on the White/Silver model (the material used on this model is the same for the Matte Black model)!

Cheers

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #21,947 of 23,366
Overall sound quality preference.

for my preferences anyway.....

this is totally out of the blue, so take no basis on anything I'm saying/rating here:

of the ones i own...  my favorites----> least favorite I will put in brackets the ones I've heard and not neccesarily owned (most of which only had a total demo time each of 1 hour only)

Again, these are intended as PORTABLE headphones (both on ear/over ear)

(audio technical m50x) = (bowers and wilkins p7)> ( beyerdynamic t51p)>  amperiors (beats solo2) , (focal spirit one S),  sennheiser momentums original= m100s, (AKG K545) spirit one, zoro hd 2, momentum on ear, xs, noontec zoro original---------ausdom m06= skullcandy navigator -- beats studio original

for a point of reference this is my isolation ranking below:

Sennheiser amperior, focal spirit one, sennheiser momentum, beats studio 2013, v-moda m100,

noontec zoro hd 2

beats studio original, sennheiser momentum on ear =vmoda xs

ausdom m06= noontec zoro original

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #21,948 of 23,366
  Thanks for your response!

I find your reply very interesting so thank you for sharing your experience with the different models. I'll be sure to have them in the hardshell case when travelling and to be "capped" when using them live, so I guess i'll be doing all I can to maintain them. Sorry to hear of the damage on the White/Silver model (the material used on this model is the same for the Matte Black model)!

Cheers

Guys, glad to see that now people have used our headphones for 5+ years and feedback on the headbands.  In fact, some of our DJs have used the same Crossfade LP pair for 5+ years now!

I too wear out another product fast, running shoes. Even the best pairs last me about 3 months maximum before they start to tear and the sole wears out. I don't blame Mizuno or Adidas, I like to give credit to the fact that I am running a lot (and with my Crossfade Wireless!).

This is why I created the immortal life program. 

Keep in mind you always have our Six Star Service team that will do whatever it takes to keep you a customer for life - which includes the 50% Immortal Life guarantee. So if you ever want to replace your unit due to normal wear and tear over time or extreme use, we give you half off a new set.  And we have a 2-year warranty (1-year on wireless) of course.  

We make ALL the parts of the Crossfade/XS series as durable as we possibly can, we always choose the most expensive materials and will never will cut costs in these areas.

-V 
V-MODA CEO/Owner

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #21,949 of 23,366
Hello Val!

Thank-you for your reply to the thread, it is great to hear from yourself.

Firstly i'll just clarify that I don't doubt the build quality of V-MODA at all and that I have complete faith that they will last me a very long time. From what i've seen, heard and read I think it's safe to say i'll be sticking with V-MODA for headphones. I took some time to read up on your Immortal Life Program and i'm sure that if any problems arise i'll be in safe hands. 

I saw the press pictures you released for the Wireless models, they look amazing! When they are available I may have to order a pair; firstly though my custom M100's arrive tomorrow (courtesy of mag. mag/dcc studios and of course yourself and the V-MODA team).

Cheers,

Otis.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #21,950 of 23,366
I just looked up my invoice for the V-80 and it turns out I bought it 3 years ago, not five. Just wanted to clear that up.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #21,951 of 23,366
  I just looked up my invoice for the V-80 and it turns out I bought it 3 years ago, not five. Just wanted to clear that up.

:D. I believe the M-80/V-80 (you had the True Blood version!!??) was announced late in 2011 anyway. I remember that was the year when I was re-introduced to Head-Fi and met Jude/Val for the first time and my X'mas I picked up like 3xM-80's (one for myself, another as an X'mas gift, and a 3rd was on behalf of a friend who paid me back) & and an older  model Crossfade (another X'mas gift for another friend).

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #21,952 of 23,366
Hey all, just wondering if anyone else ever had this happen to them :frowning2:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1mxuVAROE2mU3BVdmhLNDFzOWs/view?usp=sharing

The little plastic hinge nub that screws into the fork on my M-100s cracked a few days ago...
I love my M-100s but I'm afraid to wear them because that screw might pop out and be lost for ever. I emailed V-Moda's support team and they recommended sending it in. Waiting a month and going to the trouble to mail it just isn't justifiable to me. It doesn't make sense to me that I have to send them in for a 10 cent piece of plastic smaller than a penny! The guy who I emailed said that it would void the warranty if I repaired it myself... I can see how that makes sense for any electronic repairs, but I'm pretty bummed that something more simple than the side plates (which are user replaceable as I understand) wouldn't void the warranty but this would.

Inconceivable! 

I'm pretty frustrated about how such an ergonomic headphone making company doesn't understand my pain... 
triportsad.gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #21,953 of 23,366

I'm pretty frustrated about how such an ergonomic headphone making company doesn't understand my pain... 
triportsad.gif

Talk to David in our Six Star team, repairs turn around is almost instant and perhaps he can allow you to fix it yourself if you want to try this time.

Six Star Service is our mojo!

-V

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #21,954 of 23,366
Hello guys!

I'm currently hesitating to order a VModa M100 or Sennheiser HD650 (maybe Beyerdynamic dt770 too)
i'm mainly listening to Progressive House, i'm also producing it. So i wonder if Vmoda m100 are good enough for mixing too over hd650?
I have some friends mixing with M100 so i think it doesn't seem to be a problem.
So my question is what should I take between these two in terms of Sound quality, Soundstage, etc.. 
I really need to hear all the details clearly in the music and to feel that i'm also into the music. 
I need the best one of these two

Thank you in advance :)

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #21,955 of 23,366
  Hello guys!

I'm currently hesitating to order a VModa M100 or Sennheiser HD650 (maybe Beyerdynamic dt770 too)
i'm mainly listening to Progressive House, i'm also producing it. So i wonder if Vmoda m100 are good enough for mixing too over hd650?
I have some friends mixing with M100 so i think it doesn't seem to be a problem.
So my question is what should I take between these two in terms of Sound quality, Soundstage, etc.. 
I really need to hear all the details clearly in the music and to feel that i'm also into the music. 
I need the best one of these two

Thank you in advance :)

Well, neither of those are flat frequency response, so neither are you best option, especially not the M100

I'd personally recommend you get the HD600, since it's basically as neutral as headphones can get.
If you really plan on making music, you should keep the HD600 forever, unless you want an SR-009 or something.
Alternatively, you could get the AKG K712.  It's almost as neutral as the HD600, but it does many other things better.
Make sure to get an amp, and an external DAC would be a good call as well.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #21,957 of 23,366
I didn't really get what does really flat frequencies response mean.

It means that it sounds as dull and boring as watching a turd dry; that's what it means. 
blink.gif

Sep 5, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #21,958 of 23,366
I didn't really get what does really flat frequencies response mean. Even if I see these words everywhere.

A flat frequency response can be one of two things. It can refer to a frequency response that is linear which means it doesn't contain any peaks or valleys (but can still be bass focused or treble focused, slanted). However, the majority of the time, it tends to be used interchangeably with neutral. A signature that doesn't focus on any one frequency. These then to be quite unforgiving, but what you want to look for when producing.

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #21,959 of 23,366
Yeah, if producing music with headphones that have a bass emphasis (M-100) then the result will be music with a weak bass through most other headphones, though sound correct on the emphasized headphone use to produce.

If music is produced with a rolled off or smooth treble (HD650) then the result will be an emphasized treble on most other headphones.

You want to produce music with as neutral and flat a frequency response as possible, not one that has bass emphasis or is smooth in the treble.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #21,960 of 23,366
Yeah, if producing music with headphones that have a bass emphasis (M-100) then the result will be music with a weak bass through most other headphones, though sound correct on the emphasized headphone use to produce.

But if you're used to the way most music sounds through the M-100, and you produce music -- using your M-100s -- to have a similar frequency response that most other music has through your M-100s, then the production result should be OK, shouldn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back