V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 27, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #21,361 of 23,366
Well, I gave a caution, an answer, and a suggestion. The focus ended up only on the caution for whatever reason. Again, if the volume is at max and the m-100 is too quiet then either the source isn't up to snuff or the listener is deaf, or going deaf. If we were to presume the former then trying to listen with different source gear is the immediate answer. If the m-100 are still too quiet with multiple sources and multiple users testing the same pair then it may be time to check the headphone out for issues. If possible download a volume meter smartphone app and measure at the earcups for an average reading. This isn't the most accurate way to test but it'll get within a ballpark. If listening above 95db average for extended periods then a caution is warranted. I listen at around 80-85db average and never really get much ear fatigue.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #21,362 of 23,366
Well, I gave a caution, an answer, and a suggestion. The focus ended up only on the caution for whatever reason. Again, if the volume is at max and the m-100 is too quite then either the source isn't up to snuff or the listener is deaf, or going deaf. If we were to presume the former then trying to listen with different source gear is the immediate answer. If the m-100 are still too quiet with multiple sources and multiple users testing the same pair then it may be time to check the headphone out for issues. If possible download a volume meter smartphone app and measure at the earcups for an average reading. This isn't the most accurate way to test but it'll get within a ballpark. If listening above 95db average for extended periods then a caution is warranted. I listen at around 80-85db average and never really get much ear fatigue.

losing your hearing with loud music is a shame & really happens to people. i thought your answer was fine hahaha.

max volume for the efficient & low impedance M-100 will make me think OP is listening at much too high a volume & will damage his ears as well.

the volume that a headphone reaches depends on its impedance (the lower the impedance, the higher the heard volume at any given volume setting) and efficiency (the higher the efficiency, the higher the heard volume at any given volume setting). the headphone impedance & efficiency does not relate to sound quality. only power requirements for attaining a certain dB of volume.

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #21,363 of 23,366
  I have been told that they clamp very tight on the head: not true, and you can band it backwards past 180 to loosen it if necessary, which I never did.

Also been told that replacement larger ear muffs are available: yes, the XL pads for $20.

I would imagine that with the larger replacement muffs tight clamping might not be such an issue if they sit more over the ear than on the ear as a result: yes, but for me the difference is minor.

Thanks for reply DrSheep
great to have so many well informed people in one place! you guys are awesome!

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #21,365 of 23,366
I haven't read through this long thread, so bear with me if my questions have been answered already.

Does anyone know if the M-100 has a long burn-in period? If so, how does its sound change?

Many Crossfade LP owners mentioned in the past that the LP needs 600+ hours of burn-in, and after that, its sound improves dramatically. I got mine used but like new. On the first day, it sounded very muddy, with overly boomy bass, but did have sparkly upper treble. On the second day, it already sounds better to me, with tighter bass and a more balanced sound, but at this early point, I'm not sure if my brain is merely making adjustments or if its sound is actually changing.

How does the bass of the M-100 compare to planar magnetic headphones? What about the JVC HA-SZ2000?

Does V-MODA have a trade-in program where you can send in other V-MODA models to get a discount for the M-100?
V-MODA told me they do not offer upgrades or trade-ins.

losing your hearing with loud music is a shame & really happens to people. i thought your answer was fine hahaha.

max volume for the efficient & low impedance M-100 will make me think OP is listening at much too high a volume & will damage his ears as well.

the volume that a headphone reaches depends on its impedance (the lower the impedance, the higher the heard volume at any given volume setting) and efficiency (the higher the efficiency, the higher the heard volume at any given volume setting). the headphone impedance & efficiency does not relate to sound quality. only power requirements for attaining a certain dB of volume.

While I agree, it does still depend on the source used. With a Magni 2 Uber amp on high gain, my Crossfade LP gets to very loud listening levels just from barely turning the volume knob up. On my laptop's middle headphone jack, it doesn't get loud at all - not even to normal listening levels at 100%. On the front headphone jack (which has higher output power for whatever reason), it gets many times louder.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #21,367 of 23,366

anything on the grapevine about an upgrade to the m-100 ? thinking about getting another pair but would wait if there is...

+1. I've been waiting for something new for awhile, as far as upgrading the M100s.

Only a few tidbits here and there about the Master Editions.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf-2014-v-moda-master-edition-m-100-and-xs

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #21,368 of 23,366
  I haven't read through this long thread, so bear with me if my questions have been answered already.

Does anyone know if the M-100 has a long burn-in period? If so, how does its sound change?

Many Crossfade LP owners mentioned in the past that the LP needs 600+ hours of burn-in, and after that, its sound improves dramatically. I got mine used but like new. On the first day, it sounded very muddy, with overly boomy bass, but did have sparkly upper treble. On the second day, it already sounds better to me, with tighter bass and a more balanced sound, but at this early point, I'm not sure if my brain is merely making adjustments or if its sound is actually changing.

And thats about the thing: your brain adapts to the sound. And the pads get softer with usage, which may also alter the sound a bit. 600h? Thats nonsense.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #21,369 of 23,366
  And thats about the thing: your brain adapts to the sound. And the pads get softer with usage, which may also alter the sound a bit. 600h? Thats nonsense.

This is actually the first time I've experienced any sort of burn-in, be it mental or mechanical.

Relevant reference links:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613371/vmoda-crossfade-lp-why-all-the-bad-reviews
http://www.head-fi.org/t/495275/new-v-moda-crossfade-lp-unboxed-reviewed/30#post_9578280
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1OVJBVL8B5Q39/

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #21,370 of 23,366

I know the mechanical effect of pads getting softer, thereby providing better seal, on two occasions with my DT1350: first with their original pads, where I dismissed the effect. Then again after changing pads I had the impression of better bass response after about two weeks of intense use, like with the first pair. Not relevant to all kinds of pads though... but one definitely gets used to a sound signature.

To me the M100 fit better after some time as well, so that may be the reason for a slight change as well. I did not perceive it as such though, but musical memory is very short lived anyway...

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #21,371 of 23,366
  I know the mechanical effect of pads getting softer, thereby providing better seal, on two occasions with my DT1350: first with their original pads, where I dismissed the effect. Then again after changing pads I had the impression of better bass response after about two weeks of intense use, like with the first pair. Not relevant to all kinds of pads though... but one definitely gets used to a sound signature.

To me the M100 fit better after some time as well, so that may be the reason for a slight change as well. I did not perceive it as such though, but musical memory is very short lived anyway...

I'm getting the V-MODA XL Memory Cushions soon, which I will also use with the M-100 once I upgrade. At first, the LP is somewhat comfortable, but after a few hours, it begins to hurt my ears. (From what I recall of my one-time audition of the M-100, the fit was the same.) Shouldn't be a problem with the bigger ear pads, and it may help the sound too.

Since you own the Abyss, etc., do you think you could describe how the bass differs between the M-100 and planar magnetics?

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #21,372 of 23,366
  Since you own the Abyss, etc., do you think you could describe how the bass differs between the M-100 and planar magnetics?

The M100 has much more midbass (actually a bit too much for my taste) while the Abyss is more or less flat, with more impact, staying clearer. Its also faster. Its not that the M100 does not do bass well, I think the only thing that troubles me is the early start of that emphasis. Its not one-note, drowning out the rest of the spectrum though, its simply fun and sometimes overshooting a bit.

I'm sorry I can't comment on other planar magnetic systems as I've owned none of them: the Abyss is the first to fit my preferences in sound, all others I have are dynamic systems.

Tylls measurements are quite inline with how I would describe the audible differences:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/JPSLabsAbyssAB1266.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM100.pdf

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #21,373 of 23,366
I got to use my M-100 in this web series I did. Yes, I am aware that this is shameless self-promotion.
biggrin.gif

/img/vimeo_logo.png 

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #21,374 of 23,366
Caption Competition!

Is she saying, "have patience son, it'll grow"?

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #21,375 of 23,366
Any alternatives to V-Moda's 1/8" to 1/4" Plug Adapter V2? Not sure if mine is defective, but it outputs a mono signal if I plug the headphone cable all the way in it, so have to find just the right position for the stereo sound. Got a standard 1/8 to 1/4 adapter but its not compatible since V-Moda's cable jack is 4 pole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back