V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 25, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #21,331 of 23,366
  Hi, is M100 good for heavy, death metal, hardcore music like slipknot, swallow the sun, as I lay dying etc. or I'm going towards Fidelio X1. thanks

This leaves me tinkling... but since this is not a Metal forum....

I have a question. Does the LP come close to the M100 in term of sound? I'm thinking of having the M100 for the street, but worried they might be too big.

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #21,332 of 23,366
LP is much bassier, lacks treble and overall is less refined than the M-100. Also, the LP and M-100 are the same size. Did you mean to compare the size of the M-80/XS to the M-100?

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #21,334 of 23,366
  Yep I meant the M80. My friend has one, I mistook it for the LP cos he mentioned a lot of names.

m80 is on-ear. you should try it on to see the comfort levels for you.

m80 is tuned more neutral compared to the m-100s v-shaped sound sig. the lps have even more bass boost. they have a new xs on-ear that folds like the m100. not sure how its sound compares to the rest.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #21,335 of 23,366
XS sounds like a slightly(very slightly) less bassy M-80 with better extended treble.

The M-100 is fine for wearing around as it isn't heavy and folds up to store inside a bag. The one thing it doesn't do well is sit around the neck. The ear cups are a little too big and they press against my throat when looking down. With the M-80 you don't even notice that they're there.

M-100 - More isolation, bigger sound stage, better clarity and overall sound. More "fun."
M-80 - Punchier bass, amazing vocals, smaller sound stage and easier to wear.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #21,336 of 23,366
  XS sounds like a slightly(very slightly) less bassy M-80 with better extended treble.

The M-100 is fine for wearing around as it isn't heavy and folds up to store inside a bag. The one thing it doesn't do well is sit around the neck. The ear cups are a little too big and they press against my throat when looking down. With the M-80 you don't even notice that they're there.

M-100 - More isolation, bigger sound stage, better clarity and overall sound. More "fun."
M-80 - Punchier bass, amazing vocals, smaller sound stage and easier to wear.

Seems like I should have gotten the m80's.... I like vocals =<

How's the sibilance of the m80? Is it less or more?

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #21,337 of 23,366
Sibilance? Non-existent. Same goes for the XS.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #21,338 of 23,366
Sibilance? Non-existent. Same goes for the XS.

Interesting. The XS seems to be the headphone that I wanted out of the M100...
To be honest, Tyll lured me into buying these headphones since it was on his wall of fame. So now I'm selling mine and I learned that I'll just trust my ears from now on.

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #21,339 of 23,366

To be honest, Tyll lured me into buying these headphones since it was on his wall of fame. So now I'm selling mine and I learned that I'll just trust my ears from now on.

Reviews, even well-made ones like Tyll does, only get you so far... in the end it has to fit *your* head and taste :wink:

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #21,340 of 23,366

Reviews, even well-made ones like Tyll does, only get you so far... in the end it has to fit *your* head and taste :wink:

Really the key with choosing based off of reviewer is see what they like or don't like that you have or heard and why. When you get common ground you start to make better decisions based on review. Otherwise you are choosing blindly based on someone else's preferences, no matter how objective they seem.

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #21,341 of 23,366

The M-80, and now the XS, are both on his Wall of Fame too. It was actually my love of the M-80 that led me to the M-100. Now I'm just a V-MODA fanboy.
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #21,342 of 23,366

Really the key with choosing based off of reviewer is see what they like or don't like that you have or heard and why. When you get common ground you start to make better decisions based on review. Otherwise you are choosing blindly based on someone else's preferences, no matter how objective they seem.

If you know many headphones and find some that the same reviewer describes, that might wirk to a certain level... still I think reviews are very hard to translate into a personal assessment. Nevertheless I keep Tylls work in high regard (I know how our tastes differ :wink: and appreciate the consistent measurements he does.

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #21,343 of 23,366
  Please help! I think my Beats Pro are better than my M-100 headphones...

I recently decided to treat my ears and switched over from a pair of beats pros to Crossfade M-100 by V-MODA. When I was doing a sound comparison I realized that my beats sounded much louder on full volume than my M-100's when plugged into my laptop. Do you think my M-100 headphones are defective? I was under the impression that the M-100's were a superior audio device and I consider volume as something very important. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

fancy see you here @lexcheers i'm On A StudentBudget!

Volume =/= quality
The M100's probably aren't deffective, though I'm curious as to why you would need to turn either of them up that high?  On my laptop, 10 volume is pushing it for my comfort (for the M100's).

you basically broke down what took me a paragraph to explain on the youtube comments

+Lex Cheers hm... i hope i can explain this clearly! if you don't understand any part of what i'm about to say, be sure to comment below! i'm happy to clarify! Okay here goes. So first headphones in general have something called sensitivity and impedence value, which influence how loud the headphones can become from whatever your source (which in this case is your laptop). So with your comparison, you put the beats pro and the vmoda m100 at the same volume right? Now if they both have the EXACT same sensitivity and impedence(which rarely happens, all headphones vary greatly), if then the m100s are NOT as loud as the beats pro.... then you CAN CONCLUDE there is a defect. However, the thing is i can post you the specs for the vmoda m100, but beats doesn't post their specs (no one knows what they are). So your experiment comparing the headphones based on the volume wouldn't work sadly. In other words you can't really compare headphones perfectly just because your using the exact same volume for both headphones, even if your using the same device(laptop/iphone/samsung etc).

Also, if the beats pros have a lower impedence and higher sensitivity (what this means is that it takes less energy to reach the same volume as say the m100s, which could have a higher impedence and lower sensitivity) its very possible that you prefer the beats pro more! don't hesitate to say it! =) i didn't have the chance to compare them. the word "better" is thrown around too much, its which you enjoy more that counts. Now if you want to start talking about measurements and graphs, thats a more objective way of measuring "which is better" but i doubt you wanna go that far =). In the end, if you feel the m100s are defective, send vmoda an email (their customer service is really good, they replied to me within hours, to fix my issue) no questions asked =). Hope that helps! again lemme know if anything is unclear, 

Or you can try to protect your hearing.  You'll need it if yo want to, I dunno, listen to music.

You realize that listening for any extended period at high volume, even on "rare occasions" will permanently damage your hearing right? There is no going back from hearing loss...

No, most people aren't aware of the danger...........

And that's why they can't hear when they're 50. Damage doesn't appear right away. Ever hear of tinnitus?

Anyway, different headphones have different impedances. The beats pro are 18 Ohms and the m-100 are 32 Ohms meaning you need more power to drive the m-100, or turn up the volume. It's in the design and not a defect. When driven properly from a good source (ie., not a weak computer headphone jack) the m-100 can really punch in the bass and the treble is not bad.

I find I need to EQ the bass down as it can be way too much for me but the headphones are definately better than the beats pro in my opinion. Try listening to them from a smartphone or even better a dedicated music player. The m-100 are easy to drive so either you're damaging your hearing or your computer output is absolute crap.

come on guys!
beerchug.gif
 to each their own! he was only asking for help boosting the volume for this m100s! 

but yes if you need more power @lexcheers you can try boosting the gain a bit ( just to save a few bucks) if you feel its starts to distort you'll need a amplifier! the e11k you asked me before should work fine.

also there gets to a point where the headphones will distort no matter what source your using if the volume is high enough. when exactly i can't say....

if anything the headphones drivers will short out before your hearing =) 

@x RELIC x i think most people are somewhat aware.... they know but they don't consider that it will affect them.. its kinda like.... "ohh i know texting and driving is bad, and it can lead to an accident"  "but it won't happen to me though >.> i forgot what theory that is though.... hm... it slips my mind at the moment
No, most people aren't aware of the danger...........

And that's why they can't hear when they're 50. Damage doesn't appear right away. Ever hear of tinnitus?

Anyway, different headphones have different impedances. The beats pro are 18 Ohms and the m-100 are 32 Ohms meaning you need more power to drive the m-100, or turn up the volume. It's in the design and not a defect. When driven properly from a good source (ie., not a weak computer headphone jack) the m-100 can really punch in the bass and the treble is not bad.

I find I need to EQ the bass down as it can be way too much for me but the headphones are definately better than the beats pro in my opinion. Try listening to them from a smartphone or even better a dedicated music player. The m-100 are easy to drive so either you're damaging your hearing or your computer output is absolute crap.

where did you get those specs for the beats pro 0.0... as far as i know beats doesn't post any specifications for their headphones/ earphones....

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #21,344 of 23,366
"i think most people are somewhat aware.... they know but they don't consider that it will affect them.. its kinda like.... "ohh i know texting and driving is bad, and it can lead to an accident"  "but it won't happen to me though >.> i forgot what theory that is though.... hm... it slips my mind at the moment".

The theory is called Natural Selection. If it works properly these people will be taken out before someone else suffers.

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #21,345 of 23,366
  "i think most people are somewhat aware.... they know but they don't consider that it will affect them.. its kinda like.... "ohh i know texting and driving is bad, and it can lead to an accident"  "but it won't happen to me though >.> i forgot what theory that is though.... hm... it slips my mind at the moment".

The theory is called Natural Selection. If it works properly these people will be taken out before someone else suffers.

You are a beautiful person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back