V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 23, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #21,317 of 23,366
Please help! I think my Beats Pro are better than my M-100 headphones...

I recently decided to treat my ears and switched over from a pair of beats pros to Crossfade M-100 by V-MODA. When I was doing a sound comparison I realized that my beats sounded much louder on full volume than my M-100's when plugged into my laptop. Do you think my M-100 headphones are defective? I was under the impression that the M-100's were a superior audio device and I consider volume as something very important. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #21,318 of 23,366

I recently decided to treat my ears and switched over from a pair of beats pros to Crossfade M-100 by V-MODA. When I was doing a sound comparison I realized that my beats sounded much louder on full volume than my M-100's when plugged into my laptop. Do you think my M-100 headphones are defective? I was under the impression that the M-100's were a superior audio device and I consider volume as something very important. 

Thanks

Volume =/= quality
The M100's probably aren't deffective, though I'm curious as to why you would need to turn either of them up that high?  On my laptop, 10 volume is pushing it for my comfort (for the M100's).

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #21,319 of 23,366
I'm thinking I can increase the output gain on my computer, only question I have is will this decrease sound quality? I won't increase it drastically or anything, just a little so if I really want to blast my music I can get those extra few levels. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #21,320 of 23,366
  I'm thinking I can increase the output gain on my computer, only question I have is will this decrease sound quality? I won't increase it drastically or anything, just a little so if I really want to blast my music I can get those extra few levels. 

Or you can try to protect your hearing.  You'll need it if yo want to, I dunno, listen to music.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #21,322 of 23,366
  I appreciate your concern but I only listen to music on high volume on rare occasions... 

You realize that listening for any extended period at high volume, even on "rare occasions" will permanently damage your hearing right? There is no going back from hearing loss...

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #21,324 of 23,366
I'm well aware of that, and I'm sure the millions of people around the world who attend concerts and stand near the stage exposing them to high volume music are aware of this fact also. 

No, most people aren't aware of the danger...........

And that's why they can't hear when they're 50. Damage doesn't appear right away. Ever hear of tinnitus?

Anyway, different headphones have different impedances. The beats pro are 18 Ohms and the m-100 are 32 Ohms meaning you need more power to drive the m-100, or turn up the volume. It's in the design and not a defect. When driven properly from a good source (ie., not a weak computer headphone jack) the m-100 can really punch in the bass and the treble is not bad.

I find I need to EQ the bass down as it can be way too much for me but the headphones are definately better than the beats pro in my opinion. Try listening to them from a smartphone or even better a dedicated music player. The m-100 are easy to drive so either you're damaging your hearing or your computer output is absolute crap.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #21,326 of 23,366
If you're able to listen to your headphones at max volume on any device then either the device is garbage and doesn't have enough power or you are already deaf. Full volume is never a good thing to do.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #21,328 of 23,366
It's my go-to headphone for Oomph, Megaherz or Eisbrecher if that's any help. Guitars are awesome!

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #21,329 of 23,366
  Hi, is M100 good for heavy, death metal, hardcore music like slipknot, swallow the sun, as I lay dying etc. or I'm going towards Fidelio X1. thanks

I listen to a lot of metal and the frequency response and fidelity of the m100 is a great match. Some headphones make guitars sound rough in the 4khz area, but the m100s are smooth. I really like how they render guitars. The huge bass response really lends itself to the way metal is mixed, lesser bass response with metal makes it sound too thin to me. I can crank up the m100s and rock out without feeling like my eardrums are being slashed by razor blades. I highly recommend them for metal.

My concern is that open back headphones wouldn't have the low end response to make thin metal recordings satiating.

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #21,330 of 23,366
  I listen to a lot of metal and the frequency response and fidelity of the m100 is a great match. Some headphones make guitars sound rough in the 4khz area, but the m100s are smooth. I really like how they render guitars. The huge bass response really lends itself to the way metal is mixed, lesser bass response with metal makes it sound too thin to me. I can crank up the m100s and rock out without feeling like my eardrums are being slashed by razor blades. I highly recommend them for metal.

My concern is that open back headphones wouldn't have the low end response to make thin metal recordings satiating.

I like the M100's for metal as well, double bass kicks are certainly an addicting factor of why I like the genre.The M100 has a 8khz peak that sounds just right with many sources, just not with the FiiO X3. Hopefully there'll be a firmware that addresses this harshness.
Anyhow.

Depends on the song and headphone. Different headphones highlight different parts of the song.
Grado SR225 and AKG Q701 highlight the detail of guitars with a lot of texture. Bass is a bit thin, although they're fast and double bass kicks are clearer than the M100.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X makes metal feel like a live performance without the giant subwoofers
and Sennheiser HD598 (paired with a tube amp) is interestingly enough, fatiguing with poor recorded metal but the boomy midbass gives off a sense of power.

Thanks

You're gonna need an amplifier. I did a bass boost test (FiiO X3+FiiO E12) and the M100's literally vibrated when placed on the table and distorted my vision when wearing them (due to amount of bass). Dr Dre Detox didn't come close to producing the same sub-bass.

Mids and highs were a no brainer compared to the Dr Dre's, the Detox sounded muddy in comparison to the M100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back