V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 16, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #20,191 of 23,366
Hi Guys!
I plan to buy m-100.
I read a lot of reviews and everywhere write about the overwhelming bass.
Unfortunately I have no way to test m-100 :frowning2:
How they sound if playing Freakpower, Spice, Everlast, Torpedo Boyz, Skeewiff, Alice Russel, Miss Li or other similar? 
Also how they sound using Fiio X5?
Thanks!

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #20,192 of 23,366
  Hi Guys!
I plan to buy m-100.
How they sound if playing Freakpower, Spice, Everlast, Torpedo Boyz, Skeewiff, Alice Russel, Miss Li or other similar? 
Thanks!

The bass can be overwhelming at times, but this is something that can be controlled to be honest.  If you like a good amount of bass, then these are for you.  

These like to be played at loud volumes, so just be wary of that.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #20,193 of 23,366
  Hi Guys!
I plan to buy m-100.
Thanks!

there seems to be some confusion about this, when alot of audiophiles review these hp's they call it overwhelming bass.

And probably if you asked someone without any knowledge about hp's they probably wouldnt even say its bass boosted.

Is the bass boosted? Yes, but in my opinion in a really good way, its not overpowering in my opinion.
Personally, i dont think the bass bleeds into the mids.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #20,194 of 23,366
The bass to my mind acts like a sub. It's there, it can be huge, but it is separate. I've no idea how much this is attributable to the double diaphragm.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #20,195 of 23,366
  Hi Guys!
I plan to buy m-100.
Thanks!

I tested out all these tracks on YouTube using my M-100 fed by a brand-new (10 hours burned-in) Aune T1 with the stock 6922 vacuum tube. Quality of the tracks ranged from 720p HD to 240p depending on the artist so bitrate consistency was off.

I have listened to an X5 with my M-100, but not long enough to provide any impressions that are worthwhile.

Turn On, Tune In, Cop Out by Freak Power - Everything sounds good. Bass guitar is prominent, snare drums snap and sizzle and the vocals are creamy with a cool surround effect. They sound like they are coming from the stage maybe 3 rows in front of you and then sweep outward to envelope your face. Trumpet solo sounded a little distant.

Funkiest Body in Town by Spice - It's hard to tell. The video quality on YouTube is only 240p so the sound is very low quality. From the video it sounded as if the bass overpowered the vocals and other instrumentation, but I think the recording has more to do with it.

White Trash Beautiful by Everlast - Vocals are nice a present. The M-100 does fantastic with gruff male vocals. The guitars are placed where they should be and sound great throughout the song complementing the vocals well. Kick drum? is very forward, but never distracting and the cymbals and snares are polite. They are present and clear, but maybe a tad quiet.

That Is So Beautiful by Torpedo Boyz- It's all guitars and synthesizers. I also tried listening to Any Trash Professor Abacus? and Ich Bin Auslander and while it seems that synthesizers would pair well with the M-100 do its DJ and EDM inspired background, I felt the mixes for Torpedo Boyz are too bassy and it sounds congested and fatiguing on the M-100. This could be attributed to the equipment the Torpedo Boyz mix with is bass shy so they compensated by adding more to their songs. I didn't find their music to be a good pairing.

A Man Of Constant Sorrow by Skeewiff -Everything just sounds perfect. Imagine you're listening to them performing live in a small bar, where drums usually sound a little too loud anyway, and that's exactly how it sounds. Vocals, guitars, cymbals, drums all meld together into a soundgasm. I think you made a new Skeewiff fan out of me!

Heartbreaker by Alice Russell - Another song where the M-100's ability to render an intimate 3-dimensional sound stage makes it a fun musical experience. The entire track, probably due to Alice Russell's filtered vocals, has a thick, smoky feel to it, but in a good way. I feel like I can inhale the music and feel it in my chest.

My Heart Goes Boom by Miss Li - Loved it. This track was pure fun. I was too busy bobbing my head to notice any shortcomings. Maybe Miss Li's voice could be more forward. Recessed mids will yield such wantings.

I think the M-100 will suit your musical tastes just fine. Also keep in mind that they are very responsive to EQ and you can always tweak the bass down if you need to.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #20,197 of 23,366
"So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it." - Willy Wonka

Sometimes a new tube DAC/amp, new musical discoveries, a sudden NYC freeze, and other tasks (like book editing and finding acting work) interfere with a training schedule. I have a half day of work tomorrow so jump rope and grip training after that.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #20,198 of 23,366
Mfarrer74, Aeration, Zorrofox,
Thanks a lot!

SpiderNhan,
Great job! Thank you so much!
If it's not so hard, also please can you tell me something about this two songs?
Billy's Band - So Long I'll See Ya (Tom Waits Cover) (Start listening from 01:08)
Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name

P.S.
Now I'm not far away from the make an order :)

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #20,199 of 23,366
  Mfarrer74, Aeration, Zorrofox,
Thanks a lot!

SpiderNhan,
Great job! Thank you so much!
If it's not so hard, also please can you tell me something about this two songs?
Billy's Band - So Long I'll See Ya (Tom Waits Cover) (Start listening from 01:08)
Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name

P.S.
Now I'm not far away from the make an order :)

I'll let you know in a couple of hours. Are you ordering from V-MODA directly? If so, you have time to think about which color M-100 and which color shield you want to go with it. Free shields!

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #20,200 of 23,366
  "So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it." - Willy Wonka

Sometimes a new tube DAC/amp, new musical discoveries, a sudden NYC freeze, and other tasks (like book editing and finding acting work) interfere with a training schedule. I have a half day of work tomorrow so jump rope and grip training after that.

Take it easy man, I know you have it tough.  Just don't forget about us when you are famous :).

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #20,202 of 23,366
Warm water, mild detergent applied sparingly to cloth. Wipe & dry. Listen...

:) :) :)

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #20,203 of 23,366
Hi guys, I have a white m-100 and I'm a little worried about how to clean them. I know it's a silly question but if you guys can give me some pointers that would be much appreciate.

Clean your headphones by soaking a soft cloth in warm water and dabbing the leather until clean, do not rub the cleaning cloth on the leather.  Do not use cleaning detergents or leather polish, doing so may cause damage to the product.  Clean your headphones regularly to avoid buildup of of dirt.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #20,204 of 23,366
  I've been looking for a kink-free audio only cable for the M-100s (and my XS), but the V-Moda audio only cables are almost 6 feet long.  They are light and flexible but they do tend to kink up.

I found a Mediabridge cable on Amazon that fills the bill.  The link is HERE.

I just got a couple of them in today; they cost $8.00, and are available on the Amazon US site.  They are very well made, and the step-down connectors fit perfectly into the M-100s and XS, and also into my iPhone with a case on.  They are not quite as flexible as the stock cables, but they do not kink at all, and they look great.  Secure connection, good sound, no noise.

The 2 foot length is great for when I keep my iPhone/Vamp Verza in an inside jacket pocket.  The 4 footer is plenty for carrying the phone and amp in any other pocket.  

Thank you for confirming these cables work with the M100's! :D

I need a long cable to go from my receiver to the couch for my M100's and wasn't sure if these would work out.
Grabbing a couple now. :)

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #20,205 of 23,366
Im not sure how Red Jacket Mike was able to get a mediabridge cable to work in his v-moda headphones but I have one of those cables I purchased for something else and it definitely does NOT fit in my m100's. Also the mediabridge cable is heavily shielded, thick, heavy and not very flexible. It is not something that I would recommend for a headphone.

if your looking for a very high quality cable for the m100 I would recommend sourcing a genuine monster/beats cable or making your own out of Redco TGS-1 cable, whatever connector you want on the source side and one of these connectors on the headphone side.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-3-Pole-3-5mm-Male-Repair-headphone-Jack-Plug-Metal-Audio-Soldering-Spring-/281243011459?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item417b63c983

Users who are viewing this thread

Back