V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 30, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #11,986 of 23,366
Quote:
Maybe it's because the track is an instrumental track
rolleyes.gif

I thought there would be some speaking about the comparisons within the first 3-4 minutes :p. The music isn't until the end.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #11,987 of 23,366
Quote:

I thought there would be some speaking about the comparisons within the first 3-4 minutes :p. The music isn't until the end.

Dude, when it comes to being an orator I'm quite terrible at it. I just threw up the video to let people see for themselves the differences in size etc between the two headphones. I've had enough people asking questions concerning the difference in size appearance etc of the M-100 next to its M-80 little brother so I posted a video of the two side by side because nobody had bothered to do so yet. Sorry my video was so terrible.
confused_face.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #11,988 of 23,366
Quote:
There is NO WAY I can imagine the Verza having 5x the affect on sound that the C&C BH does for 5x the price.

I'm in awe.... wow. This amp really brings the M-100s to life. The thing is, there's so many configurations with this little thing, it's really configurable to taste. So far I prefer LOD > OUT2 with GC on low, and both LF and SF switches on. I think OUT1 is more mid centric, but I've been using OUT2 because the volume pot is less sensitive to turns and the sound has a warmer tilt.

Micro detail like never before. The bass boost is very generous, and is VERY clean, I'm extremely impressed by it. I prefer it over the ZO. The SF switch does wonders for the sound stage. It boosts the highs a bit and crossfeeds the channels giving more depth, and height it's really magical - The soundstage opens up substantially.

The amp itself (no switches on) brings the mids a little more forward, and I found the sub bass (especially) is cleaner and a tad more present; really makes the M-100 purr. Vocals have better presentation than unamped imo - especially with SF on - and background instruments are given more room to breathe. If you thought the M-100 was detailed before... 

Like I don't know what kind of black magic is going on here, but the background instruments and noises are coming right out, and the soundstage has become so much more 3D. Mids are not taking a back seat anymore. Well integrated into the rest of the song. Drums, vocals and guitars are all much better presented now.

I'll come back with impressions on a different configuration later. 

EDIT: Upon a little more careful listening, with OUT2 the SF switch cross feeds, and brings mids and lower treble forward, where the LF switch boosts lows generously, and the highs a little bit giving it a V-shaped EQ almost. This is a fun little amp. I don't even know if I care to get another one for comparison sake.

Wow...

Its just a shame my S3 doesn't have a LOD, as I have to double amp, or use a DAC and output through USB? (but it'd need to have a DAC function) Or can I use LOD with my S3 in some way with a standard amp?

I'm still messing with the PA2V2, connected straight from the headphone socket on my S3, and the output is worse than it was through the S3 to M-100's alone. Just louder of course. The mids aren't lifted like I was hoping they would be. More bass presence though, but I just dont think the output is as clean.

I'm still to mess with the gains, and I hope this fixes things, but for the money, the BH seems to do a whole lot more.

I didn't even know about it until that post :frowning2:

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #11,989 of 23,366
Ugh, i'm debating with myself on getting these. I'm up for a somewhat bassy, portable (i mean foldable and easy to carry around) headphone for around the price range, yet people keep saying different things about them. Some love them, others not so much. I could also get a pair of IEM's instead for portable listening, but i don't know....i've considered the westone 3 and the gr07 as well. In general, i wish there were more portables in the price range that were, you know, actually portable

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #11,990 of 23,366
I really don't think you can go wrong with M-100 if yo're looking for a bassy portable. If you really don't like them, they come with 60 day no questions asked refund. 

And from what people have said they scale pretty well with portable amps. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #11,991 of 23,366
Quote:
Ugh, i'm debating with myself on getting these. I'm up for a somewhat bassy, portable (i mean foldable and easy to carry around) headphone for around the price range, yet people keep saying different things about them. Some love them, others not so much. I could also get a pair of IEM's instead for portable listening, but i don't know....i've considered the westone 3 and the gr07 as well. In general, i wish there were more portables in the price range that were, you know, actually portable

Well for me there's no other option for what I would call a D2000 semi open bass head can replacement, good bass, balanced sound, great soundstage...

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #11,992 of 23,366
Quote:

Folded up in its case, the M-100 isn't much bigger than a softball.  I would consider that highly portable for a full-size headphone, wouldn't you?

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #11,993 of 23,366
Quote:
Folded up in its case, the M-100 isn't much bigger than a softball.  I would consider that highly portable for a full-size headphone, wouldn't you?

Yeah, i consider that portable, i'm talking about other headphones. the m100 is one of the FEW that fold up at that price

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #11,994 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, i consider that portable, i'm talking about other headphones. the m100 is one of the FEW that fold up at that price

Don't a lot of headphones fold-up in the $300 range? They don't fold-up the same, but they fold-up nonetheless.
I actually prefer to have headphones that lie flat since you can just slip it in your backpack, whereas folded headphones tend to fall at the bottom of my backpack and create a big "gap", making my backpack look larger than it actually is.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #11,995 of 23,366
Quote:
Don't a lot of headphones fold-up in the $300 range? They don't fold-up the same, but they fold-up nonetheless.
I actually prefer to have headphones that lie flat since you can just slip it in your backpack, whereas folded headphones tend to fall at the bottom of my backpack and create a big "gap", making my backpack look larger than it actually is.

Foldables could work too, though i don't know of many (Sennheiser's don't fold and the dt1350 apparently is a lot better with amping)

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #11,996 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Foldables could work too, though i don't know of many (Sennheiser's don't fold and the dt1350 apparently is a lot better with amping)

Yeah I don't think any of Senneheiser's fold. Some of them do lie flat though (HD 238 for example) and it was really convenient to just slip it in-between my notebook/books in my backpack.

Any headphone that folds-up like the Beats is considered foldable and thus portable, and there are plenty of headphones that do that nowadays (UE6000 for example).

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #11,997 of 23,366
Wha......I don't even... >.>

When I dropped my M-100's at the last Head-Fi meet I went to, the left earcup got a pretty long but thin crack in it. Here you are putting 110 lbs on it no problem. There is no possible way my M-100's could have sustained over 110 lbs from the 3 ft drop. D:

I mean, if you do the math, 280 g is about .62 lbs. Even if I were to forcibly throw the M-100's to the ground, I don't think I can throw it with a force of 109.38 lbs.

"That just ain't right"

Well, I'm not gonna try anything drastic anytime soon. It has survived some pretty harsh treatment in the past month but I don't think it's necessarily bounced back to original durability each time....i.e. I'm sure certain parts have weakened without me noticing & it's not going to survive 50kg every single time.

That's a pretty serious crack. I've dropped my M-100 many times & not had a crack like that. Most logical would be weaknesses only from certain angles.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #11,998 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Wha......I don't even... >.>

When I dropped my M-100's at the last Head-Fi meet I went to, the left earcup got a pretty long but thin crack in it. Here you are putting 110 lbs on it no problem. There is no possible way my M-100's could have sustained over 110 lbs from the 3 ft drop. D:

I mean, if you do the math, 280 g is about .62 lbs. Even if I were to forcibly throw the M-100's to the ground, I don't think I can throw it with a force of 109.38 lbs.

"That just ain't right"

Well, I'm not gonna try anything drastic anytime soon. It has survived some pretty harsh treatment in the past month but I don't think it's necessarily bounced back to original durability each time....i.e. I'm sure certain parts have weakened without me noticing & it's not going to survive 50kg every single time.

That's a pretty serious crack. I've dropped my M-100 many times & not had a crack like that. Most logical would be weaknesses only from certain angles.

Well, as long as it works, I'm fine with it really. XD
It's just kind of amazing to see your M-100's survive through so much testing though.

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #11,999 of 23,366
Has anyone got the chance to compare these to the MDR 1R?  I guess at the end of the day the 1R bothers me because they have no character, and are slightly too forward in the mids( I got tired of my Shure 530s for this reason, really).  From the sounds of it, the M100s have character, and are a phenomenal portable pair, I just wish I got a chance to hear them.  In all honesty are the mids quite recessed, or only somewhat recessed?  I don't know if it matters, I think I might pull the trigger.  So indecisive xD 

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #12,000 of 23,366
Quote:
Has anyone got the chance to compare these to the MDR 1R?  I guess at the end of the day the 1R bothers me because they have no character, and are slightly too forward in the mids( I got tired of my Shure 530s for this reason, really).  From the sounds of it, the M100s have character, and are a phenomenal portable pair, I just wish I got a chance to hear them.  In all honesty are the mids quite recessed, or only somewhat recessed?  I don't know if it matters, I think I might pull the trigger.  So indecisive xD 

I find the mids to be slightly recessed, or laid-back. Using the paper towel [or gauze] mod can help bring out the mids if they don't satisfy you out-of-the-box. That, or a coloured amp with good synergy with the M-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back