V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 31, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #12,001 of 23,366
Pretty sure if you checked that thread on the MDR 1R,
the sound should not even be nowhere similar.
What kind of music U prefer should be a factor.
Personally I would not say these m100 mids are laid back at all.
The tiesto k167 &k67 cans are thou
And the the m80 mids are more forward than m100 but presentation is different as m100 sound larger.

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #12,002 of 23,366

Both these headphones are at the same price range..

Guess wich one trounces the other on all levels,
And whips the "cushons" off the other?
Of course the answer you can guess as I am posting on this thread !
But for now, I will say that these m100 are:
Sleeker,
more comfortable,
higher quality,
larger sound,
better bass,
more treble and midrange air.
I will post any diamond attributes over at its thread.
Also take note everyones ears hear differently so thats why I prefer headphone comparisons,
Instead of sonic descriptions without a reference point.
Edit:
Need to clarify I am NOT putting down the diamond tears,
They are at the level of the m80 in overal quality of l sound, maybe even slightly better.
But I feel that even if given choice, it would still be m80 given they are smaller.

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #12,003 of 23,366
M100 = waves of clean bass energy...that's the best I can explain my experience so far...loving it!

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #12,004 of 23,366
Just got the K267s in today, straight of the box they sounded great.  Very little difference between each bass setting.
Going to compare them to the M-100s.  Build quality is great but prefer the sleeker feel of the M-100s.

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #12,005 of 23,366
Quote:
Has anyone got the chance to compare these to the MDR 1R?  I guess at the end of the day the 1R bothers me because they have no character, and are slightly too forward in the mids( I got tired of my Shure 530s for this reason, really).  From the sounds of it, the M100s have character, and are a phenomenal portable pair, I just wish I got a chance to hear them.  In all honesty are the mids quite recessed, or only somewhat recessed?  I don't know if it matters, I think I might pull the trigger.  So indecisive xD 

I auditioned the MDR1R and heard them as you describe. If you have seen my posts here, you know how I feel about the M-100.  Any midrange recession is mild and depends more on the recording.  Vocal tracks are detailed and enjoyable on the M-100.  60-day return if you don't like them for some reason. Go for it!

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #12,006 of 23,366
Quote:
Just got the K267s in today, straight of the box they sounded great.  Very little difference between each bass setting.
Going to compare them to the M-100s.  Build quality is great but prefer the sleeker feel of the M-100s.

Looking forward to that comparison!

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #12,009 of 23,366
The K267s sounded great out of the box - I had no expectations as with the M-100s and tI didn't follow the hypetrain until their release, I simply read an article and bought a pair to try as I couldn't see any reviews anywhere.  

So, after comparing them both these are my initial thought and bear in mind, the M-100s have had about 20 hours on them and the AKG prob 3 hours.  

Build quality:
While the K267s are built well, there really is no contest here, the M-100s just feel sturdier, the finishing is more refined like an apple product, no flaws that I can see.  K267s aren't bad, they're actually very good, they're just not on the same level as the V-modas.  The bass control on the K267s feel a little plasticky which I don't like but they don't feel like they will break anytime soon though.

Design:
Subjective I guess, everyone has their own tastes in design, however the sleeker feel of the M-100s means they would be easier to wear out.  If you took both headphones back to the 80s, no one would bat an eyelid at the AKGs (but the men in black may pay you a visit as the V-Modas look like they're from another planet.).  They aren't a very attractive pair of headphones it has to be said, in fact I really don't like the design much.  M-100s on the other hand look fantastic to me, esp in matte black and the little things like angled jack, kevlar cable, etc. are nice.  They also fold down really small which helps with portability.  AKG realyl should have given you a hard case with the RRP on these.

Comfort:
K267s pads are nice and slightly thicker and the cushioned headband is nice as well.  I wasn't one of the ones who found the M-100s particularly uncomfortable but the AKGs are noticeably more comfy.  As you can see the eurcups are different, the AKGs are circular and were more comfy.

Sound:
After trying out the M50s, HD25s, MDR-1R, UE6000 and Momentum among others against the M-100s, I felt while they were all good in their own ways, they never really stood on the same level as the V-Modas.  The AKG K267s are probably the only one of the new batch that in my opinion stands up as a worthy rival to the M-100s.  

I really enjoy the sound from the K267s, they are almost like an M50 with a bit more oomph I would say, better bass definitely, quality and quantity.  I left them on the club bass setting.

Female vocals sound a tad cleaner and clearer on the M-100s, male vocals sound better on the K267s.  Luthor Vandross "dance with my father" felt more engaging on the K267 for example, and just didn't sound right when playing it on the M-100s.  I would say the K267s are ever so slightly warmer in sound, they have better mids and that's what I noticed straight away when comparing.  However, there is such a nice clarity to both headphones it has to be said. The bass on the M-100s is tighter and cleaner whereas it sounds like there is more bass boom on the K267s (not in a bad way).  Both do the bass very well, but in a different manner.  I tried Madonna's "die another day" and both performed well, there was a tad more clarity with the M-100s, you could hear the hand claps and violins more distinctively at the start but the warmth of the sound on the K267s and the bass slam went hand in hand with the track I felt.

I am aware it's an unfair comparison until the K267s have had time to burn in and what not but these are my initial thoughts.

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #12,010 of 23,366
^^^Thanks for this^^^

Its good to keep hearing that the M100 is overall a tad better compared to all those (also great) headphones. Gives me a little more confidence to buy them. :)

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #12,011 of 23,366
So, my replacement pair of VMODA M-100s arrived today.  I cracked open the box, put them on, and noticed that the bass was more prominent.  It had more "boom" and presence than the other pair.  It was good on some tracks and overbearing on others.  I am OK with that because I figure it has some burning in to do in order to settle down and with that in mind, I would be more than happy with the end result.

However, I noticed on the replacement pair that parts of the pads are sticking out from the cup - the part where the pads go in to and under the plastic.  I noticed this in a couple of areas so I grabbed the original pair (the ones with the separated plastic on the end of the headband) and compared.  It was not the same on the original pair.  The pad was nicely tucked in and looked professional.  I checked the replacement M-100s to see if I could tuck it in myself and I could, but the slightest bit of pressure caused it to untuck.  I then checked the original M-100s and the earpads would not untuck from underneath the plastic no matter what...though I did not use a great deal of force to pry it out, it was a LOT more pressure than the new pair required.

So I've made a 2nd RMA with Amazon and should have another set here tomorrow.  I've never had this kind of issue with headphones before and am kind of shocked that it is happening with VMODAs.  I've heard of their rigorous quality assurance standards so I'm hoping it is just bad luck and the third pair is good to go.  <fingers crossed>

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #12,012 of 23,366
Quote:
So, my replacement pair of VMODA M-100s arrived today.  I cracked open the box, put them on, and noticed that the bass was more prominent.  It had more "boom" and presence than the other pair.  It was good on some tracks and overbearing on others.  I am OK with that because I figure it has some burning in to do in order to settle down and with that in mind, I would be more than happy with the end result.

However, I noticed on the replacement pair that parts of the pads are sticking out from the cup - the part where the pads go in to and under the plastic.  I noticed this in a couple of areas so I grabbed the original pair (the ones with the separated plastic on the end of the headband) and compared.  It was not the same on the original pair.  The pad was nicely tucked in and looked professional.  I checked the replacement M-100s to see if I could tuck it in myself and I could, but the slightest bit of pressure caused it to untuck.  I then checked the original M-100s and the earpads would not untuck from underneath the plastic no matter what...though I did not use a great deal of force to pry it out, it was a LOT more pressure than the new pair required.

So I've made a 2nd RMA with Amazon and should have another set here tomorrow.  I've never had this kind of issue with headphones before and am kind of shocked that it is happening with VMODAs.  I've heard of their rigorous quality assurance standards so I'm hoping it is just bad luck and the third pair is good to go.  <fingers crossed>

As much as I am a huge fan of V-Moda, I believe we have only heard of V-Moda's famed rigorous quality assurance standards from, well.....V-Moda
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #12,013 of 23,366
Quote:
As much as I am a huge fan of V-Moda, I believe we have only heard of V-Moda's famed rigorous quality assurance standards from, well.....V-Moda
evil_smiley.gif

I've read it on here from people who probably heard it from V-Moda, so that's probably true. :)

I just got an e-mail from Amazon that wasn't automated asking for more details and stating that the issue would be forwarded to the inventory team to help ensure it's not anything more than an isolated issue. 

As much as I like the M-100s, if the third one isn't as it should be, I will have to give them some more time to iron out quality issues and pick them up later on down the road or find a suitable alternative.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #12,014 of 23,366
Quote:

Before you exchange it again, if you didn't do so already, did you check to make sure the earpads are in the correct direction? There is an orientation to the earpad as I explained in a previous post, and this photo:

If that circled part is at the bottom of the M-100's earcup (the way it's supposed to be), the earpad should be able to just be "snapped" into place. If that circled part is at the top of the M-100's earcup (this orientation is incorrect), the earpad will create a gap in the seal from what I understand from your description, and it will definitely take a ton of effort to get the whole earpad under all of the plastic tabs.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #12,015 of 23,366
Quote:

I've read it on here from people who probably heard it from V-Moda, so that's probably true. :)

I just got an e-mail from Amazon that wasn't automated asking for more details and stating that the issue would be forwarded to the inventory team to help ensure it's not anything more than an isolated issue. 

As much as I like the M-100s, if the third one isn't as it should be, I will have to give them some more time to iron out quality issues and pick them up later on down the road or find a suitable alternative.

Sorry to hear about your experience.  I am one of the first M-100 owners as I was in on the first preorder and I have had zero quality issues, no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back