V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #5,491 of 23,366
Quote:
That's because most bassy headphones are lacking in mid-range and highs.  If there is a little extra, but clean punch, to the bass while maintaining well defined mids and highs the bass should not detract from the ability of the headphones to support gaming.  If the bass drowns out the other sounds, then yes, the M-100 will not be ideal for FPS games.

My point is - We have no specifics on how the M-100s are tuned, how they perform in different scenarios, or how they will compare to other headphones.  Until that time the only thing you can do is assume how you think they will perform.  Maybe you end up being right, maybe not, but either way their (in)ability to support gaming is not a fact at this point in time.

^^ +1, I personally use my Shure SRH-940 and they Rock for FPS gaming. Better then my Audio Technica AD-700.   
L3000.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #5,495 of 23,366
I know I'm late to this whole conversation, but a bone vibration mic would be best as I doubt anyone would use the M-100's for gaming. Personally, I use my Crossfades with their mic for my phone (HTC One X) because it's easier to hear people plus the microphone is better. I'd like to assume that's what most people would use the mic on these for.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #5,496 of 23,366
Don't mention airplanes, they will want noice cancelling next!

Haha I actually wouldn't mind having a quality NC can from V-MODA since my daily commute is on the train. That said, it's difficult to find one that has both excellent NC + excellent high-end SQ. it would be a very innovative move if V-MODA came out with a top quality NC can. I can imagine a QC15/PSB killer or at least competitor. One can only dream.

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #5,497 of 23,366
Quote:
Don't mention airplanes, they will want noice cancelling next!

How about a separate noise-cancelling cable? You sacrifice the sound quality somewhat, but at least you can hear the music on the plane. Not to mention the fact that regular fliers damage their ears on planes due to the constant drone, it would fit well with the "Ear Armour" ethos of V-moda. 

I have a separate little bag which holds all the stuff I need for flights (I fly a lot). I have some noise cancelling headphones in there as well as converters to the double pin format (so I can watch films on flights with my noise cancelling headphones). It would be great to add a noise-cancelling audio cable that could be hot-swapped into my M-100s.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #5,499 of 23,366
Quote:
I know I'm late to this whole conversation, but a bone vibration mic would be best as I doubt anyone would use the M-100's for gaming. Personally, I use my Crossfades with their mic for my phone (HTC One X) because it's easier to hear people plus the microphone is better. I'd like to assume that's what most people would use the mic on these for.

Already suggested :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/5385#post_8637269

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #5,500 of 23,366
Quote:

How about a separate noise-cancelling cable? You sacrifice the sound quality somewhat, but at least you can hear the music on the plane. Not to mention the fact that regular fliers damage their ears on planes due to the constant drone, it would fit well with the "Ear Armour" ethos of V-moda. 

I have a separate little bag which holds all the stuff I need for flights (I fly a lot). I have some noise cancelling headphones in there as well as converters to the double pin format (so I can watch films on flights with my noise cancelling headphones). It would be great to add a noise-cancelling audio cable that could be hot-swapped into my M-100s.

Are separate NC cables possible? Doesn't the headphone itself need an internal mic to cancel out the noise? Or would that somehow be on the cable itself? If that's possible, count me in!

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #5,501 of 23,366
Quote:
Are separate NC cables possible? Doesn't the headphone itself need an internal mic to cancel out the noise? Or would that somehow be on the cable itself? If that's possible, count me in!

There would have to be a mic near the top of the cable close to the headphone itself.  Even then, I don't have the expertise to know if it is possible, I just know the noise cancelling works with mics carefully placed around the headphone that send an opposing signal based on external sound input to, in theory, cancel out the incoming sound.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #5,502 of 23,366
Yep that's all I know too. A cable for very effective NC would be the end-all be-all for me. If I can use an M-100 with NC capability if I wanted to...? That, in my mind, would be a game-changer.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #5,503 of 23,366
Haha I actually wouldn't mind having a quality NC can from V-MODA since my daily commute is on the train. That said, it's difficult to find one that has both excellent NC + excellent high-end SQ. it would be a very innovative move if V-MODA came out with a top quality NC can. I can imagine a QC15/PSB killer or at least competitor. One can only dream.

FWIR, top-quality SQ and NC are mutually exclusive... There may be a great sounding NC headphone I haven't heard, but I believe all NC headphones are inherently limited because the NC "feature" works by using a mic to detect external sound waves and the driver produces a cosine wave of that sound to cancel it out, so any time a noise is close to something in the music or a little note nuance, you'll have a hole in what you're meant to hear in whatever you were playing.

Now granted, NC headphones don't cancel out everything around you and the cosine wave may not be amplitude-matched to fully cancel out the sound, but still I feel like the sacrifice keeps NC headphones from attaining high-end SQ. Feel free to prove me wrong. Meanwhile, if noise isolation is paramount, then in-ear monitors do a better job isolating than any NC model. V-MODA has a few of these I believe.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #5,504 of 23,366
I do have some Etys but I prefer headphones overall. Anyway, that explanation is all the more reason I think companies should push harder and come out with something that has great NC as well as SQ. I believe it may take a lot of time yes, and I also believe it's not entirely impossible to have those two things. A lot of testing and engineering would have to be involved. Again, one can only dream right?

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #5,505 of 23,366
I was just hoping swapping out the noise-cancelling part would be easy and painless, instead of always-on like the Beats.

EDIT: I actually tend to use noise-cancelling just to filter out background noise on planes, without any music playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back