V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #5,461 of 23,366
Quote:
My opinion is that you think too highly of your opinion.  Just because you aren't a gamer doesn't mean they don't exist.

Seriously though, Sennheiser's PC 350/360 headphones have proven that gamers will spend money on high quality headphones so clearly there is demand. 

if all you are gonna do is game with them.. than that is so pointless

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #5,462 of 23,366
Quote:
if all you are gonna do is game with them.. than that is so pointless

If you don't play games, how would you know if it is pointless or not?  Several games have amazing soundtracks and sounds effects; Dead Space 2, Black Ops, etc.

It is ignorant to have such a strong opinion of something that you know nothing about. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #5,463 of 23,366
Quote:

If you don't play games, how would you know if it is pointless or not?  Several games have amazing soundtracks and sounds effects; Dead Space 2, Black Ops, etc.

It is ignorant to have such a strong opinion of something that you know nothing about. 

I think what he means is they may not be good for competetive gaming. PC350/360's are praised by gamers because they offer an edge over typical headphones
If I were playing a round of CS or CoD, I'd pick up the HD598's over my V-Moda's, by a mile.

Edit: If I were more of a casual gamer, then I'd prolly be content with the M-100's too

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #5,464 of 23,366
Seems relevant:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/22/sennheiser-anti-counterfeit-china/

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #5,465 of 23,366
Quote:

man stop putting words into my mouth, i am not being ignorant, clearly you don't even see the point. there are specialized headphones for games. I dont understand why you are being so hostile

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #5,466 of 23,366
Para,

I was not calling you ignorant, but I am an avid gamer and would love to be able to buy one set of really good headphones that can be used for music, movies, and pc/console gaming. I felt your posts sounded very snooty and implied that gamers don't have a need for audiophile-grade cans. There is no harm in letting Val know that there is a demand for a detachable boom mic accessory.

No hard feelings here.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #5,467 of 23,366
Quote:
I think what he means is they may not be good for competetive gaming. PC350/360's are praised by gamers because they offer an edge over typical headphones
If I were playing a round of CS or CoD, I'd pick up the HD598's over my V-Moda's, by a mile.

Edit: If I were more of a casual gamer, then I'd prolly be content with the M-100's too

That was my point as well -- not that games and gamers are unimportant, and not that V-Moda should always focus on mobile and home audio use and nothing else.

If it has been represented accurately so far, this product is not designed specifically for that purpose, so the idea of a gamer's boom mic setup didn't sound relevant to me personally.  Also, the boom mic seemed to run counter to V-Moda's emphasis on fashion (Val's self-professed geek cred notwithstanding).

But that was an inductive conclusion which, from the looks of this thread, seems not to apply to other customers.

It's interesting that he told us about his geek cred when he introduced the concept of the extra mic, and also mentioned gaming himself.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #5,468 of 23,366
Quote:
Also, the boom mic seemed to run counter to V-Moda's emphasis on fashion (Val's self-professed geek cred notwithstanding).

How, what makes you think that?! 
confused.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #5,469 of 23,366
Quote:
That was my point as well -- not that games and gamers are unimportant, and not that V-Moda should always focus on mobile and home audio use and nothing else.

If it has been represented accurately so far, this product is not designed specifically for that purpose, so the idea of a gamer's boom mic setup didn't sound relevant to me personally.  Also, the boom mic seemed to run counter to V-Moda's emphasis on fashion (Val's self-professed geek cred notwithstanding).

But that was an inductive conclusion which, from the looks of this thread, seems not to apply to other customers.

It's interesting that he told us about his geek cred when he introduced the concept of the extra mic, and also mentioned gaming himself.

It's also worth mentioning that he brought up a partnership with Gamestop at some point.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #5,470 of 23,366
M-100 BACK ON TOPIC - SPECIAL PRODUCT WILL BE INCLUDED 

A surprise add-on accessory is going to be included in these pre-orders only.  I can't elaborate right now, but you can probably guess going forward.  What I want to know now is, what do you consider the best microphone in the world on a headset?  For gaming, communication, video recording, broadcast, singing or Skype?

I have benchmarks now but I want your input... M-100 was built for versatility. 

I've tried a number of casual mics, from Xbox chat-only headsets, a cheap gaming headset, adapted cell-phone wired mics, the built-in mic from my Mac laptops... Lately I've found that lapel mics are awesome, because they're super cheap, you can use them with any headphone, and they sit out of the way of your breath. The only thing, of course, is that it's an extra wire.

I haven't been able to use my LP's mic with a phone, cuz I don't have a smartphone, but I like the idea that with different wires the mic becomes optional. I realize iPhones and Androids are very popular, I just can't afford one at the moment.

As far as mic tech, I don't have knowledge about that, just that condenser mics are above average and foam helps to cut wind noise, and the difference between a shotgun mic and omnidirectional mic and which I would use when shooting a movie :3

Edit: in case you wanted actual brands, I liked my Platronics headsets, and my new lapel mics are "Neewer" brand from amazon seller BestDealUSA. I also think its easier to make headsets for PC (and DJing?), Xbox is particularly hard because game sound comes out from the back of the console, and the mic can only be plugged into the controller. PC gaming is only just starting to get popular again... hopefully the next gen of game consoles makes headset/headphone audio less challenging.

Also, you asked if a M-100 + VAMP would provide more entertainment over two (I think) years than a Retina MBP... For me a good computer = work tools to make money to buy toys & support entertainment, + entertainment device. Why not budget for both, making sure the computer ends up paying for both?

Love that the M-100 was built for versatility and that you crowd-sourced (mob sourced?) ideas for them! I enjoyed your questions and thinking up ideas for the product, someday I'll have to make that kind of work my career.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #5,471 of 23,366
Quote:
M-100 BACK ON TOPIC - SPECIAL PRODUCT WILL BE INCLUDED 

A surprise add-on accessory is going to be included in these pre-orders only.  I can't elaborate right now, but you can probably guess going forward.  What I want to know now is, what do you consider the best microphone in the world on a headset?  For gaming, communication, video recording, broadcast, singing or Skype?

I have benchmarks now but I want your input... M-100 was built for versatility. 

Coming at it from a gaming angle I've tried a lot of headsets and found the AntLion ModMic (add on boom mic) to work very well.  I personally like it much better than the Zalman clip on mic which is often recommended on various forums.  The Razer Carcharias actually has a very good mic on it too for PC use.  It doesn't work well with the Astro wireless mixamp for some reason though.

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #5,472 of 23,366
What did I learn in Kindergarten?

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #5,475 of 23,366
Quote:
Cool!

Is that the plug end that connects to the source, not the headphone?

This is a pic of shadow's "shareplayTM" cable that is included. It is the long cable that goes from source to headphone and allows another headphone to be plugged into it if you wish.

SpeakEasy 1-button cable

Shadow
White silver
Matte black
Cable color
Black
Cool grey 8c/11c
Orange 1595C

SharePlay cable

Shadow
White silver
Matte black
Cable color
Black + Red
Cool grey 8c/11c
Black

PS - played "guess the pantone" with a designer the other day, we were even at reds but I won at oranges and blues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back