V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 17, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #22,981 of 23,366
Finally, some 3rd party XL pads for the M-100! They're from a company named ITIS(strange name), and there aren't any reviews on Amazon, but I would love to get some impressions if anyone takes the dive.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-XL-V-MODA-Crossfade-Headphones/dp/B01N1ORYIW/

Edit: Company is named It Is, not ITIS. Still strange.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #22,982 of 23,366
Finally, some 3rd party XL pads for the M-100! They're from a company named ITIS(strange name), and there aren't any reviews on Amazon, but I would love to get some impressions if anyone takes the dive.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-XL-V-MODA-Crossfade-Headphones/dp/B01N1ORYIW/

Edit: Company is named It Is, not ITIS. Still strange.

They look a lil diff material-wise.. i just got new xl pads tho or i would have. Their description is a cop/paste of vmodas haha

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #22,983 of 23,366
I stand by my statement that Tidal hi-fi is the best way to drive these. Any less than lossless and these feel underutilized. They're more transparent than most people realize, and I can clearly hear the difference between Apple Music and Tidal.

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #22,984 of 23,366
I stand by my statement that Tidal hi-fi is the best way to drive these. Any less than lossless and these feel underutilized. They're more transparent than most people realize, and I can clearly hear the difference between Apple Music and Tidal.

Tidal Masters sounds even better, even if you don't have a MQA enabled DAC.

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #22,985 of 23,366
Tidal Masters sounds even better, even if you don't have a MQA enabled DAC.

Was actually just coming back to post that. Coldplay's "Adventure of a Lifetime" sounds so detailed and nuanced with the M-100 in Master quality. I've heard that song hundreds of times, many of those with lossless files, and I can pick up new nuances in every aspect of the track with the Master version.

I think the M-100 may be more transparent than the Momentum. Honestly I think to get really amazing sound out of the M-100 it needs lossless files, AAC are just about adequate but the M-100 aren't as forgiving with compression as some users might think until they hear how lossless files sound on them.

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #22,986 of 23,366
It's really amazing what MQA sounds like, regardless of what people think is really going on. I can't wait until Audioquest releases the MQA update for the Dragonfly so I can fully experience what it brings to the music.

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #22,987 of 23,366
It's really amazing what MQA sounds like, regardless of what people think is really going on. I can't wait until Audioquest releases the MQA update for the Dragonfly so I can fully experience what it brings to the music.

I've never tried using an amp since my MacBook Pro's DAC can already get uncomfortably loud at 50% volume with the headphones I do have. Still not a believer in amps for low-powered headphones, but I guess I have to try for myself to see what I might be missing.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #22,988 of 23,366
I've never tried using an amp since my MacBook Pro's DAC can already get uncomfortably loud at 50% volume with the headphones I do have. Still not a believer in amps for low-powered headphones, but I guess I have to try for myself to see what I might be missing.

Only two of my dozen or so headphones require an amp to shine, but every single one of them sounds better through a dedicated DAC/amp whether it be the analog distortion of the Aune T1's tube-based DAC buffer or the digital crispness of the Dragonfly Red.

I've recently started carrying the V-MODA Vamp Verza again and have made a few of my friends' eyes pop out of their heads with some Tidal streams of songs they thought they knew.

Macs have decent DACs, but a dedicated DAC might surprise you much like one's first listen of MQA. Don't knock it till you try it.

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #22,989 of 23,366
try boom 2! Don't activate the volume booster but just use the equalizer and enjoy the sound you will get! Night and day with and without

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #22,990 of 23,366
try boom 2! Don't activate the volume booster but just use the equalizer and enjoy the sound you will get! Night and day with and without

I have tried it on a few occasions! Creating a bass boost EQ provides an incredible amount of bass, even if pushing any headphone I've tried too much gives it that "nothing but bass" sound Beats was infamous for. It's a great equalizer.

lol The volume booster could probably cause immediate hearing loss, the M-100 get extremely loud on my Mac already.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #22,991 of 23,366
Hey guys. I just purchased the V-Moda M100's and a Fiio E10K AMP/DAC. What should I do from there to get the best possible audio quality?

Thanks! 

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #22,994 of 23,366
  Hey guys. I just purchased the V-Moda M100's and a Fiio E10K AMP/DAC. What should I do from there to get the best possible audio quality?

Thanks! 

A Tidal HiFi subscription is a good place to start. Barring the $20 a month fee, just feed it the highest resolution files you can afford. The M-100 are more resolving than people realize.

Use software that won't use Windows resampling so you get bit-perfect playback. foobar 2000 or JRiver Media Center will allow you to do this, although there may be others I'm unaware of.

Here's a crazy one. Get this cable. You don't have to do it right away. Spend some time with the M-100s, get to know how they sound, and if you start to yearn for more you can try a $19 experiment. I have a detailed review of the cable here.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #22,995 of 23,366
  A Tidal HiFi subscription is a good place to start. Barring the $20 a month fee, just feed it the highest resolution files you can afford. The M-100 are more resolving than people realize.

Use software that won't use Windows resampling so you get bit-perfect playback. foobar 2000 or JRiver Media Center will allow you to do this, although there may be others I'm unaware of.

Here's a crazy one. Get this cable. You don't have to do it right away. Spend some time with the M-100s, get to know how they sound, and if you start to yearn for more you can try a $19 experiment. I have a detailed review of the cable here.

@m3t4lm4n222 I cant even use my m-100 without that cable anymore, it makes a difference, especially when amped.   They can take more power than that amp can dish out, so you don't have to worry about harming anything with it.  And the m-100 isn't power hungry, so you don't need to feed it a lot either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back