V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 31, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #22,951 of 23,366

Seems pretty weird to me. A few months ago I went to my local hi-fi shop and tested out a lot of different headphones with my portable rig. The Momentum 2.0 gave me a bunch of driver distortion with my extreme setup. Now, of course, that wasn't quite as bad as bottoming out with the beat and going, "Snap, crackle, pop," as the Beats Studio Wireless (and Sennheiser HD 650) did, but,...oh well!

Now, I didn't try the Momentum 2.0 with my EQ and bass boosts all turned off, so maybe next time, I can compare the Momentum's sound to my M-100s that way, and see whether the Momentum has more sub-bass sensitivity than the M-100 or not. I doubt it does, but I can try and see next time. But one thing that's obvious is,...the power handling and X-max of the Momentum's drivers...just can't cut it if you're doing extreme EQ'ing and amping.

As I like to say, if you're doing extreme EQ'ing and amping, then............Beats can't handle the beat, and Senns can't handle the sound.  
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Have you made any iTunes presets you could post? You seem to be the expert on here for it. 
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #22,952 of 23,366
Have you made any iTunes presets you could post? You seem to be the expert on here for it. 
wink.gif

I haven't made any iTunes presets, just Rockbox ones. The iTunes EQ only has a range of +12 dB to -12, and no parametrics.

The Rockbox EQ has a huge range of +24 dB to -24, with parametrics, and with a separate bass-boost feature of +12 dB that's totally separate from the EQ, and can be combined with it.

Check out the video and article links in my "anniversary" post for more details!

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #22,953 of 23,366

I haven't made any iTunes presets, just Rockbox ones. The iTunes EQ only has a range of +12 dB to -12, and no parametrics.

The Rockbox EQ has a huge range of +24 dB to -24, with parametrics, and with a separate bass-boost feature of +12 dB that's totally separate from the EQ, and can be combined with it.

Check out the video and article links in my "anniversary" post for more details!

Unfortunately I don't have an iPod to test your Rockbox EQ's :frowning2:. You should try to track down Val at one of the trade shows though.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #22,954 of 23,366
I sent in my M100 about a month ago.  I just talked to V moda and they said my cables were bad so they rep,aced it.  They said the headphones themselves were okay.  They said this last time I sent them in for the same thing so we will see.  I will keep an open mind and give them a chance.

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #22,955 of 23,366
I got my M100 back yesterday evening.  V-Moda gave me a new super long audio only cable.  When I connect it to my laptop it keeps saying randomly unplugged audio device and cutting out sound.  What is the problem here?  I tried the new Single button cable and it sounds very hollow unless I hold the button down all of the time.  This only happens with my laptop with both cables problems.  Is the audio only cable so long that it takes too long to recognize the audio signal so my laptop thinks it is disconnected?  These problems only occur on my laptop.  I checked my audio drivers on my laptop and they are all up to date.  I tried my X5 and my new desktop computer and had no issues.  My Shure SE846 and other iems do not do this on my laptop.  What  is the problem and how do I fix it?

Update-  After further testing the 1 button cable it sounds fine when the 45 degree jack is plugged into the headphone ear cup and the straight plug is in my laptop headphone out.  It just sounds hollow when I connect it properly to the headphone and the laptop.  When I press the single button when it is properly connected it sounds as it should normally.  It only sounds very hollow and thin and cavernous when I do not press the button when connected properly.  Is the 1 button cable defective?  It is fine out of my desktop computer and my Fiio X5 original when connected normally.  I have had similar happen with V-Moda cables with buttons and a mic.  I do not use a mic so I prefer audio only cables.

Update 2- Both cables are getting a device disconnected signal on my laptop and cutout until the the device connected pops back up.    I have checked for new audio drivers for my laptop and my driver is current.  I have also checked settings and everything looks normal.  I have checked audio out for problems and it finds no problems
Thank you

Riley

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #22,956 of 23,366
  I got my M100 back yesterday evening.  V-Moda gave me a new super long audio only cable.  When I connect it to my laptop it keeps saying randomly unplugged audio device and cutting out sound.  What is the problem here?  I tried the new Single button cable and it sounds very hollow unless I hold the button down all of the time.  This only happens with my laptop with both cables problems.  Is the audio only cable so long that it takes too long to recognize the audio signal so my laptop thinks it is disconnected?  These problems only occur on my laptop.  I checked my audio drivers on my laptop and they are all up to date.  I tried my X5 and my new desktop computer and had no issues.  My Shure SE846 and other iems do not do this on my laptop.  What  is the problem and how do I fix it?

Update-  After further testing the 1 button cable it sounds fine when the 45 degree jack is plugged into the headphone ear cup and the straight plug is in my laptop headphone out.  It just sounds hollow when I connect it properly to the headphone and the laptop.  When I press the single button when it is properly connected it sounds as it should normally.  It only sounds very hollow and thin and cavernous when I do not press the button when connected properly.  Is the 1 button cable defective?  It is fine out of my desktop computer and my Fiio X5 original when connected normally.  I have had similar happen with V-Moda cables with buttons and a mic.  I do not use a mic so I prefer audio only cables.

Update 2- Both cables are getting a device disconnected signal on my laptop and cutout until the the device connected pops back up.    I have checked for new audio drivers for my laptop and my driver is current.  I have also checked settings and everything looks normal.  I have checked audio out for problems and it finds no problems
Thank you

Riley

Now that's a conundrum.. Have you tried any non v-moda cables to see if it replicates the experience with the headphones? Or using the v-moda cables with other headphones to be sure?

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #22,957 of 23,366
Sounds like a TRRS incompatibility. Have you tried flipping the long cable as well?

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #22,958 of 23,366

Now that's a conundrum.. Have you tried any non v-moda cables to see if it replicates the experience with the headphones? Or using the v-moda cables with other headphones to be sure?

I have tried 4 different V-Moda cables and all of them come up as plugged in and unplugged randomly.  Usually quite often the first few plug ins when my laptop is on then it finally stops after a few plug ins and the laptop has been on for a while.  I don't have any other headphones I can try at the moment.  My LPs died a while back and I need to send them in for the immortal life program.  Only the M100 disconnects like this my iems including my Shure's do not do this with my devices.  The mic problem is definitely the cable is bad.  The mic cables don't last very long from my experience.  My 3 button cable also does the same thing when I tested it a while back with my laptop as far as the hollow sound and needing to press the buttons to get a decent sound  It also does exhibit the same disconnect problem as all other V-Moda cables.   All of my Dell laptops I have had have had this problem.  My new Dell Desktop does not have this problem with any cable at all.  My old Dell desktop is in for repair and it has been in for about 6 months so I can't even remember anything about it.  The metal part of the plug on my Shure SE846 is less than a mm longer than any of the V-moda plugs.  The poles appear to be the same.  Both ends of the V-Moda cables are that little bit different than the Shure cable, but when I flip the 1 button cable it works fine sound wise, but both cables still disconnect and connect the same.

Sounds like a TRRS incompatibility. Have you tried flipping the long cable as well?

Yes I have flipped both cables.  It does improve with both 1 button and long cables as far as disconnecting from the laptop goes.  The 1 button sounds fine when it is flipped and does not sound thin and hollow and the button does not make it sound different this way.  The problem is when it is connected properly only as far as the sound quality goes.  I just called V-Moda and they are sending me a new cable of some kind.  They wouldn't say which.  No big deal.  The long audio only cable sounds fine when connected properly except for the unplugged from audio jack and plugged in to audio jack problem.  It is really bizarre and perplexing.

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #22,959 of 23,366
  (Removed text as It can be read above)

That's nuts, I use a 3rd party cable which has been working fine for me and haven't had a use for either v-moda cable in months.. So I haven't had any issues.. I was under the impression people loved the V-moda cables for their durability and consistency, oh well.. Plenty of cable in the sea my friend, maybe its time to steer from the v-moda ones..

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #22,960 of 23,366
  That's nuts, I use a 3rd party cable which has been working fine for me and haven't had a use for either v-moda cable in months.. So I haven't had any issues.. I was under the impression people loved the V-moda cables for their durability and consistency, oh well.. Plenty of cable in the sea my friend, maybe its time to steer from the v-moda ones..

V-Moda is sending me another cable.  I will see if it works.  I am not holding my breath.  I don't really do the whole after market cable thing.  I might just look for new headphones when I can afford it.  It won't be soon.  I have a few iems that still work.  You can read my profile if you are curious which ones.

Cheers

Riley

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #22,961 of 23,366

V-Moda is sending me another cable.  I will see if it works.  I am not holding my breath.  I don't really do the whole after market cable thing.  I might just look for new headphones when I can afford it.  It won't be soon.  I have a few iems that still work.  You can read my profile if you are curious which ones.

Cheers

Riley

Oh nice collection though! I am not one to do this myself, id rather keep the nostalgia and have them collect dust with me but you could easily sell even just 1 of those things to get a nice set!

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #22,962 of 23,366

Oh nice collection though! I am not one to do this myself, id rather keep the nostalgia and have them collect dust with me but you could easily sell even just 1 of those things to get a nice set!

Sadly a few of the iems have died recently.  Including my Westone 3  I don't really have a way to sell stuff online.  Nobody in my are wants this kind of stuff.  I am in a fairly rural area so nobody I know around here is into audio as much as I am. I don't have credit cards or a bank account so I have no way to accept money like that.I also am very guarded about selling online anyway.  It just makes me very nervous.

Cheers

Riley

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #22,963 of 23,366

Sadly a few of the iems have died recently.  Including my Westone 3  I don't really have a way to sell stuff online.  Nobody in my are wants this kind of stuff.  I am in a fairly rural area so nobody I know around here is into audio as much as I am. I don't have credit cards or a bank account so I have no way to accept money like that.I also am very guarded about selling online anyway.  It just makes me very nervous.

Cheers

Riley

Understandable.

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #22,964 of 23,366
None of my cables for my M100 work with any of my computers now.  It pops up as connected, but will not play sound through them  Computers will only play sound through the speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

Riley

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #22,965 of 23,366
  None of my cables for my M100 work with any of my computers now.  It pops up as connected, but will not play sound through them  Computers will only play sound through the speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

Riley

If it works on everything else, it's gonna be your 3.5 jack on your computer.  Seems kind of obvious doesn't it?  Just a compatibility issue.  It's not going to be drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back