V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 21, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #22,996 of 23,366
  A Tidal HiFi subscription is a good place to start. Barring the $20 a month fee, just feed it the highest resolution files you can afford. The M-100 are more resolving than people realize.

Use software that won't use Windows resampling so you get bit-perfect playback. foobar 2000 or JRiver Media Center will allow you to do this, although there may be others I'm unaware of.

Here's a crazy one. Get this cable. You don't have to do it right away. Spend some time with the M-100s, get to know how they sound, and if you start to yearn for more you can try a $19 experiment. I have a detailed review of the cable here.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up. Something somewhat unrelated - I installed the XL Pads on my V-Modas and they seem to all be snapped in placed, I can see the retention clips, but some of the leather is warped around the clips. Normal? They seem to be held in place just fine. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #22,997 of 23,366
  Sweet, thanks for the heads up. Something somewhat unrelated - I installed the XL Pads on my V-Modas and they seem to all be snapped in placed, I can see the retention clips, but some of the leather is warped around the clips. Normal? They seem to be held in place just fine. 

Do you mean that the leather is pinched underneath the clips? Can you provide a picture?

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #22,998 of 23,366
I unfortunately don't have a camera good enough to capture it. Basically, the plastic area of the pads that clips into the headphone has leather on it. When clipped in, the leather warped around the plastic clips/retention that hold the pads in. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #23,000 of 23,366
  I unfortunately don't have a camera good enough to capture it. Basically, the plastic area of the pads that clips into the headphone has leather on it. When clipped in, the leather warped around the plastic clips/retention that hold the pads in. 

Ive had 3 sets of XL pads for my headphones since I had them. I have had that on all 3, never experienced any issues at all. You should be fine.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #23,001 of 23,366
  Ive had 3 sets of XL pads for my headphones since I had them. I have had that on all 3, never experienced any issues at all. You should be fine.

Well, just as I thought everything was going well, I recently noticed some pain on my right ear after only wearing the phones for a couple hours. I took them off and looked at them and noticed the right ear pad seems to have deflated or lost cushion over the past 3-4 days and it's causing my ear to actually rub against the driver.

It's really disappointing because I really love the sound, especially with the XL pads. I can wear the normal pads, but they simply rest on my ears and they also become uncomfortable over time. 

I've been having a hell of a time finding the right headphones for me. I've gone from the K240's, decided I wanted more, got the Fidelio X2's, was disappointed with the bass response, got the M100's, absolutely love the sound but I am not running into comfort ability issues. 

I need to find a pair of cans with good bass and an automatically adjusting headband. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #23,002 of 23,366
  Well, just as I thought everything was going well, I recently noticed some pain on my right ear after only wearing the phones for a couple hours. I took them off and looked at them and noticed the right ear pad seems to have deflated or lost cushion over the past 3-4 days and it's causing my ear to actually rub against the driver.

It's really disappointing because I really love the sound, especially with the XL pads. I can wear the normal pads, but they simply rest on my ears and they also become uncomfortable over time. 

I've been having a hell of a time finding the right headphones for me. I've gone from the K240's, decided I wanted more, got the Fidelio X2's, was disappointed with the bass response, got the M100's, absolutely love the sound but I am not running into comfort ability issues. 

I need to find a pair of cans with good bass and an automatically adjusting headband. 

Yeah Mine deflate too, but I feel like once they got smaller I did get better sound. My ears aren't that small, but they don't (not sure how to explain it) ..they don't 'wing outwards?' I wear mine for hours for music then plug them in my xbox controller and game for hours, they are great for my comfort.

The Sennheiser momentum 2 over ear is on sale on amazon right now. I think they are going around $240-260.. from what I understand they are a really good sounding set as well, and now that they aren't $400+.. more viable transition from m100 cost..

edit: plus you can see just in pics.. the stock ear pads are even deeper than the XL off the bat, with a larger opening.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #23,004 of 23,366
Call me crazy, I like the Philips L2 better than the m100.
ok, I'll call you crazy. I had them. Couldn't get over the ear piercing highs. Returned them and picked up the Edition S to handle the same function. Of course I'm joking though, as we all respond to sound differently. Of you enjoy the L2, good for you, as I did feel the mid to lower frequencies were displayed nicely, for the price. My M100 have a purpose (portable can for hip hop, other non instrument based music) and they handle it very well. To each his own

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #23,005 of 23,366
Call me crazy, I like the Philips L2 better than the m100.
ok, I'll call you crazy. I had them. Couldn't get over the ear piercing highs. Returned them and picked up the Edition S to handle the same function. Of course I'm joking though, as we all respond to sound differently. Of you enjoy the L2, good for you, as I did feel the mid to lower frequencies were displayed nicely, for the price. My M100 have a purpose (portable can for hip hop, other non instrument based music) and they handle it very well. To each his own

The presentation of the L2 is more intimate. And it doesn't lack bass, it hits deeeep.

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #23,006 of 23,366
I have 2 problems with the M100.

1- The top of the inside of the earcups put a sharp painful pressure on the tops of my ears on the upper part of my ear

2- The static discharge I get all of the time and V-Moda not fixing this issue with not just the pair I send in, but others I have read about

I wonder if this is why V-Moda has quit coming out with new wired headphones for the time being except for the Wireless M100

Cheers

Riley

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #23,007 of 23,366

The X2's sound literally gave me headaches. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #23,008 of 23,366
Feb 27, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #23,009 of 23,366

If you're ok with semi-open headphones, the nighthawks are awesome and incredibly comfortable. Actually, the new nightowls are closed versions if that's important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back