V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 27, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #23,011 of 23,366
I wonder if this is why V-Moda has quit coming out with new wired headphones for the time being except for the Wireless M100

Cheers

Riley

Looking at the timeline of their headphone releases tells a much different story. Discounting a half dozen or so IEMs ranging from $20 to $200 and starting with the Crossfade LP, their first over ear headphone, reveals a history of yearly releases from them:

2010 Crossfade LP
2011 Crossfade LP2
2011 Crossfade M-80/V-80
2012 Crossfade M-100
2014 XS
2015 Zn
2015 Crossfade Wireless
2016 Forza/Forza Metallo
2017 Forza Metallo Wireless

Before they were acquired by Roland late last year V-MODA was a pretty small company. From their release schedule it appears like a company working on one product at a time and the build and durability of their headphones is a testament of that work.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #23,012 of 23,366
Looking at the timeline of their headphone releases tells a much different story. Discounting a half dozen or so IEMs ranging from $20 to $200 and starting with the Crossfade LP, their first over ear headphone, reveals a history of yearly releases from them:

2010 Crossfade LP
2011 Crossfade LP2
2011 Crossfade M-80/V-80
2012 Crossfade M-100
2014 XS
2015 Zn
2015 Crossfade Wireless
2016 Forza/Forza Metallo
2017 Forza Metallo Wireless

Before they were acquired by Roland late last year V-MODA was a pretty small company. From their release schedule it appears like a company working on one product at a time and the build and durability of their headphones is a testament of that work.

I should have said that after the M100 V-Moda seemed to slow way down on headphones and kind of shifted back toward earphones with the exception of the wireless M100 and I guess the XS.  As of late it seems they are more focused on earphones the last year or two.Cheers

Riley

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #23,013 of 23,366
I should have said that after the M100 V-Moda seemed to slow way down on headphones and kind of shifted back toward earphones with the exception of the wireless M100 and I guess the XS.  As of late it seems they are more focused on earphones the last year or two.Cheers

Riley
IMO headphones aren't like phones, in that when you feel its done right, you aren't going to refresh it every year just because. The LP for refreshed because they were still tweaking, then made an on ear. Finally felt they got over ear formula fight with m100. Took what they learned there and applied to on ear and released xs. Then they developed in ear. Saw how platform was moving toward wireless options and developed crossfade wireless. I'm sure they are deciding what their next tweak can be, but I'm happy they aren't constantly trying to refresh.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #23,014 of 23,366
IMO headphones aren't like phones, in that when you feel its done right, you aren't going to refresh it every year just because. The LP for refreshed because they were still tweaking, then made an on ear. Finally felt they got over ear formula fight with m100. Took what they learned there and applied to on ear and released xs. Then they developed in ear. Saw how platform was moving toward wireless options and developed crossfade wireless. I'm sure they are deciding what their next tweak can be, but I'm happy they aren't constantly trying to refresh.

I understand where you are coming from.  My point was that the M100 does have its flaws.  I have noticed them on a regular basis.  The M100 suffers from really frequent static discharge and the earcups are not big enough for my ears.  I do not have super large ears.  I figured out that the XL pads will not help me.  The earcups are simply too small.  I get pain on the upper almost top  portion of my ear due to sharp pressure from the plastic of the earcups.  I am now looking for new headphones that are more comfortable and more refined and neutral and less colored.  I realize the size of the earcups being too small for my ears and many others is not fixable unless serious changes are made to the M100.  As far as the static discharge goes I think V-Moda could have figure out some changes in production or something to solve this problem without making any major changes.  I have talked with V-Moda and they seem to refuse to fix this known common issue and they do admit that is a common problem.  It does not make me feel like spending my hard earned money on V-Moda anymore.  v-MOda is the only headphone company I am aware of that has consistent static discharge complaints.  I think they are doing something in production or with material sourcing that needs to be seriously addressed.

Cheers

Riley

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #23,015 of 23,366
@Riley Beale
I think the static is from the metal that sits under the ear pads. I never experience it in the summer, but during the winter months when the air is dry I'll get the occasional shock. The M-80 and XS avoid this because they use plastic behind the ear pad.

As for the pads, you could try to do this mod by @rudeboybass

Looks uber comfortable!

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #23,016 of 23,366
  @Riley Beale
I think the static is from the metal that sits under the ear pads. I never experience it in the summer, but during the winter months when the air is dry I'll get the occasional shock. The M-80 and XS avoid this because they use plastic behind the ear pad.

As for the pads, you could try to do this mod by @rudeboybass

Looks uber comfortable!

Thanks!  I don't really have the skills to mod stuff like that.  That kind of proves my point that the materials used are causing the static.  V-Moda could have changed to a different material and avoided or at least fixed this problem.  They chose not to.  I have the static discharge problem all year around.  A lot of people complain about this problem from what I have read.  I have not had this problem with other headphones that I have had in the past.  Only V-Moda M100 and maybe my LP.  They haven't worked in so long I cannot even remember much.

Cheers

Riley

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #23,017 of 23,366
Another thing that people have done, myself included, is stuffing either tissue paper or ethernet cables underneath the ear pads to help add some depth. The tissue paper is easy to do and it does give you a couple more millimeters of headroom. I never tried the ethernet cable, but since it's more solid it probably won't compress overtime like the tissue does.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #23,018 of 23,366
  Another thing that people have done, myself included, is stuffing either tissue paper or ethernet cables underneath the ear pads to help add some depth. The tissue paper is easy to do and it does give you a couple more millimeters of headroom. I never tried the ethernet cable, but since it's more solid it probably won't compress overtime like the tissue does.

I think the earcups are to small in circumference.  I don't really think depth is the issue I am having.  Thank you though.  You have been very kind and I appreciate your suggestions.  I am looking for a more neutral and detailed sound now in my never ending audio journey.

Thank you

Riley

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #23,019 of 23,366

Good idea. I did that with the original pads and it helped quite a bit. I personally don`t have any need to do it with the XL pads, but it could help others.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #23,020 of 23,366
I think the earcups are to small in circumference.  I don't really think depth is the issue I am having.  Thank you though.  You have been very kind and I appreciate your suggestions.  I am looking for a more neutral and detailed sound now in my never ending audio journey.

Thank you

Riley
Your desired sound signature is understandable. I absolutely will not use my m100 for jazz, blues, classical, oe anything where the instruments are the stars. They sound unnatural. Never experienced any sort of static in the 18mo I've owned them. Now for portable with more ear depth and overall inner dimensions, perhaps you should look into HiFiman edition S. Blood sounding headphones with various genres. Good bass impact, crisp and clear highs. They sound even better after extended burn in time. They are on sale on Amazon right now too, under $200. Good luck with your search

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #23,021 of 23,366
Your desired sound signature is understandable. I absolutely will not use my m100 for jazz, blues, classical, oe anything where the instruments are the stars. They sound unnatural. Never experienced any sort of static in the 18mo I've owned them. Now for portable with more ear depth and overall inner dimensions, perhaps you should look into HiFiman edition S. Blood sounding headphones with various genres. Good bass impact, crisp and clear highs. They sound even better after extended burn in time. They are on sale on Amazon right now too, under $200. Good luck with your search

Thank you for the suggestion.  I get shocked due to static discharge a lot with my M100.  It is getting to be annoying.

Cheers

Riley

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #23,022 of 23,366
I opted to return my M100's. I thought they were great sound wise and build quality wise, but regardless of if I use the stock pads, or XL pads, they're just plain uncomfortable. XL pads were good for the first two days or so, once they deflate, they're just as bad as the stock ones. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #23,023 of 23,366
  I opted to return my M100's. I thought they were great sound wise and build quality wise, but regardless of if I use the stock pads, or XL pads, they're just plain uncomfortable. XL pads were good for the first two days or so, once they deflate, they're just as bad as the stock ones. 

I have the same problem with the regular pads.  I figured out the earcups are just too small for my ears.  The pads probably do not change anything for me.  I figured out I am best off buying different headphones that fit better.  I figured out that because the cups were too small there was no use wasting more money on them buying bigger pads that won't solve my problem.  However I did do some pretty unconventional eq on my Fiio X5 for my M100 and have brought out a lot more detail and made them less warm and bass heavy.  The sound is really good with the new eq I am trying out.  The sound signature of the M100 without eq is very veiled and muddy, but I brought out the detail with eqing the treble and mids way up.  I really like what I am hearing from them now.  Fit is still as bad as ever comfort wise.

Good Luck

Riley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back