V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 27, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #22,621 of 23,366

The M-100 is great; the M-100 with XL pads is greater, and the M-100 driven by the V-MODA VERZA DAC/amp is the greatest!!

VERZA DAC/amp improves M100 significantly (higher numbers are better).

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #22,623 of 23,366
The plates are an awesome way yo add some personal touch to the headphones. Got purple 3d plates with initials on them, and couldn't be happier

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #22,624 of 23,366
Apologies in advance for the noob question. I'm new to high-end headphones. Why did V-Moda (and other manufacturers) use a custom audio jack size at the removable cord? Is it just to force you to buy their wires? Or is there some benefit to using a non standard size jack? I know A LOT of engineering goes into this equipment, so I'm hoping there's a reason.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #22,625 of 23,366
Apologies in advance for the noob question. I'm new to high-end headphones. Why did V-Moda (and other manufacturers) use a custom audio jack size at the removable cord? Is it just to force you to buy their wires? Or is there some benefit to using a non standard size jack? I know A LOT of engineering goes into this equipment, so I'm hoping there's a reason.

V-moda cable is actually a standard 3.5mm on both ends. Only difference is the 3 pole end for the microphone, on the side that plugs into your device. Any 3.5mm cable will fit as long as it isn't too thick around the end

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #22,626 of 23,366
I don't know if it's a good comparison, but I tried plugging to cables in the m100 and to my laptop (it has two aux out). They were louder with two cables, can't tell for the quality tho. I'd have to check if the laptop uses 2 separates amps for the aux out.

EDIT: just realized the m100 comes with a cable than can accommodate an additional aux cable (for sharing your music I guess) so I tested with 2 cables from the same source. No volume boost, and I can't discern a difference in sound.

Source: iPhone 5s unamped
File: 320kbps 44100Hz
Listener: an average guy

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #22,627 of 23,366
No sure about volume boost but when I share music with someone, volume does drop a little bit.

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #22,629 of 23,366
I've noticed a volume drop when I plug a different source into each earcup. According to V-moda, the dual inputs "can be used to mix two sources at the same time". Doesn't work so well in practice.

The reason is the output of each is different, it causes an issue. If the sources both give the same output it will balance better. I utilize this a lot for gaming and my music is always louder than what comes from my xbox controller.. I just adjust each volume level accordingly and it works fine

Jul 1, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #22,630 of 23,366
My phantom chrome M100's are to blingy for the gym. They are also a wee bit heavy on the head. 

So why do I continue using them at the gym? Well, I guess I like bling lol. More importantly though, they are quite comfortable, they isolate very well, the bass is outstanding, and they generally sound awesome.

Fwiw, I'm listening to the M100's off of my Galaxy S5 (and UAPP app) and Zuperdac. Really nice synergy.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #22,631 of 23,366

Although V-moda uses the strongest Wireless Codec, it IS still wireless. In the real world, one WILL experience signal dropouts esp. when using outdoors. The cable should be used for this condition aside from critical listening. The Terminations on both ends are standard. The 3-pole termination goes to your smartphone, etc...

Jul 5, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #22,633 of 23,366
No sure about volume boost but when I share music with someone, volume does drop a little bit.

...Most probably that is a shared volume amp for the (2) lines...

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #22,634 of 23,366
Although V-moda uses the strongest Wireless Codec, it IS still wireless. In the real world, one WILL experience signal dropouts esp. when using outdoors. The cable should be used for this condition aside from critical listening. The Terminations on both ends are standard. The 3-pole termination goes to your smartphone, etc...

Thanks. But I didn't get the wireless. I only use these when I'm sitting at my desk. I have a pair of inexpensive Bluetooth IEMs for when I'm moving around.

I assumed that the two ends of the cable were different because when I reverse the cable and plug the angled end into the ear cup it didn't seem to snap in as tightly.

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #22,635 of 23,366
Thanks. But I didn't get the wireless. I only use these when I'm sitting at my desk. I have a pair of inexpensive Bluetooth IEMs for when I'm moving around.

I assumed that the two ends of the cable were different because when I reverse the cable and plug the angled end into the ear cup it didn't seem to snap in as tightly.

Yeah it is 'skinny' compared to many.. But a lot of third party aux cables will fit. I have a few that fit right in (Velodyne flat cable, auvio (i think thats the spelling) from Radio Shack will fit. Just find ones with the base being slimmer than most. Otherwise, V-Moda cables are quality in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back