V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 12, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #17,461 of 23,366
I got one from them and I also asked them about the warranty. They said they got their order through V-Moda. Your M100 is covered by massdrop for one year. I said on the package it said about 2 years warranty and they replied if it is over one year, you need to contact V-Moda directly.

It still worries me that the SN code are missing on the headphone, box, and little user manual.

I would be very concerned if they removed the serial numbers.  That leads me to believe they purchased them from a distributor that removed the numbers to avoid being caught selling them sideways.  

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #17,462 of 23,366
What do you mean selling it sideway? They said they got the batch from V-moda. I guess I'll have to ask V Moda about it. It does concern me a bit. Fortuantely I picked up another pair on head-fi which was bought from V-moda.

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #17,463 of 23,366
What do you mean selling it sideway? They said they got the batch from V-moda. I guess I'll have to ask V Moda about it. It does concern me a bit. Fortuantely I picked up another pair on head-fi which was bought from V-moda.

If the M100s were legit, they'd have a serial number on it.
My guess is reverse-engineered or very good copies of the M100. Just because someone said something doesn't mean its true. V-MODA have a list of people it's safe to buy from, and sideways isn't on that list. Sorry, but you got scammed, as a serial number is also needed by V-MODA to repair the headphones (they record everything by the SN)

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #17,465 of 23,366

Selling sideways is when dealer A sells bulk product to dealer B for a discount.  Usually dealer B is not an authorized dealer. Dealer A typically does this in order to move more units, sometimes for the purposes of hitting a certain volume of sales that triggers a volume discount.  Dealer A, being an authorized dealer is not supposed to sell to other dealers.  Doing so undermines the control the manufacturer has over where their products are distributed.  Control over distribution has many advantages including greater assurance of a quality customer experience as well as tighter control over unnecessary discounting that leads to the value(price) erosion of their brand or product.  This is because authorized dealers risk losing their dealer status if they provide poor service or unnecessarily discount their products.  This is why dealer A likely removed the serial numbers from the headphones.  If they hadn't, the product could be traced back to dealer A, jeopardizing their dealer status.  Dealer B then sells the product at severe discounts, since they don't have to worry about the repercussions of the manufacturer.      

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #17,467 of 23,366
Massdrop is somewhat of a taboo topic here chaps. Best to move along. PM me, Currawong, and/or Warrenpchi if curious.

[Currawong Edit: Here's the reason: http://head-fi.org/a/group-buys]

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #17,468 of 23,366
Massdrop is somewhat of a taboo topic here chaps. Best to move along. PM me, Currawong, and/or Warrenpchi if curious.

Hilariously, I never even heard of Massdrop until I joined Head-fi. Still haven't visited though. Would much rather either help out a fellow head-fier or the company whom created the product I want. Either by buying direct or from a direct distributor. Always seemed right to do it that way to me. Also in doing so, I'm almost always guaranteed that the product is legitimate. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #17,469 of 23,366
In yout guys' experience, is it just part of normal break-in for these m100s to sound a bit muddled?  Will it brighten up a bit once broken in?

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #17,470 of 23,366
In yout guys' experience, is it just part of normal break-in for these m100s to sound a bit muddled?  Will it brighten up a bit once broken in?

I don't think the M-100's will get brighter. The sound characteristics of M-100's are probably not suited to you since the trebles are rolled off a bit. You could try EQing them to your tastes. If that doesn't work try something like the Amperior. IMHO it's similar to the M-100's but with the trebles and mids much more forward.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #17,471 of 23,366
I don't think the M-100's will get brighter. The sound characteristics of M-100's are probably not suited to you since the trebles are rolled off a bit. You could try EQing them to your tastes. If that doesn't work try something like the Amperior. IMHO it's similar to the M-100's but with the trebles and mids much more forward.

I do have the Amperiors coming in hopefully this week, but probably next week (since I still don't have shipping info), so that should be a good comparison.

I just happen to be at the store yesterday and tried the demo for Sol Republic's Master Tracks (not even the XC version).  In the suite of songs, I noticed how seemingly detailed the song Safe and Sound was.  Well, since I have that track, I figured I'd pop it in through my M-100s when I get home.  It was just seemed so muddied.  Granted, I played mine through my 5th generation iPod touch, while the demo was probably lossless and EQ'd to sound good for their headphones.

But then I tried it through my HD429s and it was still brighter and somewhat more detailed.  Perhaps it's just not music suited for the M-100s.  I guess now I'm looking forward to what it will sound like with the Amperiors.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #17,472 of 23,366
I do have the Amperiors coming in hopefully this week, but probably next week (since I still don't have shipping info), so that should be a good comparison.

I just happen to be at the store yesterday and tried the demo for Sol Republic's Master Tracks (not even the XC version).  In the suite of songs, I noticed how seemingly detailed the song Safe and Sound was.  Well, since I have that track, I figured I'd pop it in through my M-100s when I get home.  It was just seemed so muddied.  Granted, I played mine through my 5th generation iPod touch, while the demo was probably lossless and EQ'd to sound good for their headphones.

But then I tried it through my HD429s and it was still brighter and somewhat more detailed.  Perhaps it's just not music suited for the M-100s.  I guess now I'm looking forward to what it will sound like with the Amperiors.

Good luck! Hope you find what you're looking for.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #17,473 of 23,366
easiest way to get the XL pads in the UK? postage from V-Moda's website is far too expensive

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #17,474 of 23,366

How long have you had your unit?
Maybe you can try a return?
I listened extensively new and after 1200hrs and sound was never as you described and I feel got more better.
Bass less separated and mids clear and less recessed but maybe its the pads?
Anyway it sounds very good regardless just a slight treble edge..

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #17,475 of 23,366

Have you tried using a different audio cable? Some products are incompatible with the microphone cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back