V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #17,011 of 23,366

Lol, you made your post unquotable somehow.

I figured since Mal owns a gazzilion headphones and yet still rates the Q40 pretty high (He must be insane!) It appears I have fallen off the ladder of headphones...but have I? I'm still trying to figure that out. I am giving the Q40 a good workout.

Half that paragraph contradicts the other. If he highs are not harsh and bright how can they be sibilant? I'm searching hard for the sibilance.

And being only 64Ohms...I believe that makes it even more portable and less required of an amp...even though there is an immediate difference in detail between amping and the Q40's seem to require less volume then other headphones through an amp.

I can see where this could be interpreted as contradictory.  However, this is a specific peculiarity of the Q40 that stands out to my ears.  Also, sibilance is not about brightness across the highs, but occurs I believe between 8K-10K hz? Therefore, I hear the annoying "SSSSSS" sound with vocals, but overall the highs present accurately regarding instrumentation and general tonality of vocals as opposed to headphones like some Beyers that present as bright across a wider range.  I hope this better explains what I am hearing.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #17,012 of 23,366
The pair of Q40's that I had did not have any sibilance. In fact, the whole treble range took a step back compared to the midrange, which was in turn a step back from the bass. I don't doubt what Craigster heard - but his pair may have been an exception as M-Audio doesn't have the best quality control.

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #17,013 of 23,366
This is just a thought but considering these XL pads reportedly lessen the bass a bit, would using them on the LP's (maybe LP 2?) create a nice balance? I've heard people say that the LP's are more bass heavy than the m-100's, which already have a good amount of bass, so maybe these pads would balance out the LP's nicely.

Then again I'm guessing the gulf in class between the m-100's and the LP's would still mean that the latter would pale in comparison overall.

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #17,014 of 23,366
  This is just a thought but considering these XL pads reportedly lessen the bass a bit, would using them on the LP's (maybe LP 2?) create a nice balance? I've heard people say that the LP's are more bass heavy than the m-100's, which already have a good amount of bass, so maybe these pads would balance out the LP's nicely.

Then again I'm guessing the gulf in class between the m-100's and the LP's would still mean that the latter would pale in comparison overall.

I don't see why not.

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #17,016 of 23,366
  Yes, you decrease the sound stage but increase the bass.

I'd say slight decrease in low mids (around 100 Hz) with a clear cut in the treble (8k and + Hz) and an increase in true bass (around 60 Hz).

EDIT: with more testing, I find the XL pads indeed a bit more balanced, they kind of sound similar to HD650 now in terms of signature. Very relaxed, easy to listen sound with plenty of bass impact still (less rumble and less sparkly trebles and sibliance). I also find the soundstage to be less congested as before, which used to annoy the hell out of me. 

I will agree with pretty much everyone and say that the M-100 are a better headphone with the XL pads.

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #17,018 of 23,366
  Can anyone tell me what the dimensions of the M100 exoskeleton case are?
And will the headphones still fit inside the case when the XL pads are fitted?

6" x 5.5" x 4"; and yes.

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #17,019 of 23,366
I switched the old pads with the XLs and didn't like them. Not that they were bad or anything. I just didn't like the distance between my ear and the driver. I have small ears so the originals didn't bother me. The XLs made the music sound too distant which kind of loss the intimacy of the sound that the M100s are known for. They did sound more balanced but I originally bought them for the harder hitting bass. If I wanted balanced headphones, I would have gotten Senheissers. The XLs made the headphones lose their punchy mids, and replaced them with a over bloated sub bass. The original pads make the bass sound tighter and more accurate. I think people are over exaggerating the sound stage improvement with the XLs. I noticed more of a separation between my ear and the source of sound rather than between individual instruments. Comfort wise, the XLs are great. But, comfort was never a issue for me. So I'm sticking with the originals, which Val will also tell you..... Sound better.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #17,020 of 23,366
I switched the old pads with the XLs and didn't like them. Not that they were bad or anything. I just didn't like the distance between my ear and the driver. I have small ears so the originals didn't bother me. The XLs made the music sound too distant which kind of loss the intimacy of the sound that the M100s are known for. They did sound more balanced but I originally bought them for the harder hitting bass. If I wanted balanced headphones, I would have gotten Senheissers. The XLs made the headphones lose their punchy mids, and replaced them with a over bloated sub bass. The original pads make the bass sound tighter and more accurate. I think people are over exaggerating the sound stage improvement with the XLs. I noticed more of a separation between my ear and the source of sound rather than between individual instruments. Comfort wise, the XLs are great. But, comfort was never a issue for me. So I'm sticking with the originals, which Val will also tell you..... Sound better.

i think you meant "punchy bass" in your post, sorry didn't mean to nitpick! i tried doing the cardboard modd on another headphone, and noticed the sound changes drastically as you put your ear farther away from the driver. it helped with comfort but i think val had a reason for putting your ear that close to the drivers.

just a fun question would you guys prefer the original pads distance to the driver but just expand the inner opening? best of both worlds perhaps? i wonder why val increase the depth of the pads?

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #17,021 of 23,366

I haven't tested neither M100 or XL pads yet but I'm fairly certain based on your post and a previous post somewhere (yours?) that the stock pads would satisfy me more soundwise. I've had similar experiences when testing swapping pads or even make the same pads just deeper on a few headphones. I tended to prefer the more in-your-face mids and intimate sound or like that I'm closer to the stage of the band playing, preferably I'd be first row listener or feel like I'm ON the stage with everything surrounding me when the ear was closer to the driver which I find much more engaging (moving away from the driver seemed to result in a more V-shape sound opposite of what I want. I want to listen to music that way, to get the feeling I have to move along with the music kinda and the more forward presentation helps).

Laid-back or relaxed sound just doesn't do it for me, it leaves me bored even if it would be tons of "spacious soundstage", I rather take that smaller in-your-face or "aggressive" sound where it sounds as if the vocallist would be wispering in my ear sorta. A laid-back sound can still be bright and all, it's that percieved long distance to the center of the music that I don't like and when it starts sounding relaxing and unengaging to me. That sorta signature that classical music enthusiasts would generally prefer as it helps with imaging. But I listen mostly to hardstyle which is electronic dance music that is meant to get ppl to dance.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #17,022 of 23,366

that sounds like a good experiment

especially because the lps on amazon are going for 100$ and the pads are 40, they are noted as being overly bass heavy. i only listened to them for 5 mins on my buddies, the mids sounded too recessed for my tastes and the treble was pretty quickly rolled off from what i remember. What stood out was BASS  overbloated a bit but for $100 better than the beats studios, solos, solo hds i heard

but between the lps and lp2 which would be a better buy? (personally i like the white and grey > the matte black of the lp2s) plus the lps has all these fun colours to choose from

totaling 140 before shipping= sounds like a great deal to me =) 

curious, wonder why the theres still lps on for sale at 100$ but the 80s white and grey are all gone, on vmoda and amazon website?

vmoda website still has lps the last time i saw it

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #17,023 of 23,366
Since no one is uploading pictures of these things worn, here goes. They definitely stick out a bit more, but feel super soft. The extra thickness also adds to the clamping pressure against my skull. Haven't listened to them much since I just got back for Comic Con and found them in the mail, but the bass does seem tamed, although I'm not experiencing the recessed mids. Need more time with them.

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #17,024 of 23,366

I haven't tested neither M100 or XL pads yet but I'm fairly certain based on your post and a previous post somewhere (yours?) that the stock pads would satisfy me more soundwise. I've had similar experiences when testing swapping pads or even make the same pads just deeper on a few headphones. I tended to prefer the more in-your-face mids and intimate sound or like that I'm closer to the stage of the band playing, preferably I'd be first row listener or feel like I'm ON the stage with everything surrounding me when the ear was closer to the driver which I find much more engaging (moving away from the driver seemed to result in a more V-shape sound opposite of what I want. I want to listen to music that way, to get the feeling I have to move along with the music kinda and the more forward presentation helps).

Laid-back or relaxed sound just doesn't do it for me, it leaves me bored even if it would be tons of "spacious soundstage", I rather take that smaller in-your-face or "aggressive" sound where it sounds as if the vocallist would be wispering in my ear sorta. A laid-back sound can still be bright and all, it's that percieved long distance to the center of the music that I don't like and when it starts sounding relaxing and unengaging to me. That sorta signature that classical music enthusiasts would generally prefer as it helps with imaging. But I listen mostly to hardstyle which is electronic dance music that is meant to get ppl to dance.

Yes, the headphones do get less engaging with the XL pads. But, I use them as a mobile set, so engaging or not, I won't notice much. Fatigue and comfort is what that matters, and the XL deliver in spades in these departments.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #17,025 of 23,366
  Fatigue and comfort is what that matters, and the XL deliver in spades in these departments.

SOUND is what matters for me, if sound is great I'm willing to compromise on comfort. =) I might order these M100 soon if I find a nice deal here in europe to see if it's for me or not as it still seems one of the better options around this pricerange for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back