V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 8, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #16,981 of 23,366
  You might try a rope mod instead of paper towel as it gets you more depth without compressing as much.  Worked for me. 

yea i actually use an old cable

You my friend, are not the only one! They still touch my ears and I feel some amount of discomfort, but it is a lot more comfortable than the stock pads.

have you tried doing a mod of some sort?

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #16,983 of 23,366
V-Moda got it right.  Got my second pair of M-100's yesterday along with my grey XL pads, put them on (pretty easy once you realize you have to manhandle them) and immediately could tell this was a huge improvement in comfort.  Soundstage is clearly wider, sound in general seems better and more balanced to me. 

As has been said, this is how they should have been done but look, I give huge props to Val making the decision to offer this.  He does what he says he will do - listen to his fans.  The XL pads are proof of that. 

I'm now a M-100 fan.   And that is saying something considering how I felt about them a month ago.  Frankly could not see the hype for a headphone you couldn't wear for more than a half hour without wanting to rip it off my head.  That issue is gone.................
beerchug.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #16,984 of 23,366
  V-Moda got it right.  Got my second pair of M-100's yesterday along with my grey XL pads, put them on (pretty easy once you realize you have to manhandle them) and immediately could tell this was a huge improvement in comfort.  Soundstage is clearly wider, sound in general seems better and more balanced to me. 

As has been said, this is how they should have been done but look, I give huge props to Val making the decision to offer this.  He does what he says he will do - listen to his fans.  The XL pads are proof of that. 

I'm now a M-100 fan.   And that is saying something considering how I felt about them a month ago.  Frankly could not see the hype for a headphone you couldn't wear for more than a half hour without wanting to rip it off my head.  That issue is gone.................
beerchug.gif

While I do agree that Val made a great decision in producing the pad, I still think the stock pads sound better overall.  I am probably a minority in this thread but I really do love the M-100's in their original incarnation..

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #16,985 of 23,366

While I do agree that Val made a great decision in producing the pad, I still think the stock pads sound better overall.  I am probably a minority in this thread but I really do love the M-100's in their original incarnation..

I agree with you.  They sound better with the original pads, but the XLs are just more comfortable.  I never had a huge problem with the originals, but the new ones are so damn nice.  The sound difference isn't THAT big and I can adjust my E12 amp (essentially just turning the bass boost ON)...which is really the only downside.  A bit less bass impact.  I wish it were easier to change the pads multiple times without damaging them, but I guess that's what happens when you don't design them that way in the first place.  That way I could tailor my headphones to how I'm listening.  Original pads on the go without the amps and XLs at home with the E12.

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #16,986 of 23,366
  For me, with the XL pads, there seems to be a better seal on my head so the bass has a little more impact, but also seems a bit looser, the soundstage is a bit wider so instruments sound less "in my head," the midrange seems to be a bit more laid-back/distant, and the treble is toned down a bit/less harsh. Some of the music in my collection is more listenable with the XL pads since the treble doesn't sound as fatiguing, but at the cost of having a more laid-back midrange. In terms of noise isolation, on the bus they seem to have about the same amount as the original pads.

ヽ(´ー`)┌

Pretty much exactly my experiencing with them so far. 

I agree with you.  They sound better with the original pads, but the XLs are just more comfortable.  I never had a huge problem with the originals, but the new ones are so damn nice.  The sound difference isn't THAT big and I can adjust my E12 amp (essentially just turning the bass boost ON)...which is really the only downside.  A bit less bass impact.  I wish it were easier to change the pads multiple times without damaging them, but I guess that's what happens when you don't design them that way in the first place.  That way I could tailor my headphones to how I'm listening.  Original pads on the go without the amps and XLs at home with the E12.

I also agree with you guys, but I think the sound does change quite noticeably. They still retain their V-shape, but now they're much more audiophile-like with respect to their other sonic qualities, losing a lot of what made them fun in the process (though, they're still fun, just not as much as with the normal pads).

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #16,987 of 23,366
What better way is there to test the Faders + M-100 + XL pads noise isolation? During a fire alarm. XD

I can still hear the alarm pretty darn well in the building with the combo, but it's less annoying. I can't hear people walking down the stairs, nor the conversations going on around me though.
Playing some music, the bass is really wooly and fat fat fat, the midrange ill-defined, and the treble is recessed/pretty much gone; it reminds me of the Sony XB-series headphones. It's as if someone took an equaliser and EQ-ed the bass region to be +9000! dB.

Woah...don't use this combo while walking about busy streets; I can barely hear buses right next to me and I can't hear cars nor people. >.>
That plus there's a bunch of "cable microphonics" since you can hear every footstep you take.

And now back to music that sounds awesome while mobile listening:

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #16,990 of 23,366
So I borrowed a caliper from a lab at school and decided to take some measurements of the earpads.

All measurements are in millimeters.

Black XL (note the XL pad fans outward like a funnel; I took measurements at the bottom of the funnel since the ear is likely to be in there):
19.62 WT
15.46 WB
36.58 W
55.64 H
19.11 depth excluding driver cover dome (EDD)
17.89 depth including driver cover dome (DD)

Original Grey:
20.46 WT
20.45 WB
34.95 W
57.16 H
16.04 EDD
15.24 DD

LP? White:
18.70 WT
20.30 WB
33.72 W
57.23 H
16.26 EDD
15.28 DD

LP? Black:
18.55 WT
19.14 WB
33.00 W
58.46 H
16.34 EDD
15.20 DD

I don't think the WT and WB measurements are anything important, but it was something I was curious about since those measurements seemed to differ a bit.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #16,991 of 23,366
Hmm tried these on for a few more days and looks like the XL pads might be more comfortable but I like the sound of them with the pads now and as it is I prefer more bass. So if I close the V ports and use the XL Pads would that help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back