V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #16,951 of 23,366

If you want a more balanced sound (based on the experiences from people in this thread who have the XL pads) from your M-100s or want even more comfort, sure. If you prefer the original V-shaped sound signature then no.

While I knew changing pads would change the sound signature, I'm a bit disappointed that the XL pads make them more balanced, since I specifically bought the M-100s for their fun sound. If the regular pads didn't cause me any discomfort, I personally wouldn't change, but then again, I have Momentums for a balanced portable so that probably influences my judgment.

guess ill keep the original pads then since the reason why I asked is because I figured the pads would effect the SQ somehow... I actually had he LP which I liked because it was bass heavy and returned because the ear cup came out of the hinges fairly easily ( Didn't drop them or anything) and I also liked the color and the plate that came with it looked pretty awesome

and while these have "less" bass then those these have a lot better quality bass sounding to them which I didn't want originally but I do actually love.

these also leak a lot less then the LP which is an added plus

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #16,952 of 23,366
  SWEET! The XL pads are out! I am going to order some, I have the White M100. Should I get the black pads or the grey? I currently have the Gold Shields with them. Also is there any difference in sound with the black pad vs the grey?  I believe Val had mentioned something about that. Yay Mike! Can't wait for the vid!

While I prefer the gray, black pads might go better with gold shields.

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #16,953 of 23,366
Sorry to break from all the XL Pads talk, but I was just wandering if anyone does anything as far as preventative maintenance for their m-100's. With talk on here about rusting hinges on some folks's m-100's. I was wandering if it would be beneficial to apply some sort of lubricant or rust protectant to keep them from rusting or would this just hinder the hinge mechanism. I personally haven't had any issues with my headphones and take extra measures in keeping them clean and good condition, only listening to them in home, office or travels; always kept in case and never worn while sweating. But I feel you can never be too safe.

I haven't applied anything to the hinges, yet, as I don't want to hinder there performance. Just wanted to see what you guys think?

I cant recall a single post about rusting and have not even remotely seen hints of rusting and I have the white/silver which is unpainted.

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #16,955 of 23,366
It's been 7 months since I have used this product and I am putting in some updates with regards to the toughness of the product.
We all know these headphones are created and advertised with "Toughness" in mind. Unfortunately I found 4 physical weak spots in this product:

1. The leather"ish" material of the headband can be easily be scratched with your own nails. I could imagine when a cat accidentally scratched it, it would be a disaster and the look can be easily be ruined.

2. The sliding mechanism. Inside the headband that holds/encloses the sliding mechanism can easily snap-out and ruin the sliding mechanism when the headband is accidentally twisted like using the headphone while lying in bed. Also, when putting/wearing the headphones to your head the tendency is you will hold the headphones to the metal part that holds the speakers on both sides. This causes a lot of tension to the materials that holds/encloses the sliding mechanism inside the headband and can cause the sliding mechanism break apart. Also, it could probably "rip-out" from the soft fabric underneath the headband, that would be really ugly when that happens. When I noticed that, I was careful of holding the headphone from there on. But I was annoyed at that so what I did is I reinforced the material that holds/encloses sliding mechanism from the outside of the headband with 2 nylon cable ties at the edge of the sliding mechanism holder. The headphones feel more sturdy now no matter how carefree I handle it when wearing it.

3. The folding mechanism material can rust easily. I use this headphones when jogging and when sweat gets there, it can rust easily. So when I noticed that, I clean the folding mechanism with WD40. Not sure how V-Moda can improve this one in their future or next production of M100s.

4. The replaceable plastic part at both ends of the headband can easily CRACK (The one with 3 screws each where the L and R is printed). Mine has a crack already in both sides.

Of course I can have them replaced free of charge, but I live in the Philippines and it will be a pain to ship it back to have it replaced since there is no distributor here. Anyhow these are the things I noticed about this product and I hope they can address these in their next production or in the future release. I really enjoy these CANS the most and with that I use it the most for the past 7 months and I really love these headphones despite some material weaknesses. I don't abuse these headphones even though it is advertised as "Built like a tank". I just use it normally. But I wish I could be more carefree to handle it.

Here is post # 16710

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #16,956 of 23,366
  While I prefer the gray, black pads might go better with gold shields.

Thanks Craigster! I will go with the black!

Also I wish the faders deal was still going on. But I may need to send my M100's back. One of the hinges is loose and is not making the satisfying clicking sound, i try tightening but nothing is working. Does anyone had this problem before?

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #16,957 of 23,366
Hmmm The left earcrup moves a bit within the 2 Hinge things that they stay in... Is this normal or should I be worried again about this issue? This happened with my LP where it easily came out and had to shove it back in and if so would getting a replacement help?

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #16,959 of 23,366
These headphones with the xl pads are absolutely incredible. Listened for three hours straight with zero comfort issues. Well worth the wait. 

Did you feel like they lost some of the fun factor that made them so special?

Thanks,

:evil:

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #16,960 of 23,366
Thanks for pointing this out.  From what I read, the poster was mentioning what they felt could potentially go wrong rather than an actual rusting issue they experienced.  I believe the grade of metal used should be as rust resistant as any.

Thanks and I do agree with you. Sometimes I read posts and become a little paranoid, but then again the OP and I totally use our headphones in a different manner. I am just really peculiar with my stuff (actually major OCD).

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #16,961 of 23,366
Did you feel like they lost some of the fun factor that made them so special?

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

No, I personally think they sound better. Again this is just my opinion , but the soundstage seems a lot wider and I'm hearing more nuances in the background. I couldn't be happier with these. I always thought the sound was great, now the comfort equals the sound.

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #16,963 of 23,366
i come here so seldom these days i feel like a tourist... anyhoo, alot of catching up just went on and i wanted to share my view of the XL pads aswell.

ill start out with the positive - the sound.
now, ive only had about 1.5 hours of listening with them, so this is all just "early impressions", but so far im impressed! while others mentioned a slight increase in soundstage, to me its rather dramatic! i feel like this is the biggest, and the most positive thing the new pads have to offer as far as sound quality. 
i also feel like theres a better seal with these pads, resulting in what, to me, sounds like a much more relaxed bass, and a more impactful and deep subbass (these changes are subtle, but 100% noticeable imo). to me, this is a very positive change as im quite the sub bass freak, and i tend to get annoyed with over bloated mid bass.
as far as mids and treble, it just sound slightly different to me. i cant quite put my finger on it. i cant really name these changes as of yet... i need some more eartime before i feel comfortable giving an opinion there.

and heres the negative - comfort 
frown.gif

im glad to read all these posts from releived people who are enjoying their new found comfort. but its just not so for me im afraid... let me elaborate:
originally, with the stock pads, my antihelix would get crushed by the driver, and even after a rather extreme "paper towel" mod, which stretched the pads to their utmost limits, i would still feel pain after about an hour.
the new pads are deeper for sure, but theyre also much softer, so in effect - not all that different for my apparently freakishly pointy antihelixs.
i put the new pads on and took them for a spin and right after about 5 minuets i could already detect some minor discomfort. its been about and hour and a half and my ears hurt like hell. its still an improvement mind you, but not a very big one. i guess ill do the same mod with the new pads... hopefully that will work, but even if it does, one would expect new "XL" pads to be big enough without any consumer mods...
so i guess im the first one with a negative opinion on the new XLs... maybe i just have very abnormal ears...

i still love my m-100s nonetheless. i was just expecting something more from these pads thats all

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #16,964 of 23,366
When it comes to using both the M-100 and my Faders in conjunction, I find myself turning up the volume much higher than I normally would (close to 80-90%). Will this damage my hearing? I rather enjoy this combo, as it really emphasizes the "fun" factor of the headphones.

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #16,965 of 23,366
  When it comes to using both the M-100 and my Faders in conjunction, I find myself turning up the volume much higher than I normally would (close to 80-90%). Will this damage my hearing? I rather enjoy this combo, as it really emphasizes the "fun" factor of the headphones.

Yeah that happens. The Faders block stuff out, so it would make sense that if you have the M-100 over the Faders, which block stuff out, you would need to turn up the volume to get to the same volume level as the volume without the stuff blocked out.

It probably won't damage your hearing, but the increased volume level might bother some people around you if the surrounding environment is quiet enough. It works pretty well on the bus and yup, the fun factor is greatly enhanced. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back