V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #16,996 of 23,366
  Yes, you decrease the sound stage but increase the bass.

Should be opposite, you lose bass and probably gain some highs/brightness too. Tested with several of my ported headphones, always same result -> major loss in soundstage, decreased bass (significantly), slightly brighter.

Now the M100 have acoustic foam cover over the hole underneath the shield so covering the ports should be less of a difference compared to LP/LP2 where there's no acoustic foam used (also the reason why M100 isolates some 1-2dB or whatever better than those from outside noise).

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #16,997 of 23,366
  V-Moda got it right.  Got my second pair of M-100's yesterday along with my grey XL pads, put them on (pretty easy once you realize you have to manhandle them) and immediately could tell this was a huge improvement in comfort.  Soundstage is clearly wider, sound in general seems better and more balanced to me. 

As has been said, this is how they should have been done but look, I give huge props to Val making the decision to offer this.  He does what he says he will do - listen to his fans.  The XL pads are proof of that. 

I'm now a M-100 fan.   And that is saying something considering how I felt about them a month ago.  Frankly could not see the hype for a headphone you couldn't wear for more than a half hour without wanting to rip it off my head.  That issue is gone.................
beerchug.gif

Great reading everyone's feedback... It looks like we are definitely positive overall! I want to see pics of the ears of those who have a worse experience with XL than stock.  I also want to see what happens as they "wear in" and soften up a bit so they shape/turn a bit more to your ears.  

The volume of air and pitch of the ear can change a lot with smaller-medium/flatter ears like mine. I have been trolling around a lot more lately to see the reactions for future product dev and further mods down the road on M-100.

Salute 
beerchug.gif
 (white wine in the right cup)

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #16,999 of 23,366
Hi guys! I'm new in this forum.

I've been a Sennheiser user since 1998. I owned four sets and three of them are still with me. e2200 (evolution), and two pairs of HD-280 Pro. Last July, I was planning on upgrading to HD-25-1 II. But a good friend of mine convinced me to get a V-Moda M100 instead. So I put my order on it and received my cans a few days ago. Last Tuesday, I tried using it in a gig for the first time. All I can say is WOW! The sound is excellent and the comfort is better than my HD-280s. I also ordered extra shields with my logos engraved on them.

Here are a few pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicadraus/10166263876/sizes/z/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicadraus/10166200535/sizes/z/in/photostream/

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #17,000 of 23,366
M-100 pads installed and loved!! Bass doesn't feel as in your face as before but is smoother and much much better than stock. Just like with the pads the sound is much less congested and comfort is through the roof!! I will no longer be looking or even considering a portable pair of headphones. These are officially now my endgame pair of portables. I was happy before but they got less and less headtime because I couldn't get over the comfort and pressure it put on the tops of my ears but thats gone ladies and gents. I am good to go! 

Portable: Done 
Gaming:  Done

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #17,001 of 23,366
I
So I borrowed a caliper from a lab at school and decided to take some measurements of the earpads.

^ abbreviations/labels apply for all pads

All measurements are in millimeters.

Black XL (note the XL pad fans outward like a funnel; I took measurements at the bottom of the funnel since the ear is likely to be in there):
19.62 WT
15.46 WB
36.58 W
55.64 H
19.11 depth excluding driver cover dome (EDD)
17.89 depth including driver cover dome (DD)

Original Grey:
20.46 WT
20.45 WB
34.95 W
57.16 H
16.04 EDD
15.24 DD

LP? White:
18.70 WT
20.30 WB
33.72 W
57.23 H
16.26 EDD
15.28 DD

LP? Black:
18.55 WT
19.14 WB
33.00 W
58.46 H
16.34 EDD
15.20 DD

I don't think the WT and WB measurements are anything important, but it was something I was curious about since those measurements seemed to differ a bit.

I've been waiting for someone to do this. I have never considered the M100 because the other models' ear pads were too small for me. I'm referring in the main to the H measurement and was disappointed that the XL pads are actually less. Bummer. Still no V Modas for me.

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #17,002 of 23,366
  I got nothing but love for my XL pads 
L3000.gif

That smiley disturbs my dreams..

The XL pads are beautiful! Good stuff. If I still had my M-100's I would have gotten them.

I am currently trying out the M-Audio Q40's and yes...I ordered the DT770 replacement pads for these as per recommendation. So don't worry M-100's your not the only one with pad problems!

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #17,003 of 23,366

The XL pads are beautiful! Good stuff. If I still had my M-100's I would have gotten them.

I am currently trying out the M-Audio Q40's and yes...I ordered the DT770 replacement pads for these as per recommendation. So don't worry M-100's your not the only one with pad problems!

hmmm......M-Audio Q40 from M-100?  .....seems like a big downgrade in comfort, portability, resolution, mids and sibilant-free highs.

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #17,004 of 23,366

hmmm......M-Audio Q40 from M-100?  .....seems like a big downgrade in comfort, portability, resolution, mids and sibilant-free highs.

Comfort? DT770 Pads, Portability? They fold up. Resolution? perhaps a little less. Mids? I don't know how to listen for mids... According to MalVeauX they are there. Sibilant free highs? yes.
Left flat line, the treble is very smooth, there's no sibilance at all unless it's inherent to the track and super emphasized, but I didn't experience any on my tracks.

Quote:
The mids are not bled out in a way that is very noticeable, unlike most headphones that are bassy, where this is the first place you notice a problem. This wasn't the case here. Vocals and instruments sounded right to me.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/m-audio-studiophile-q40-closed-back-dynamic-headphones/reviews/6430
I also got them for $99. I don't know we will see when I'm done with these and either sell them...or buy back the M-100.
I actually did not prefer the rolled off highs of the M-100's. I felt like I was missing something from those cans. At times I was wanting more bass. The sound signature was not memorable to me. The D2000's...well with those I almost had a out of body experience because they were so musical. Don't know...maybe ill skip the M-100's next time. I'm taking my time and getting to know all the wonderful headphones out there.

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #17,005 of 23,366
Well wonderful cans as in bass-centric cans...

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #17,006 of 23,366
Originally Posted by SIDWULF /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I should be a bit more specific:

Comfort? DT770 Pads

XL pads

Portability?

M-100 is more durable and compact.  Also, Q40 is 64ohm and NEEDS an amp to sound its best.

Resolution? perhaps a little less. Sibilant free highs? yes.

This is subjective, but to my ears the Q40 lacks detail and they are one of the most sibilant headphones I have heard, particularly since the highs are not harsh or bright otherwise.  Without the sibilance, I would rate their sound higher as I really enjoy their bass performance.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/m-audio-studiophile-q40-closed-back-dynamic-headphones/reviews/6430
I also got them for $99. I don't know we will see when I'm done with these and either sell them...or buy back the M-100.
I actually did not prefer the rolled off highs of the M-100's. I felt like I was missing something from those cans. At times I was wanting more bass. The sound signature was not memorable to me. The D2000's...well with those I almost had a out of body experience because they were so musical. Don't know...maybe ill skip the M-100's next time. I'm taking my time and getting to know all the wonderful headphones out there.

Overall, I agree the Q40 is a good value.  I would suggest giving the M-100 another try with the XL pads as the highs are more extended and the comfort is a huge improvement.

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #17,007 of 23,366

Good for you. You should hear the Q40 with Alpha pads.........unreal how good the phones are.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #17,008 of 23,366
It's been a while since I've vented. My XL pads were ordered around mid August. It's now almost mid October and still nothing. Great to be reading first impressions in the meantime to keep me distracted! 

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #17,009 of 23,366
  It's been a while since I've vented. My XL pads were ordered around mid August. It's now almost mid October and still nothing. Great to be reading first impressions in the meantime to keep me distracted!

It is shipping now, so you should email V-MODA for an update.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #17,010 of 23,366
This is subjective, but to my ears the Q40 lacks detail and they are one of the most sibilant headphones I have heard, particularly since the highs are not harsh or bright otherwise.  Without the sibilance, I would rate their sound higher as I really enjoy their bass performance.

Lol, you made your post unquotable somehow.

I figured since Mal owns a gazzilion headphones and yet still rates the Q40 pretty high (He must be insane!) It appears I have fallen off the ladder of headphones...but have I? I'm still trying to figure that out. I am giving the Q40 a good workout.

Half that paragraph contradicts the other. If he highs are not harsh and bright how can they be sibilant? I'm searching hard for the sibilance.

64Ohms...even though there is an immediate difference in detail between amping and the Q40's seem to require less volume then other headphones through an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back