V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #17,026 of 23,366
  Since no one is uploading pictures of these things worn, here goes. They definitely stick out a bit more, but feel super soft. The extra thickness also adds to the clamping pressure against my skull. Haven't listened to them much since I just got back for Comic Con and found them in the mail, but the bass does seem tamed, although I'm not experiencing the recessed mids. Need more time with them.

Cool picture, you looked ripped. Are those stiches under your eye....or a tattoo?

You would look great with some modern full frame glasses too!

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #17,032 of 23,366
V-MODA Crossfade M[atch.com]-100

LOL!! 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #17,033 of 23,366

Fatigue and comfort is what that matters, and the XL deliver in spades in these departments.

SOUND is what matters for me, if sound is great I'm willing to compromise on comfort. =) I might order these M100 soon if I find a nice deal here in europe to see if it's for me or not as it still seems one of the better options around this pricerange for me.

Yah but uncomfortable cans will take away from how great they sound or limit the amount of headtime they get. I have no idea what those that are complaining about the sound of the M100's with the XL pads. The bass is not tame or tamed. Its not as in your face as before but that isn't a bad thing. The sound has improved and plus now I can wear these all day with zero issues. Once the pads loosen up some they will get even better with less clamp force which isn't bad to begin with. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #17,034 of 23,366
  Its not as in your face as before but that isn't a bad thing. The sound has improved and plus now I can wear these all day with zero issues. Once the pads loosen up some they will get even better with less clamp force which isn't bad to begin with. 

But it is _to me_ :wink: This hobby is a very subjective matter when it comes to what we actually enjoy hearing. I've tested with several other headphones and experienced similar changes with a padswap what has been described here and didn't like that kind of change so reverted to the "good" pads sound-wise even if there would be less comfort. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to pursuing my ideally preferred sound signature which I know very well what it is these days and wouldn't let (to me) such a small factor like comfort hindering enjoying that personal ideal sound.

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #17,035 of 23,366

But it is _to me_ :wink: This hobby is a very subjective matter when it comes to what we actually enjoy hearing. I've tested with several other headphones and experienced similar changes with a padswap what has been described here and didn't like that kind of change so reverted to the "good" pads sound-wise even if there would be less comfort. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to pursuing my ideally preferred sound signature which I know very well what it is these days and wouldn't let (to me) such a small factor like comfort hindering enjoying that personal ideal sound.

You should get a M-100 - pull the trigger bud.  Then let's see how you like the comfort....................

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #17,036 of 23,366
These conversations about enduring pain for the sake of an aesthetic ideal are making me think of Victorian models in spine-destroying corsets (cf. Camille Clifford):

The original pads don't hurt me, but if they did, I'd pick up a pair of XLs faster than you can say, "Merry bruxism to you, Mr. Gnatholator."

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #17,037 of 23,366
  These conversations about enduring pain for the sake of an aesthetic ideal are making me think of Victorian models in spine-destroying corsets (cf. Camille Clifford):

The original pads don't hurt me, but if they did, I'd pick up a pair of XLs faster than you can say, "Merry bruxism to you, Mr. Gnatholator."

Your analogy, though deft and colorful as always, is not very accurate.  I don't think people are "enduring pain for the sake of an aesthetic ideal" so much as maybe a varying degree of discomfort for a more pleasurable listening experience.  It's not quite as vain as you make it out to be.  It is no more out of the ordinary, in my opinion, than enduring a difficult hike to experience an exceptional view.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #17,038 of 23,366
  Cool picture, you looked ripped. Are those stiches under your eye....or a tattoo?

You would look great with some modern full frame glasses too!

It's a scar I drew with eyeliner. I was at New York Comic Con cosplaying as Monkey D. Luffy.

And I do own full frame glasses. Thanks for the kind words!

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #17,039 of 23,366

SOUND is what matters for me, if sound is great I'm willing to compromise on comfort. =) I might order these M100 soon if I find a nice deal here in europe to see if it's for me or not as it still seems one of the better options around this pricerange for me.

Well, I was saying a "fatiguing sound". I mostly listen to metal, and most of the time the mix is very densed, super compressed and the m100 didn't have the soundstage necessary to help layer the instruments really well. Now, with the XL pads, the very top end of the distorted guitars is gone as well as the annoying mix. So that's the main reason I prefer the M-100. Also, these are ONLY my mobile set, I never use them at home. I use them with 320 kbs mp3's, not exactly a reference format.

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #17,040 of 23,366
I did sound tests with the XLs and regular pads. The regulars won for nearly every genre I tested. I don't really listen to metal but I can see how the regular pads could be fatiguing with the distorted guitars and bass. My main problem with the XLs is the distance between the ear and driver. I don't really notice a significant increase in soundstage. Just distance from the source of the sound. The distinction between individual instruments doesn't really change. I love the "in your face" presentation with the regular pads. That's what makes the M100s what they are. Its like you're on the stage of a concert. The XLs make it seem like you're in the audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back