V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 12, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #17,041 of 23,366
The normal ear pads that comes out-of-the-box feels ok to me. I used my M100 thrice already on two and a half hour gigs since last Tuesday, and will be using it again tonight. So far, they feel great compared to my old Sennheiser HD280 Pro. My ear size is quite normal and I don't have the need for the XL pads.

Does the XL pads make a sound difference with the standard ones?

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #17,042 of 23,366
  The normal ear pads that comes out-of-the-box feels ok to me. I used my M100 thrice already on two and a half hour gigs since last Tuesday, and will be using it again tonight. So far, they feel great compared to my old Sennheiser HD280 Pro. My ear size is quite normal and I don't have the need for the XL pads.

Does the XL pads make a sound difference with the standard ones?

There are several answers to your question if you take a few minutes to go back a few pages.

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #17,043 of 23,366

Its not as in your face as before but that isn't a bad thing. The sound has improved and plus now I can wear these all day with zero issues. Once the pads loosen up some they will get even better with less clamp force which isn't bad to begin with. 

But it is _to me_ :wink: This hobby is a very subjective matter when it comes to what we actually enjoy hearing. I've tested with several other headphones and experienced similar changes with a padswap what has been described here and didn't like that kind of change so reverted to the "good" pads sound-wise even if there would be less comfort. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to pursuing my ideally preferred sound signature which I know very well what it is these days and wouldn't let (to me) such a small factor like comfort hindering enjoying that personal ideal sound.

Just buy the damn things lol You'll like them either way. The bass is still front and center it's just IMO better. Not less not taking a step back but better. It's clean punchy and extends low. Stock or XL doesn't matter but are good

Thanks,

:evil:

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #17,044 of 23,366

Your analogy, though deft and colorful as always, is not very accurate.  I don't think people are "enduring pain for the sake of an aesthetic ideal" so much as maybe a varying degree of discomfort for a more pleasurable listening experience.  It's not quite as vain as you make it out to be.  It is no more out of the ordinary, in my opinion, than enduring a difficult hike to experience an exceptional view.

It was a joke, mein Speakerphile, just as "enduring pain for the sake of an aesthetic ideal" is humorous hyperbole.  

You've probably heard of this already, but there's a thing called lightening up which I once read about.  I can't vouch for the practice, since I haven't tried it myself, but people claim it puts the hurt on high blood pressure.

On numerous forums in various strata of interest, members often talk about putting up with levels of discomfort for the sake of their hobbies as if it were the manly thing to do.  You'll see this on selvedge denim threads, for example, in which gentlemen buy jeans three sizes too small and force themselves into their pairs until the fabric stretches -- and all without washing said jeans for a year.  Listening to them talk about the pain is very much like descending to the 1870s in a time elevator and hearing people complain about wearing corsets.

I'm only pointing out that that sort of stoicism was once considered the opposite of manliness.  That isn't a terrible thing -- gender-defined distinctions are often arbitrary -- but it does strike me as amusing.  

"O the discomfort! O I shall die, Millicent!  O the travails of the search for the perfect sound!"

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #17,045 of 23,366
I did sound tests with the XLs and regular pads. The regulars won for nearly every genre I tested. I don't really need listen to metal but I can see how the regular pads could be fatiguing with the distorted guitars and bass. My main problem with the XLs is the distance between the ear and driver. I don't really notice a significant increase in soundstage. Just distance from the source of the sound. The distinction between individual instruments doesn't really change. I love the "in your face" presentation with the regular pads. That's what makes the M100s what they are. Its like you're on the stage of a concert. The XLs make it seem like you're in the audience.

Thank you, you seem to be the having similar preferences like me. I'm still on the fence whether to buy or not M100, I was originally waiting for XL pads to see how they would change sound and now it's clear XL pads won't be for me sound-wise. I don't think the mids/highs balance will satisfy me on M100 and the comments regarding distorted guitars makes me worried about a plausible 3.5kHz resonance peak that was really bad on the LP2 I tried so certain nasal female vocals got distorted cause of it. I think I would love the bass though. :p

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #17,047 of 23,366
We clearly have different opinions on the pads. For me, the XL pads sacrifice sound for comfort. I hate the fact that they make the headphones lose that punchy low mid for a boomier sub base. The regular pads provide a tighter bass that is the perfect balance for me (why I got the M100s). The XL pads made the headphones lose that "fun sound." Obviously, the headphones are still great with the XL pads. But they lose that signature V-Moda sound. And I really don't notice much of a sound stage improvement as other people are suggesting. Its simply an increase in distance between your ear and the driver.

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #17,048 of 23,366
We clearly have different opinions on the pads. For me, the XL pads sacrifice sound for comfort. I hate the fact that they make the headphones lose that punchy low mid for a boomier sub base. The regular pads provide a tighter bass that is the perfect balance for me (why I got the M100s). The XL pads made the headphones lose that "fun sound." Obviously, the headphones are still great with the XL pads. But they lose that signature V-Moda sound. And I really don't notice much of a sound stage improvement as other people are suggesting. Its simply an increase in distance between your ear and the driver.

As there has been such a wide range of perceived changes with the XL pads, I believe variation in ear size and shape will provide a different listening experience for everyone.  I can see why launching XL pads was not a "snap" decision for Val.  For me, I don't consider the sound better or worse, just different.  Val made the point awhile ago regarding launch delays of the M-100 that careful thought is required when launching a new product as it is not like software where one can install an update.  If there is ever an M-100-2 (i.e.LP2), a magnetic earpad would be a great way to switch between the two pads which I believe I would do frequently if it was an option.

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #17,049 of 23,366

It was a joke, mein Speakerphile, just as "enduring pain for the sake of an aesthetic ideal" is humorous hyperbole.

You've probably heard of this already, but there's a thing called lightening up which I once read about.  I can't vouch for the practice, since I haven't tried it myself, but people claim it helps with high blood pressure.

On various forums in various strata of interest, members often talk about putting up with levels of discomfort for the sake of their hobbies as if it were the manly thing to do.  You'll see this on selvedge denim threads, for example, in which gentlemen buy jeans three sizes too small and force themselves into their pairs until the fabric stretches -- and all without washing said jeans for a year.  Listening to them talk about the pain is very much like hearing people complain about wearing corsets.

I'm only pointing out that that sort of stoicism was once considered the opposite of manliness.  That isn't a terrible thing -- gender-defined distinctions are often arbitrary -- but it does strike me as amusing.

O the discomfort! O I shall die, Millicent!  O the travails of the search for the perfect sound!

It didn't really come across as a joke, nor was my post intended to be as serious as you make it out to be.  No need to worry about my blood pressure.  
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #17,050 of 23,366
  As there has been such a wide range of perceived changes with the XL pads, I believe variation in ear size and shape will provide a different listening experience for everyone.  I can see why launching XL pads was not a "snap" decision for Val.  For me, I don't consider the sound better or worse, just different.  Val made the point awhile ago regarding launch delays of the M-100 that careful thought is required when launching a new product as it is not like software where one can install an update.  If there is ever an M-100-2 (i.e.LP2), a magnetic earpad would be a great way to switch between the two pads which I believe I would do frequently if it was an option.

+1. I think it's silly to say that the new XL earpads will universally improve or worsen the sound quality for users. Whether the perceived change in sound quality is positive or negative depends on the user's sound signature preference and individual ear shape/size. It's a subjective change in sound. The point of the XL earpads is to improve comfort and fit for the user.

If you believe that the sound signature depends on getting the right fit, then improving the fit for users that find the old earpads uncomfortable will allow them to hear the sound signature as originally intended. However, this change can be perceived as positive or negative depending on the user's sound signature preference.

If the old earpads were mashing up against your ears and causing discomfort, you obviously didn't have the correct fit, so you wouldn't be hearing the sound signature as it was intended compared to someone else whose ears fit snugly. ...so if you are experiencing discomfort, but find that you still prefer the sound signature of the uncomfortable earpads, I hope you know that you probably aren't getting the "signature V-Moda sound," but rather you are probably just perceiving more bass because the driver is mashed up directly against your ear. lol!

It's not that the regular earpads or the XL earpads have intrinsic properties that make them sound better or worse, but it is how the earpads personally FIT on your individual ears that makes the sound quality improve. As Val likes to say, "The fit is the sound."

There is no need to sacrifice comfort for sound, because if the earpads are not comfortable, they do not fit correctly, and the sound signature is not correctly optimized for your ears. I see the XL pads as an amazing product for people who need it, and it shows us that V-Moda understands that finding the perfect sound is not a one-size-fits-all.

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #17,051 of 23,366
Great to read the feedback.

CanJam - XS/M-100 Launches
For those that went to CanJam, I apologize I could not make it. Our new product XS is launching and I was just to stressed with all the photos/videos necessary.  We are also making a video for M-100 that is behind schedule, it is going to be unbelievable. Most exciting, however is that our V-MODA Milano office opened and it is right next to wear Leonardo Da Vinci worked as a civil and military engineer!

Crossfade M-100 Official Video - Sneak Peek
Here is a sneak peek of the M-100 video, I think you'll understand the energy and creative vision required to make this video.  It has been amazing and fun, I have been dreaming of this for nearly 2 years and it is near completion now in only a few days.  We HAD to shoot it in Milano, of course.

/img/vimeo_logo.png

Google Hangout
Since I regrettably missed CanJam this year, lets do a Google hangout in the near future if anybody has any questions worldwide.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #17,052 of 23,366

Thank you, you seem to be the having similar preferences like me. I'm still on the fence whether to buy or not M100, I was originally waiting for XL pads to see how they would change sound and now it's clear XL pads won't be for me sound-wise. I don't think the mids/highs balance will satisfy me on M100 and the comments regarding distorted guitars makes me worried about a plausible 3.5kHz resonance peak that was really bad on the LP2 I tried so certain nasal female vocals got distorted cause of it. I think I would love the bass though. :p

Not the case about nasal female vocals. I got a couple of blues album on my iPod and there is no distortion in voices.

I can definitely understand that people prefer the stock pads for the sound signature, engaging mids and sparkly top. But, I'm 100% sure, that the soundstage is much different. I've done many tests with music and movies, and the result is the same, much better soundstage with the XL pads.

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #17,054 of 23,366
  It didn't really come across as a joke, nor was my post intended to be as serious as you make it out to be.  No need to worry about my blood pressure.

1.  Saying "it didn't come across" implies that you feel you speak for everyone in the room. But those who complain of not getting jokes risk becoming jokes themselves. Still, I applaud your donation of your modesty to the Sierra Club.
  2.  If your own reply was intended as a joke, then your deadpan delivery seems especially masterful here:

I don't think people are "enduring pain for the sake of an aesthetic ideal" so much as maybe a varying degree of discomfort for a more pleasurable listening experience.  It's not quite as vain as you make it out to be.  It is no more out of the ordinary, in my opinion, than enduring a difficult hike to experience an exceptional view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back