V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 15, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #17,072 of 23,366
got my m-100's last friday. so love the SQ. there just few songs that distorts when listening to it, especially the highs... listening to: My help comes from the holy one by David Baroni. tried to use it straight to my iphone and in my laptop with the distortion... any advice how to make the M-100 play better? 

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #17,074 of 23,366
  XL pads and VERZA.

XL pads doesn't garantuee improved sound for everyone, it's subjective, some people like it, others not. If there were no sound changes whatsoever people would also get affected by "expectation bias" or "my-invested-money-has-to-be-justisfied bias" so statistically there would probably be some people noticing a slight improvement with the XL pads even if they would be sounding the same based on human psychology alone.

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #17,077 of 23,366
Loads of power, pop up the mids and highs, and it was tuned with the M-100 in mind by Val himself.

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #17,078 of 23,366
Thanks guys for the suggestion... Has the m-100 improved with the use of the versa connected to an idevice? How would it sound if I have a versa?

note that the verza is $600. i would say try free options to improve the sound FIRST such as equalizers or higher quality bitrates/source file to see if you can find your happy sound :) ...especially if you are only noticing problems with a few songs.

I would say that XL pads are more geared for improving comfort and fit. Some people enjoy the change in sound signature, but it seems pretty subjective depending on your preferences. However, if the headphones are uncomfortable or do not fit properly, I would highly recommend the XL pads as having the proper fit can positively influence the sound signature.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #17,080 of 23,366
I guess it's all preference. I don't really see how the XLs make the headphones sound much better as some people are claiming. Yes, they are much more comfortable. However, they compromise sound for me (and remember that I have small ears). To me, the reason I got the M100s was for the engaging sound and punchy bass. If I wanted balanced headphones, I would have gotten the Momentums. The M100s simply didn't sound like M100s anymore with the XL pads. The Xls make the headphones too boomy. I'm a stickler when it comes to bass, and I am looking for a tighter bass rather than a loose one. I thought the originals pads simply deliver the better sound. The drivers in the M100s were tuned for the original pads, not the XLs so I feel the sound is better optimized for the regular ones. I can agree that perhaps the XLs are better suited for hard rock and heavy metal, in which the original pads can provide fatiguing highs (not to mention that distorted guitar being right up to your ear). But for rap, hip-hop, electronic, classic rock, acoustic, folk, the original pads are the way to go.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #17,081 of 23,366
Loving the pads! Sure, the sound sig has changed. But m100 was a fun can to begin with, so I'm quite enjoying the new sound. I have what you can call "medium-sized" ears, so the stock pads were a little uncomfortable, I could wear them for a couple hours but I'd have to take them off/re-adjust them every now and then. With the new pads, its completely gone! I am actually considering selling my main cans now lol. 

Really appreciate V-MODA listening to the customers and delivering, very hard to find that in the ever-progressing industry, where the focus normally is on upcoming products. You've just earned a loyal customer! 

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #17,083 of 23,366

Ok here's a leak.

My friend who is connected with V-Moda said that the XS is actually an upgrade of the M-80. It's called M-80 XS (with foldable hinges). Also XS stands for Xtra Small. A little smaller than the standard M-80.

Way to hang your buddy out to dry.  You told everyone that he worked at DJ Corner in Dubai, and when he was meeting with V-MODA and now leaked non-public information that you said came from him.  Oops.  I'd be a little more selective about what you post on here, especially since the CVO reads this thread.  I would venture to guess, there were not more than a couple people in that meeting.  

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #17,084 of 23,366
I disagree.  I believe that instrument separation has taken a hit with the XLs. People are confusing the increase in distance between the ear and driver for an increase in sound stage. In reality, its just an increase in distance from the source of sound. To me, the instruments seems to bleed into each other as the sound must travel a further distance to reach your ear drum. With the originals, your ear is much closer to the driver, which gives the sound more clarity, and the instruments more distinction. I also disagree with the mids being marginally recessed. I see them more as drowned out due to the more pronounced lows (the thump you're referring to) as well as the distance between the ear and driver. The mids take a major hit. The punchy bass that the old ones were known for has become more of a loose boomy bass with the XLs. The highs become less fatiguing which is definitely a pro for the XLs. That's why genres such as Heavy Metal and Hard Rock may sound better with the XL pads. But if you're looking for metal/rock headphones, you're looking at the wrong brand. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone with small ears that do not protrude my  head at all. I had no comfort with the original pads. From a sound standpoint, I just see no strong argument for why the XLs sound better.

Just compare the song "Stan" by Eminem with the Regulars and XLs. The acoustic guitar in the background during the verse is much more pronounced with the old pads. With the XLs, it seem too distant. The vocal clarity also takes a major hit with the XLs. WIth the regulars, it felt like Eminem was talking into your ear. With the XLs, the vocals become too distant and lose clarity. The bass in the song becomes looser and more boomy, and it bleeds into the drum track in the background. 

If you're looking for a more relaxed and distant sound, the XLs are great. If you're looking for a more engaging and intimate experience with your music, the Old Pads are the way to go. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #17,085 of 23,366
  I guess it's all preference. I don't really see how the XLs make the headphones sound much better as some people are claiming. I feel people are simply trying to convicne themselves that they are in order to feel better about their decision to swap them. Yes, they are much more comfortable. However, they compromise sound for me (and remember that I have small ears). To me, the reason I got the M100s was for the engaging sound and punchy bass. If I wanted balanced headphones, I would have gotten the Momentums. The M100s simply didn't sound like M100s anymore with the XL pads. The Xls make the headphones too boomy. I'm a stickler when it comes to bass, and I am looking for a tighter bass rather than a loose one. I thought the originals pads simply deliver the better sound. The drivers in the M100s were tuned for the original pads, not the XLs so I feel the sound is better optimized for the regular ones. I can agree that perhaps the XLs are better suited for hard rock and heavy metal, in which the original pads can provide fatiguing highs (not to mention that distorted guitar being right up to your ear). But for rap, hip-hop, electronic, classic rock, acoustic, folk, the original pads are the way to go. 

Really?  Are you kidding?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back