V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 24, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #1,501 of 23,366
Actually in trying out the prototype M-100's in the Tokyo show earlier this month the highs actually seem to be a tad higher than the M-80s. I could be wrong but that was my feeling. So to me that's a good thing.

It was the bass that felt needing a little tightening up.

Are the choice of hinges final though? To me seems to break the V-Moda aesthetics.

May 24, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #1,502 of 23,366
Personally I'm curious whereabouts the bass quantity ends up at, in my personal experiment from testing various bass boosted headphones including from a bit smaller boosted to the biggest boosted bass quantities available (we're talking about 3 ~ 15dB range) I really think 8~9dB is roughly the ideal amount in terms of bass quantity vs quality in the whole range. I've never heard a a headphone with 10dB+ boost that doesn't come with a noticable midrange impact. M-Audio Q40 are quite spot on, aprox 8~9dB boost and manages to somehow to be quite free from midrange bass bloat. You should pick up one for "scientific research" to get a good idea whereabouts is the max possible bass quantity before it starts impacting on midrange/highs noticably and M-Audio Q40 is right there on the border of becoming intrusive on the whole range but also manages to have some very impressive bass extension and impact (needs slight amping to get the most out of it).

Ultrasone PR900 also comes with pretty similar amount of bass, about 9dB (peak) boost which is also known for it's impressive bass impact vs no midrange bass bleed but this headphone is heavily V-shape signature which isn't my cup of tea, Q40 on the other hand is very balanced in the mids & highs except for the noticable bass boost.

I'm personally hoping M100 would end up having a bass boost peak of around 8~9dB, I'm a basshead but I don't like to trade especially midrange detail for pure bass quantity. For me the FR response graph of the M100 is what I'm looking most forward to when more info gets released.

May 24, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #1,503 of 23,366
Quote:
Personally I'm curious whereabouts the bass quantity ends up at, in my personal experiment from testing various bass boosted headphones including from a bit smaller boosted to the biggest boosted bass quantities available (we're talking about 3 ~ 15dB range) I really think 8~9dB is roughly the ideal amount in terms of bass quantity vs quality in the whole range. I've never heard a a headphone with 10dB+ boost that doesn't come with a noticable midrange impact. M-Audio Q40 are quite spot on, aprox 8~9dB boost and manages to somehow to be quite free from midrange bass bloat. You should pick up one for "scientific research" to get a good idea whereabouts is the max possible bass quantity before it starts impacting on midrange/highs noticably and M-Audio Q40 is right there on the border of becoming intrusive on the whole range but also manages to have some very impressive bass extension and impact.

Ultrasone PR900 also comes with pretty similar amount of bass, about 9dB (peak) boost which is also known for it's impressive bass impact vs no midrange bass bleed but this headphone is heavily V-shape signature which isn't my cup of tea, Q40 on the other hand is very balanced in the mids & highs except for the noticable bass boost.

I'm personally hoping M100 would end up having a bass boost peak of around 8~9dB, I'm a basshead but I don't like to trade especially midrange detail for pure bass quantity. For me the FR response graph of the M100 is what I'm looking most forward to when more info gets released.

I completely agree with RPGWiZARD and we have both commented positively about the Q40.  If the M100 can provide a similar bass signature to the Q40 (amazing for the price) with slightly more forward mids and have a more refined high end (not brighter, just better articulated) with no sibilance compared to the Q40, it will be a big winner in the headphone wars.

May 24, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #1,504 of 23,366
Quote:
Actually in trying out the prototype M-100's in the Tokyo show earlier this month the highs actually seem to be a tad higher than the M-80s. I could be wrong but that was my feeling. So to me that's a good thing.
Are the choice of hinges final though? To me seems to break the V-Moda aesthetics.

Glad to hear about the highs and hope the bass is tightened up in production.  While I don't like bass that is so heavy it bleeds into the mids.  For me, just like a flat screen tv can't be too big, bass can't be too tight, powerful and deep when called for in the track.  Regarding the hinges, I don't think it hurts the look since they won't be hinged when wearing them and it just serves to make them more compact.  I'm sure the hinge is extremely durable, so no worries about wear.  Based on the pics, it is a gorgeous headphone.

May 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #1,505 of 23,366
Quote:

This may not be a fair question, but I am trying to find a point of reference having never heard V-Moda headphones.  How did the clarity and detail of vocals with the M-100 compare to higher end closed circumaural headphones in the 1K range such as Ultrasone Signature Pros if you have listened to them?

May 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #1,507 of 23,366
After having the M-80s a few weeks now, I definitely would love to try the M100s.!!!
I found the M-80s to be pleasing and even comfortable for me (I don't usually use 'on-ear' headphones'. The sound spectrum was very well balanced with enough highs, mids and good bass impact and quantity. A bit small but they actually are great and come with enough stuff (2 cables, modifiable plates, etc.) for the price!

Although I probably wont keep them (M80s), I will definitely look out for these new ones.

Can't wait to keep spending my hard-earned cash!! LOL :p

May 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,509 of 23,366
Quote:
This may not be a fair question, but I am trying to find a point of reference having never heard V-Moda headphones.  How did the clarity and detail of vocals with the M-100 compare to higher end closed circumaural headphones in the 1K range such as Ultrasone Signature Pros if you have listened to them?

Hmm...I have to be honest that the two are quite different and IMHO, it's comparing apples to oranges. To me at least the Signature Pros are quite detailed and I like them for, say, Jazz & Classical, and possibly even some types 80's pop. The M-100 OTOH was great for hip-hop. From recollection, although the highs seems a little more apparent than the M-80's, they're not like the Signature Pros or the Edition 8's.

Some examples which I listened to with the M-100...I really enjoyed Black Eyed Peas' E.N.D. album, but something like Lana Del Rey's "Video Game" or "Born To Die" wasn't to my liking. Again, this was based on my recollection 2 weeks back, and I have to stress, a prototype of the M-100. I have no idea how much of the final production was tweaked.

They're just different and at least for me, I won't even say one is better than the other - but just different.

May 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,511 of 23,366
If V-Moda makes these in Pearl White, it'd look sick.  The M-80s look beautiful in Pearl White :)

May 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #1,512 of 23,366
Quote:
I appreciate the patience... we are working so hard on the product and now doing the ad campaign of the photos, videos of the product...

we did a MAD SCIENTIST photo shoot today for a M-100 ad, it's so sick! 

Is he enough of a Mad Scientist to drink Dr. Pepper and travel time?

Joking and obscure references aside, my hope to get these cans has not slowed down! If there are Pre-Signs COUNT ME IN!

Quote:
Will the V-Moda M100 work with any amp (like the Fiio e6 and e17) or will I have to buy the VAMP which is specific to the M100 if I want some amplification?

As much as I was afriad to ask this, I really do want to know what would be the best alternative since I do not have an iDevice. I know Val might have plans to release other VAMP models for non-iDevices but that will be quite awhile from now!

May 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #1,513 of 23,366
Is he enough of a Mad Scientist to drink Dr. Pepper and travel time?

Joking and obscure references aside, my hope to get these cans has not slowed down! If there are Pre-Signs COUNT ME IN!

I don't know what presigns means... Could be just the name of some phase of production, not pre-ordering or early availability. If its something like signing an NDA and providing review samples, then obviously most of us would be happy to have a sneak peak and write well-considered reviews and promotion to be unleashed on day 1 of release, but honestly I think I'm too anonymous to get that chance. I suppose we'll either find out, or just keep waiting until release.

As much as I was afriad to ask this, I really do want to know what would be the best alternative since I do not have an iDevice. I know Val might have plans to release other VAMP models for non-iDevices but that will be quite awhile from now!

The nice thing about iDevices is that they're ubiquitous, and the form factor and dock connector are standardized. Getting a case that fits both a very slim iPod 4th gen and an iPhone 4s is challenging yet possible/adaptable, but I think the main thing is that only iDevices have the dock connector port (common on all models), while other manufacturers have this or that USB connector with this or that amount of functionality, and just how large the iDevice user base is. Absolutely dominant in the music player space for many years, a fact even if one personally prefers something else.
That said, I'm PREEEEETTY sure the M-100 has a headphone minijack for sound input, and thus any amp along the chain to the M-100's headphone jack will work. I can't imagine a sane/mass market company making a proprietary connecter required, so I would be very surprised if you could only use the M-100 only with a specific amp. V-MODA's first amp even, right?

May 24, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #1,514 of 23,366
I already have M-80s (on their way back from warranty repair), so I'm not sure if it would be worth selling them and getting the M-100s. Maybe I should just wait for the so called revolver. 

May 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #1,515 of 23,366
Quote:

Highs extend further than M-80.  Bass is a bit like LP2 right now but slightly tighter, which prototype did you try?  We have a few roaming around so they have some uniqueness to each unit right now.

Hinges finished tooling!  The hinges will slightly break the ultra-sleek minimalism aesthetics of LP2/M-80, however many others like it as it adds to the "metal machine" look and they have a really amazing "movement/lock" that feels like a million bucks.  We hope they can even can be user replaced.  I view it like the part of a sport-bike motorcycle that is "naked" while the rest is still sleek.

did you see new small case? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back